Sticker Siting/GW Stop all in one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    Yes they are and as such they are held in high regard. We as bowhunters claim to be the most ethical and law abiding sportsmen on the planet. As such, we ALL need to live up to such a claim.

I haven't lost respect for Michael or Steven because of this thread and I certainly haven't lost respect for our Texas State Game Wardens. They were doing their job. It's just that simple.

If Mary had asked me to show her how to de-bone a deer I would have in a heartbeat. If Mary had asked me to chew up a rock, I would have in a hearbeat. Honest mistake!

It sucks but it happened. I hated paying the City of Irving $250 for "going with the flow of traffic" on I-635. So what if the flow was 77 mph.

It was an innocent mistake that will hurt the wallet for a while but it is what it is. The bright side is you just potentially saved 10,000 others from making the same mistakes somewhere in the future.

Comment

What a bummer! Hate to hear this about good folks making an honest mistake and getting hammered. There sure are a lot of thieves and dirtbags out there that could better utilize the time these folks spent with yall.

Comment

I just hope I don't get pulled over on the way TO the deer lease this weekend, cuz I'm takin some bacon wrapped backstrap fillets with me!

So far, this week feels like it's going to be just as long as last week....

Comment

I learned the hard way about the log on the back of the license. I had shot a fat doe with my bow and had tagged her. The game warden was at the road coming out of our lease and asked if I had any luck. I was proud of my bow kill and said yes sir. I showed him the doe and gave him my hunting license. He asked me why I didn't fill out the log. It was the first year for it and I didn't have a clue it was on the back. As he was writing out the ticket I told him that I had never had a ticket and he said it wasn't a big deal it was the cheapest citation there was. So I thought maybe 50.00 or 75.00 bucks no big deal. When I called Polk county to see what my fine would be I was shocked that it was 350.00. I told the lady that it was a mistake the game warden said it was the cheapest fine there was she said that is the cheapest fine there is. I fill out the back of the license NOW!

Comment

hunt Mex...where you always get a fair deal

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
              hunt Mex...where you always get a fair deal

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba View Post
                Legdog
                I don't know the fine but ask for a deferal. This will only go on record with TP&W.Everytime a GW stops you it will come up and they'll probably look even harder. If they look hard enough they can get you on something.
                (Example) How many of ya’ll have a written consent from the owner of your lease. How many of ya’ll carry this with you when your in the field.
                Good point.

Comment

After spending the last hour reading this thread, it is a great reminder that we should take the time to read the hunting regs before the start of every hunting season. Happy Hunting

Comment

This post reminds me of one of my favorite hunting pictures…. With my very little experience with Game Wardens there are NO warnings. I am glad they do what they do, but the tickets given to LegDog were VERY unnecessary!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'm kinda shocked that so many didn't know about the quartering/processing part of the book...

Sorry it happened but many here have learned a valuable lesson.

My little menial story. I was at an in service meeting of Bow Ed instructors w/TPWD and the area instructors. Our own Dale Moses was there in full GW uniform. We were talking about something with the license and I pulled mine out. Dale saw that I had 3 tags missing/used and asked how I did that year. I told him I took 2 does and 1 buck. He asked to see my license and first thing he did (several months after season) was to check the log. It was filled out but I know he would have written me up right there if it wasn't. And it would have been his job to do so.

Moral: Read the book and ask for clarification on anything you don't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by aironeout View Post
                        Sorry for not giving a better analogy and voicing my opinion which I too think is not wrong. This is like having an argument with my brother, one that neither side ever wins and creates bad feelings all the way around.
                        Trust me, there is no animosity whatsoever on this end. I realize that anytime I voice an opinion on any topic that I open myself up to criticism, and fully understood when I posted last night that there would be plenty who disagreed with me. That's perfectly OK. If I'm going to be critical of a GW (respectfully, I hope), I should also be prepared to accept criticism (equally respectful, I hope) back in return.

Originally posted by kramer View Post
                        And there you have it...........

People should have gotten a warning because of WHO they are.
                        Originally posted by Dru View Post
                        Maybe because Steven and Michael have been such strong advocates of ethical hunting, been huge promoters of this sport, as evidenced by this site and well just all around good guys. Shut up Rudey, I'm not kissing up.
                        Some have contended that citations were issued BECAUSE of who we are (making an example of us) and some have suggested that perhaps we shouldn't have been cited BECAUSE of who we are. I thought on this last night, and I don't think that would have (or should have) swayed the officers' decisions in either direction. I think the decision to cite Steven had been made before the GW's had arrived, and I think the decision by the DPS trooper to give me a warning was also made independent of a site presence.

Originally posted by Stupid View Post
                        most threads with this sort of "tug o war" or "banter" would have been deleted or locked. Hmmm!!! Ticket or warning? Ticket or warning? I guess everyone has a difference of opinion, but when we pick up that bow next weekend we are ALL one in the same!!!!! Good Hunting!!!!!!!!
                        Not all "tug o war" threads are created equal. First, as several have attested, although there has been plenty of debate, for the most part I think it's remained exceptionally respectful, and hasn't deteriorated as generally those that get deleted do.

