X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's a beast Doc!

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
      6.5 prc 143 eldx? How far and how did it perform? And are you saving your brass for me? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Yes, that is what I shot him with. Shot was 168 yards. The eld-x blew through him. Deer went about 20 yards. Top of the heart and a lot of the lungs destroyed. I love that gun!

Comment

Congrats sir and thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
          I hate the last few pics we took! I look super fat and they wanted me to wear the ranch hat. It is a giant trucker thing and I already have a big fat head! Looks terrible!!!!!!

Awesome [emoji1662]! Congrats. Nice to know I'm in good company,
          7 3/4 [emoji145][emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Great deer Doc! Sounds like a great trip. Good job

Comment

Alright, here is the story from last night. We went to a pasture they call south Texas. I saw a trail cam pic of a nice 10 point there that should go 150’s. The ranch owner had seen a main frame 12 point with a kicker back there. So that’s where we decided to go. We got in the stand at 3:30 abd the wind was howling! I bet it was blowing 25+mph. Pretty slow sit until the feder spun at 4:45. A bunch of doves came in and probably 30 blue quail. Two spikes wandered by but didn’t come in. About 5:30 I saw a bobcat and got ready to shoot. He started trotting toward the blind and never would turn. He got to about 100 yards and turned in to the brush and disappeared. I was upset at not getting a shot! With about 20 minutes oh light left Thad(ranch owner) spots antlers moving through the brush and coming towards the feeder. Feeder is at 154 yards abd protein is 165 yards. I can see the bucks in the brush but the only rack i can see is an 8 point. Within 4-5 minutes out steps the 8 abd the y’all timed 10. Plus about 4 does came in. We started sizing up the 10 point. His body wasn’t real big but we figured that was post rut. He looked to be a 5-6 year old buck. I told Thad that that g2 had to be close to 14 inches! He agreed and light was fading fast. He told me it was my decision on the buck but he was a shooter. I looked one more time and realized he had several points that were 12 inches or better. I am always a sucker for unique bucks! I got the gun up and he was behind or further away that the feeders. I ranged him at 168 yards and let the crosshairs settle. I squeezed off the shot and it felt good. The buck plowed forward and dust was flying. He made it to the brush and a second later I saw a buck run back across the road. I worried for a minute that I had blown the shot! We got down and there was a lot of blood at the impact site and the buck was dead right at the edge of the brush. He went about 20 yards. The buck that crossed the road was the 8 point that was with him. He is a cool deer and super tall. He ended up being 6.5 years old. I didn’t score him but I did run over while steaks were cooking and measured a few times. The longest is his left g2 and it’s 14 inches. The right g2 is just under 12 inches and his right g3 is 12 inches. That’s some serious time length in my book! He isn’t real heavy but he is unique and I’m excited to have shot him.

Comment

Another wise thought from docmay: peach moonshine is not good as a chaser for whiskey! My head is a little sore this am!!!!

Comment

Here is an old fort that has been restored on the ranch. There are several buildings there. The inscription on the rock is from the 1880’s. Apparently general Bullis of Camp Bullis was stationed here at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the water tank at Meyer’s spring. Built by the Army Corp of engineers. The spring is the namesake of the ranch. The Indian pictographs are on the rock face just left of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice, congrats, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                        Alright, here is the story from last night. We went to a pasture they call south Texas. I saw a trail cam pic of a nice 10 point there that should go 150’s. The ranch owner had seen a main frame 12 point with a kicker back there. So that’s where we decided to go. We got in the stand at 3:30 abd the wind was howling! I bet it was blowing 25+mph. Pretty slow sit until the feder spun at 4:45. A bunch of doves came in and probably 30 blue quail. Two spikes wandered by but didn’t come in. About 5:30 I saw a bobcat and got ready to shoot. He started trotting toward the blind and never would turn. He got to about 100 yards and turned in to the brush and disappeared. I was upset at not getting a shot! With about 20 minutes oh light left Thad(ranch owner) spots antlers moving through the brush and coming towards the feeder. Feeder is at 154 yards abd protein is 165 yards. I can see the bucks in the brush but the only rack i can see is an 8 point. Within 4-5 minutes out steps the 8 abd the y’all timed 10. Plus about 4 does came in. We started sizing up the 10 point. His body wasn’t real big but we figured that was post rut. He looked to be a 5-6 year old buck. I told Thad that that g2 had to be close to 14 inches! He agreed and light was fading fast. He told me it was my decision on the buck but he was a shooter. I looked one more time and realized he had several points that were 12 inches or better. I am always a sucker for unique bucks! I got the gun up and he was behind or further away that the feeders. I ranged him at 168 yards and let the crosshairs settle. I squeezed off the shot and it felt good. The buck plowed forward and dust was flying. He made it to the brush and a second later I saw a buck run back across the road. I worried for a minute that I had blown the shot! We got down and there was a lot of blood at the impact site and the buck was dead right at the edge of the brush. He went about 20 yards. The buck that crossed the road was the 8 point that was with him. He is a cool deer and super tall. He ended up being 6.5 years old. I didn’t score him but I did run over while steaks were cooking and measured a few times. The longest is his left g2 and it’s 14 inches. The right g2 is just under 12 inches and his right g3 is 12 inches. That’s some serious time length in my book! He isn’t real heavy but he is unique and I’m excited to have shot him.

Congrats and once again thank for taking us with and sharing your story.

Comment

Nice buck Doc! Congrats!

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome hunt...congrats again!

Comment

Great buck Doc. Congratulations.

Comment

congrats -- nice buck.

Comment

Working...
                                X