The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
    Been testing heads for this years elk hunt and have found my final pick. Very very impressed with this head
    It looks angry. What is it?

Comment

Shooting dead on out to 70yards with my field points and out penetrated another 2 blade I was testing. Stupid sharp and the toughest mechanical I have ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
        What recommendations do you all have for a cow call? Also looking for the best pair of boots in the $200 price range. I cannot pay more than that. My workouts are gearing up and I have lost more than ten pounds! Colorado here we come!

Phelps amp in grey or the maverick which I believe is red. I’ve got like 5 of each in my pack

Comment

Been testing heads for this years elk hunt and have found my final pick. Very very impressed with this head

Looks "cool", but that's too many moving parts for me to use on a big-boned elk. I'm sure it will perform well if you slip it between the ribs.

Comment

Magnus broadheads are 22$ online through gander mtn

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              Looks "cool", but that's too many moving parts for me to use on a big-boned elk. I'm sure it will perform well if you slip it between the ribs.
              Head is very simple and strong. I Have no problem with putting one through a rib bone. Shoulders are a problem for any head given angles regardless if fixed or mechical. My goal is to never test a head out on a shoulder through accuracy

Comment

Originally posted by Bbostick25 View Post
                Magnus broadheads are 22$ online through gander mtn
                My son folded a stinger like a J a couple weeks ago .. 40 lb bow . He hit the femer of a 100 lb sow.. i killed a cow Elk with one last year and it did the same thing on the off side leg..
                I'll be shooting Iron will and Exodus heads this year..

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                  Phelps amp in grey or the maverick which I believe is red. I’ve got like 5 of each in my pack

Maverick is my go to as well. Good cow sounds and great for bugle. Won’t wear out like a lot of other calls

Comment

Head is very simple and strong. I Have no problem with putting one through a rib bone. Shoulders are a problem for any head given angles regardless if fixed or mechical. My goal is to never test a head out on a shoulder through accuracy
                    I hear ya. Most of the guys in our elk group shoot Rage's. Just be careful on the quartering shots. With 2 moving planes, I could see some deflected shots, especially if hitting ribs. I would bet on perfect broadside shots, that head should do well.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                      Maverick is my go to as well. Good cow sounds and great for bugle. Won’t wear out like a lot of other calls
                      Maverick here also, it’s a very tight stretch, takes a 30+ hard bugles your break it in though. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        I decided to use my fixed broad heads over mechanical last for that reason. Not to say it wouldn't work or one is better than the other I like em both. My Mech rage heads have a ridiculous cut on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

It cracks me up every time someone post the same o fixed blade statements every time a mechanical is posted. You would almost think a elk has never been lost with a fixed blade broadhead. LoL

Was just posting a positive report on a head . Shoot what makes you feel confident Boys.

Comment

For anybody who has hunted the Gravelies Range in SW Montana near the Idaho border, here’s Black Butte in July.

And snow still on the mountains at 9k feet.

We had a search and rescue training mission yesterday. Last season there were 4 griz attacks in this area. We did not see any. Be bear aware- UDAP spray position where you can access it immediately. I added a 45 with buffalo bore bear loads and had a 12 gauge slug gun on my side by side.

Be safe- I’d like to meet ya- but not up there at 2 am. It’s 3+ hours from when we would leave our building until we’re there. Carry a Spot or InReach in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It cracks me up every time someone post the same o fixed blade statements every time a mechanical is posted. You would almost think a elk has never been lost with a fixed blade broadhead. LoL

Was just posting a positive report on a head . Shoot what makes you feel confident Boys.
                              Those elk lost on fixed blade heads are probably result of a bad shot not a malfunction.
                              I would say talk with a few elk outfitters and guides and see what they have to say about mechanicals on elk. Most have been in on hundreds of elk hunts not one a year. They would have the best advice .
                              I always wondered if they can deploy if you hit a twig or branch, perhaps shoot through grass ?

I bet if you make a good shot they will work fine, but as stated that one has lots of moving parts to go wrong.
                              Good luck on your hunt though, hope you get into some bugling.

Comment

I’ve killed elk with mechanicals(ulmer) but have also seen some crazy deflections because of blades bending or breaking via other types of mechanicals, grant it all elk but one was recovered but some of those deflections made some horrific tracking jobs. No doubt a fixed wouldn’t of deflected inside and probably been a clean passtru.

Same time I’ve also seen a 550 grain 25% FOC arrow with a single bevel fixed out Of a 72lbs bow hit shoulder at 20yards, and make it just a few inches, only to watch the bull three days later pushing cows 2 miles away, with a limp and gash in his shoulder.

There is No magic bullet but I’d recommend a happy medium between cutting diameter and durable construction instead of drawing a line in the sand either way from experience.

Wont recommend a fixed with tip curling issues like stringers nor one with a small cutting diameter like kudu, as I also wouldn’t recommend a long thin bladed mechanical like rage non +p’s either. Just my opinion formed from a lot of Mine and buddies archery hunting elk screw ups and mishaps.

Comment

Working...
                                X