Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup, this one has about run its course

Comment

My sticker is in the center, will that mean I'm on the fence?

Comment

Leggy, mine is on the driver's side now and that is where it will remain.

Again, a warning (s) would have served the better good in this situation. Not only would it have caused the same out come with Steve and Michael as far as knowing and following the law; it would also have endeared the two game wardens to those two as well as the majority of this site. They (game wardens) have a thankless job and are definately under appreciated. A benfit of doubt and a reprimand could have gone a long way in this particular situation.

My offer to donate to the Legdog processing course still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Maybe those that think Leggy got what was coming to him and would have written the tickets themselves should put their TBH stickers on the right side of the back windshield to alert statewide GWs that the hunter in this vehicle supports them.

Those that think Leggy should have gotten a warning can put their stickers on the left side of the back windshield and take their chances when they are pulled over by a GW.

Dang it Shane....mine is already on the left. You trying to set me up

Some of these replies are quite comical...I think if Leggy had indeed gotten a warning, some would be calling for the GW's heads for NOT doing their job.

Comment

Good grief!

Had the local GW visit our camp this weekend and had one doe properly tagged and one buck that the hunter failed to fill out the back of the license.

He was given a warning for not filling out the back of the license.

Otherwise we stood around and tried to think of game warden jokes and BS'd with him for about 30 minutes before he left.

I like my game warden and I liked the one who worked our county the previous 8 years we have been on this lease.

I would not like my game warden if he gave out tickets for processing a deer beyond quartering. That is a piddly thing and generally will not endear someone to being cooperative in the future but then it the GW's in question may not really care.

Any one know any good game warden jokes? Made a bet with our GW that I could come up with a GW joke he hasn't heard yet via my TBH brothers. (he saw my TBH sticker on the truck as well)

Comment

some interesting opinions on this thread. I am one of the bad/mean/intolerant guys I guess, one of the folks that feels like a rule is a rule and it should be inforced, (whether it was done intentionally or not). Your story does not leave a sour taste in my mouth for game wardens at all, BUT it does make me want to go read my hunters handbook and make sure I know ALL the rules before I go hunting again. So thank you for this post for that reason and I am sorry that my lack of knowledge of hunting rules and regs had to be realized by reading of your mis-fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                Dang it Shane....mine is already on the left. You trying to set me up
                so is mine....

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                Some of these replies are quite comical...I think if Leggy had indeed gotten a warning, some would be calling for the GW's heads for NOT doing their job.

Comment

I got one on each since just for instances like this. can't catch me in the wrong!

Comment

Charlie's post about the tag staying with the carcass has me thinking. If a deer is skinned and quartered at camp and put in an ice chest and covered with ice, how would you protect the tag so the ink would not run or smear and be illegible when and if checked by a game warden? I, like Steven, have always tagged the head and kept it with the ice chest for proof of sex until final disposition. Seems like putting the tag in a wet environment is asking for trouble.

Comment

Well, I originally had intended to read this entire thread....but didn't. Too long, sorry.

My feelings on the matter....

1) You broke the law, intentionally or not (obviously NOT in your case), makes you liable to pay a fine and the GW is justified in giving one if he chooses to do so. Ignorance of the law (even a new one) is no excuse.

2) The above being said, this should have been one of those situations where the LEO realizes you are one of the "good guys" and simply made a boneheaded mistake, not intentionally broke the law. Warnings, not citations, should have been issued, in my opinion.

3) Given the situation, those GW's gave up some quality field time to cite you for a very minor infraction, when they might instead have happened on a serious game violation wherever they were when the DPS officer called them to come check you out. I believe a proper analogy would be the cops taking the time to cite someone for jaywalking when a bank robbery might have been in progress around the corner.

4) It is situations like these where the LEO fraternity really shoot themselves in the foot. It is situations like these that really make the public at large wonder exactly whether LEO are here to put criminals in jail, uphold justice and keep the general peace, or whether they are more interested in harassing good citizens who are law-abiding 99% of the time until they make a boneheaded mistake, an accident. LEO only make their REAL job that much harder by spending valuable time harassing the "good guys" instead of using that time to try and find the "bad guys".

My advice is to pay the fine, chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned, and on future trips hide your ice chests very deep under all your other luggage in a very inaccessible spot, even if you tagged everything properly and are completely within the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Dru View Post
                        Leggy, mine is on the driver's side now and that is where it will remain.

Again, a warning (s) would have served the better good in this situation. Not only would it have caused the same out come with Steve and Michael as far as knowing and following the law; it would also have endeared the two game wardens to those two as well as the majority of this site. They (game wardens) have a thankless job and are definately under appreciated. A benfit of doubt and a reprimand could have gone a long way in this particular situation.

My offer to donate to the Legdog processing course still stands.

Why do people continue to say the GW was doing his job BUT......

Where does this feeling of entitlement and discretion come from. If he had given a warning it would have endeared him to the TBH crew???? So basically he was doing his job, but people on this forum can bash that because they feel he should have handled it a different way??? So now we have a thread with the GW's pictures posted, several people outright saying they dont like GW's for this specific reason and yet it continues to go on.

We have some simple rules at my house and my 3 and 6 year old seem to handle those better than most hunters seem to be taking this--

1--Treat others as you would have them treat you
                        2--you get what you get and you dont pitch a fit

Comment

I don't think it was the TBH sticker that influenced their decision to cite. It was the Aggie sticker!

Comment

Hey ty729-

A very good friend of mine was the warden for Irion county prior to the one you have now. He is a good man. I would trust the lives of my family to him, without question.

Comment

Originally posted by Double L View Post
                              Charlie's post about the tag staying with the carcass has me thinking. If a deer is skinned and quartered at camp and put in an ice chest and covered with ice, how would you protect the tag so the ink would not run or smear and be illegible when and if checked by a game warden? I, like Steven, have always tagged the head and kept it with the ice chest for proof of sex until final disposition. Seems like putting the tag in a wet environment is asking for trouble.
                              Permanent marker or sharpie.

Ziplock baggie with the tag inside, kept with the meat.

Upon shooting a deer I fill out tag and log with sharpie, fully cut out the day and month, attach the tag to a leg of the deer with electrical tape (keep small knife, sharpie and electrical tape in your backpack).

There is even a company out there that sells small sealable pouches to put your tag in, with a hole to wire it to the head/body.

Be aware too if you use wire or string and attach to the antlers, your tag can rip and blow away.
                              Last edited by kramer; 10-05-2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                                Maybe those that think Leggy got what was coming to him and would have written the tickets themselves should put their TBH stickers on the right side of the back windshield to alert statewide GWs that the hunter in this vehicle supports them.

Those that think Leggy should have gotten a warning can put their stickers on the left side of the back windshield and take their chances when they are pulled over by a GW.

You asked for it you got it. Guess you could say I'm a "Right-Winged" kind of individual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04342 [640x480].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	23902873
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04343 [640x480].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	23902874

>E

Comment