No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following! I got to get my butt out to my lease and get after it!

Comment

Gotta love those big 6s. Love hate deal though. Hate they are there. Love mowing them down

Comment

2021-2022 Hill Country Hunting Thread

We just got back from a memorable trip to my folks’ little place outside of Doss. Other than the stomach bug being passed around, it was a great 4 days with family, good food, and great memories made. I took my daughter to sit with me 2 years ago for the first time when she was 3 at my folks’. She made a couple of sits with me in south TX last year, and has been begging me to take her hunting all year. We only bow hunt in Doss, except for the kids, but I talked to my dad about shooting a doe with my daughter in the blind with me so that she could get the full experience, and make sure that she handled it ok. So Friday evening, we went to the same blind she sat in with me 2 years ago, and there were deer there when we got there. I had my .300 Blk pistol and we were looking for a big doe. 5 deer at the feeder when it went off, and 2 minutes after 6 more came in. One of them was a beautiful 11 point, and I noticed he had a wound on his back right be hind the shoulder. I quickly told my daughter we were going to shoot that deer, and we quickly got our hearing protection on. She watched through the bino’s as I squeezed the trigger and dumped him. I immediately looked to see what her reaction was, and is was pure excitement! She was squealing, shaking, and high fiving me as if she’d shot him herself. We calm down (slightly) and a big doe walked out. I asked her if we should shoot her, too, and she says “yeah!!” so I dumped her, too. One of the best hunting experiences I’ve ever had, and I am absolutely stoked to work with her and get her ready for next year. It turns out that the buck was the same deer that my niece shot last Wednesday evening. She’s new to bow hunting, and couldn’t control buck fever when she shot him. I wished she’d have gotten a 2nd chance at him, but it it turned out to be a great memory with my daughter. As soon as my family came to pick us and the deer up, my daughter asked her mom if she could hang the deer in her room, and surprisingly momma said yes. I sugggested a skull mount to my daughter, but she says “no, I want the whole thing like your deer in Pawpaw’s cabin”. [emoji2361]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by txheartshot; 11-28-2021, 09:49 AM. Reason: Pics didn’t post

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          Following! I got to get my butt out to my lease and get after it!
          Well I did just that!!![emoji457] (As I quote myself.)
          I'm actually on stand now waiting on a mature doe to slip up. Got here Friday afternoon and so far 3 for 3!
          No monster bucks on any cameras but this 9 point was 6.5 years old and solid for Stonewall, Texas. I have seen 2 fawns that look super young. Honestly, almost as if just out of spots.....they both looked quite feeble.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great job guys!!

Comment

I'm actually on stand now waiting on a mature doe to slip up. Got here Friday afternoon and so far 3 for 3!
              No monster bucks on any cameras but this 9 point was 6.5 years old and solid for Stonewall, Texas. I have seen 2 fawns that look super young. Honestly, almost as if just out of spots.....they both looked quite feeble.

That’s a stud of a buck for Stonewall. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Personal best so far. Good year for horns. Good year for me. Black Friday afternoon hunt.
                Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=txheartshot;15960412]We just got back from a memorable trip to my folks’ little place outside of Doss. Other than the stomach bug being passed around, it was a great 4 days with family, good food, and great memories made. I took my daughter to sit with me 2 years ago for the first time when she was 3 at my folks’. She made a couple of sits with me in south TX last year, and has been begging me to take her hunting all year. We only bow hunt in Doss, except for the kids, but I talked to my dad about shooting a doe with my daughter in the blind with me so that she could get the full experience, and make sure that she handled it ok. So Friday evening, we went to the same blind she sat in with me 2 years ago, and there were deer there when we got there. I had my .300 Blk pistol and we were looking for a big doe. 5 deer at the feeder when it went off, and 2 minutes after 6 more came in. One of them was a beautiful 11 point, and I noticed he had a wound on his back right be hind the shoulder. I quickly told my daughter we were going to shoot that deer, and we quickly got our hearing protection on. She watched through the bino’s as I squeezed the trigger and dumped him. I immediately looked to see what her reaction was, and is was pure excitement! She was squealing, shaking, and high fiving me as if she’d shot him herself. We calm down (slightly) and a big doe walked out. I asked her if we should shoot her, too, and she says “yeah!!” so I dumped her, too. One of the best hunting experiences I’ve ever had, and I am absolutely stoked to work with her and get her ready for next year. It turns out that the buck was the same deer that my niece shot last Wednesday evening. She’s new to bow hunting, and couldn’t control buck fever when she shot him. I wished she’d have gotten a 2nd chance at him, but it it turned out to be a great memory with my daughter. As soon as my family came to pick us and the deer up, my daughter asked her mom if she could hang the deer in her room, and surprisingly momma said yes. I sugggested a skull mount to my daughter, but she says “no, I want the whole thing like your deer in Pawpaw’s cabin”. [emoji2361]

Congratulations to the young lady !

Comment

Nice buck, Oscar. Congratulations!

Comment

Great weekend at the lease

Had my 2 boys and my granddaughter Saturday at the lease. My son has been wanting to take his daughter hunting, still little young to shoot, but enjoys sitting in the stand watching the deer. Well he connected on a nice 10 and set the mood in camp this weekend. Good times with family and friends. Another good deer for Stonewall area.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tx-Burt View Post
                        Had my 2 boys and my granddaughter Saturday at the lease. My son has been wanting to take his daughter hunting, still little young to shoot, but enjoys sitting in the stand watching the deer. Well he connected on a nice 10 and set the mood in camp this weekend. Good times with family and friends. Another good deer for Stonewall area.
                        Congratulations!

Comment

Congratulations on all the successful hunts so far!

A little late for the add, but my daughter connected with a decent 8 point for Kerr County during the gun opener on 11/6/21.

He walked in from the draw below us at 4:30 pm with his back turned to towards us and never stopped. 2 minutes later he had circled back around to the feeder with a doe in sight. He stopped just long enough for a clean shot. Using her grandpa's 25-06, she dropped him where he stood!

Gotta love a Hill Country sunrise!

Comment

Originally posted by DizzyTx View Post
                            Personal best so far. Good year for horns. Good year for me. Black Friday afternoon hunt.
                            Awesome deer, love the split G2 and the long brow tines!

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                              Son wacked this 6 yr old cull this weekend it’s his best Whitetail to date. Had. 4 year old 150 class buck several 3 year olds and a young doe at the feeder when he came in ears laid back and took the place over.
                              Congrats on your sons buck! A good one indeed. I gotta get over to see ya when I am back in town.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                                Awesome deer, love the split G2 and the long brow tines!
                                Thanks. He had a gross of 145 with 19 1/2 inside spread. 11 point

Comment

Working...
                                X