No announcement yet.

Sticker Siting/GW Stop all in one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about that Legdog. Guess it was a slow weekend for them.....and the fact they needed 2 GW's to investigate is a little ridiculous.

Comment

What county was the stop in so we know where Barney and Gomer work?
      Last edited by unclefish; 10-04-2009, 08:19 PM.

Comment

That is too funny! I needed a good laugh.....

Congrats on the doe though!

Comment

Originally posted by Birddogss View Post
          Sorry about the fine...but the GW's handled it right purely for the reason that if they hadn't given you the citations this thread wouldn't be what it is...they got the word out by making a example out of you ....follow ALL the rules no exceptions...now we all know
          Valid point, I suppose. But does that "word" get lost in the other message that was sent that it's not a good idea to engage law enforcement in any friendly conversation. Here's an example...

Earlier in the week, Howard posted about a buck that had been seen on a place that he has permission to hunt with an arrow sticking out both sides of his neck. He wondered if he should contact the local game warden, since he might incorrectly be a suspect because he hunts the place. My advise to him last week was to call and talk to the GW to let him know that JT would keep an eye out for the perpetrator. After this situation, perhaps my advice to him would be to steer clear of talking to the GW because he runs the risk of having the GW start searching for possible infractions that JT might not even be aware of (ie, honestly, while I remember hearing something about the processing regulation, it never would have crossed my mind, and I possibly - don't want to open myself up for a violation! - have unknowingly violated that regulation before). There's a likelihood that I've forgotten to fill out the log on my license in a previous season, too.

Michael
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

I just checked the TPWD regulaton booklet. Nowhere does it say that you can't process your game beyond quartering....unless I missed something.....Page 59 and 60 of the reg book. Maybe someone else can find it.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that Legdog.

Comment

I'm at a loss here. If you had cooked some of the meat then wouldn't the processing been okay? As for the log, I know there was a thread on TBH last and this year about being sure you fill out the log. I write it down as I pull the tag off to place on the deer or I too would forget.

Sorry to hear about the citation Legdog, maybe the judge will understand.

Comment

This really has no bearing on anything but I have a Concealed Handgun License. Although I rarely ever carry, in my view this means I'm "one of the good guys"... a guy who has had a background check and gave up the time and cash to learn the laws to have the privilege to carry. (for the record, I was not carrying today).

Since I spend a lot more time bowhunting than carrying a pistol, I guess I need to try a little harder to dot my i's and cross my t's in the hunting universe.

Funny thing, not one person in our camp of what I consider to be pretty seasoned hunters made a comment about me "over processing" this deer. While I admit to my error, I just never imagined I was painting so far out the lines that I'd end up with a double hit. I was proud of my deer. A lot of effort went in to hanging that stand, descenting my clothes, capturing it on film, tagging it, processing it, taking care to make sure fresh ice was on it this morning etc etc... When the trooper asked about our weekend I was happy to share a look at our success.

When the game warden informed me he was giving me the double citation I was stunned and said "Wow! How much does that cost?" He replied, "I don't know, but its not in my budget". I agreed with that statement. I didn't budget for this either.

Again, nothing against officers who are doing what they are paid to do. I just wish I had a more positive experience to report on.

I shot her from this stand high up in a native pecan. It really is a great set up that provided me a doe last year as well.

My main lesson outside of the obvious one? I will be a lot less chatty next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	my stand.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	23902815

Comment

Sorry it happened guys! Kinda puts a damper on a successful weekend!

However, I'm not surprised the Trooper called the GWs and I'm not surprised citations were issued, especially given the fact photos were taken. Most of us have superiors to whom we answer as I am sure the GWs do as well. The log on the license has been the most issued citation since its inception. It has been said on this site numerous times by various people. I don't view either as a minor infraction. If I am speeding and don't have my DL or insurance card, then I get 2 or 3 citations, all a Mis. C.

Sorry it happened, Steven! Hopefully, the Judge will have some sympathy. I realize I have a totally different outlook than many on this site and I don't always necessarily agree with all citations issued by GWs. However, if laws are broken, don't be surprised if citations are issued. Sorry your attitude has changed towards GWs. They were just doing their job as unpleasant as it was.

Comment

Good call on the photos.

Comment

$500 fine for not filling out the log on the back. They got my cuz in Brady a couple years ago. DPS stopped him for obstuction of his licence plate and noticed the deer in the back of the truck and called the GW. When he checked his licence he got cited. Very expensive hunting trip!

Comment

Guys, I know it stinks to get a ticket, and we all feel like it was a situation where a warning was in order whenever it happens to us. But, the GWs were kinda painted into a corner, I imagine. When you take a picture of the GW holding a bag of obviously boned-out meat and tell them that the pics and story are going to be on a popular Texas hunting website......well, they pretty much have to write the tickets. Not only are a bunch of Texas hunters watching their handling of the situation now, but maybe their boss(es) are watching too. I suspect that they would have a hard time writing a warning when there are two violations so well-documented and promised to be publicized.

Maybe they felt bad about having to cite such nice folks, or maybe they enjoyed it. I don't know, but either way they probably didn't have much choice in that situation.

I hate that it happened, and I'd hate it even more if it happened to me! That's for sure. I'm sure I'd feel that I deserved a warning since I took the deer legally and had no intent whatsoever of breaking any kind of law or wasting any of the meat or anything like that. Ethical and legal aren't always identical, I guess. Stinks to get a ticket like that when you know somewhere out there, a guy was probably carrying home just the backstraps and antlers of a poached deer that was taken on his "long lease".

Comment

That's dirty! Can't stand just about every GW I've come across! How much more obvious can you make it that you are not poaching or out to "cheat" and they still write you full blown ticketS? UUUGH

Comment

I hate to say it but would think the camera helped you get the citation.I don't believe the GW has written warnings and would believe they sure would not want pictures taken of them not doing their job. I can sure see some YO YO trying to use this forum as a defense saying "Look judge these guys didn't get wrote up for processing their deer in camp and not documenting the kill on the back of the license". Just my opinion if a camera was to come out better do it by the book. I might be a little one sided being in a cop for 25 yrs but would sure go by the book if pictures were being taken to avoid any grief in the future.The GW did his job now its up to the JP in the court the citation is issued. Might be worth talking to him you never know possibly a reduced fine or dismissal. Just my two cent opinion take care.

Comment

I too have had a bad experience with a GW last year. I do respect them and glad they are there but it left a bad taste in my mouth. It cost me almost a year back and forth with the prosecuting attorney, a big favor from a buddy that is an attorney only to show up for a jury trial to have it dismissed for lack of evidence that was brought up to the GW the day he issued the citation. Sorry guys at least it’s a good write up. Thanks for sharing the misery.

Comment

Working...
                                X