Secondly, I'm probably a little prone to give a thread to which I post a little additional leeway, if for no other reason than because I can. However, I also have to consider the ramifications of deleting a thread to which I offer a an opinion, because undoubtedly the same people that are critical of me for not closing the thread would be equally critical of me FOR closing the thread because I was too thin skinned to accept the return criticism from those who disagree with me. Kinda the ol' Catch 22, if you will!

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                        Sorry you got a ticket-as a LE Officer myself, handing out tickets was not the best part of my job. Yes I would rather be out catching "real" bad guys (bank robbers, rapists, child molesters) but I had a requirement that I issue citations for class C violations. I did it because it was my job-same as these GW's. I think Leg has taken responsibility and said he was in the wrong, and I respect him for that. Saying that he should have gotten a break because he is a good guy does not hold water. I have been in the wrong before-got tickets-paid a fine and moved on. We should learn from our mistakes, which I think has occurred here.

There was an article in Bowhunter Magazine several months back written by Curt Wells. He shot a moose that was undersized according to the regs. No one knew about it, yet he did the right thing and took the illegal moose to the check station and turned himself in. The GW apologized for having to write a citation, but did so because it was the law. Wrote a ticket even though Wells is a good guy, and could have just left the animal in the field and no one would have known about it. I think we can draw some parallels here.

Allthough I personally don't know the "boss" Michael, or Leg, they seem like great guys from what I have seen them post, and write. I understand being upset as no one likes getting a ticket. I have a little problem with the GW's being bashed by some of us for doing their job (Not Mike or Leg-others). There are bad cops out there no doubt. There are cops that get off to writing tickets like they are major crimes. GW's have a tough job as do all LE's. I don't think from what I have read that these two GW's were being malicious, just doing thier jobs. I'm not sure I would have given 2 citations under the circumstances, but I was not there.

Leg-as stated above, plead no contest, ask for deferred so this won't ultimately go on any record, and beg for leniency from the court.
                        Good post, and I appreciate the insight (from all LEO's on this site, as well). Part of the reason for taking the photos and posting the thread is because it's part of the story. It's also good discussion fodder, as evidenced by the variety of opinions expressed.

Hopefully the opinions expressed aren't confused with "bashing", a word that has been thrown around several times. Keep in mind, I'm not the one that received the citation. I got a warning, fortunately. I could have just as easily received a citation, and I would have accepted responsibility for it, just as Steven has for his violations.

Getting back to AirOneOut's analogy to the site (can I do that after I called it a bad analogy?), I've always said "You don't have to agree with the forum guidelines, but if you want to hang out here, you have to follow them." Similarly, I don't have to agree with the laws (or the enforcement thereof), but if I want to continue to hunt, we must accept (responsibility for breaking) them.

I'm going to email the link to this thread to both officers. I'm not sure they can or will comment, but it'd be interesting to get their feedback.

Michael
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Good info in this thread time tear the Outdoor Annual apart to prevent nit picky tickets in the future. I have talked with dozens of GW but they will take every opportunity to check to see if you are legal. Sorry again to hear about your misfortune, but remember guys/gals this can happen to anybody if we don't pay attention to the minor laws that we overlook everyday.

Comment

Law is the law, the log thing has been around for at least 4 or 5 years now and they gave warnings when it started. No excuse for it now.

Comment

I have to agree with the others, in keeping this thread open. This has been some very good and entertaining reading. Glad you had success in the field last weekend. Sorry for the citations. We all play by the rules or get spanked. One last note. Make sure you put the tag on the animal immediately, in the field. Fill everything out to the letter. I had a hunting buddy who would always wait to tag at camp. I had warned him that he was in the wrong, to no avail. One year the GW came by camp. My friend had a deer hanging in the tree, no tag. I cost him dearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                                This really has no bearing on anything but I have a Concealed Handgun License. Although I rarely ever carry, in my view this means I'm "one of the good guys"... a guy who has had a background check and gave up the time and cash to learn the laws to have the privilege to carry. (for the record, I was not carrying today).

Since I spend a lot more time bowhunting than carrying a pistol, I guess I need to try a little harder to dot my i's and cross my t's in the hunting universe.

Funny thing, not one person in our camp of what I consider to be pretty seasoned hunters made a comment about me "over processing" this deer. While I admit to my error, I just never imagined I was painting so far out the lines that I'd end up with a double hit. I was proud of my deer. A lot of effort went in to hanging that stand, descenting my clothes, capturing it on film, tagging it, processing it, taking care to make sure fresh ice was on it this morning etc etc... When the trooper asked about our weekend I was happy to share a look at our success.

When the game warden informed me he was giving me the double citation I was stunned and said "Wow! How much does that cost?" He replied, "I don't know, but its not in my budget". I agreed with that statement. I didn't budget for this either.

Again, nothing against officers who are doing what they are paid to do. I just wish I had a more positive experience to report on.

I shot her from this stand high up in a native pecan. It really is a great set up that provided me a doe last year as well.

My main lesson outside of the obvious one? I will be a lot less chatty next time.

[ATTACH]124557[/ATTACH]
                                Sorry for your trouble Steven. I can personally vouch for the fact that you are truly "one of the good guys". Good luck with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X