No announcement yet.

I hate wasps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are missing the most fun you can have outside dove season. Wing shooting mud daubers and wasp is incredible fun and addicting. Get you a super soaker and fill with water, add a tablespoon or two of dawn soap, start nailing those suckers mid air. Take out an entire nest at once or if you are more sporty, pick them off one by one as they come and go. Nothing better than hanging out in the pool with a cold beer and blasting these things.

Helpful hints:
    Get a super soaker that doesnt hold pressure in a tank, it leaks over time and you have to repump up, get the one that sprays with every pump of the handle
    I found a water gun that has a good 1ft pattern at about 15ft, good soap soaking at that distance, any closer and it basically knocks them out cold
    Create a little muddy area nearby, it's like baiting them in, works great

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
      I’ve always taken the “don’t bother me and I won’t bother you” stance
      That's a family joke with us. My dad used to always tell my brother and me that. We'd be doing the whole flailing arms, jumping, and dancing around when they'd fly around us and Dad would always say, "Don't bother them and they won't bother you."
      Then one day we were all standing out in the middle of the yard talking about something and one of those huge, fuzzy bees flew down out of nowhere and stung my dad right on his ear.
      He hasn't lived down that saying yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        Anybody know what those tiny little wasps are called? I have a bunch of them around the house this year. They are colored similar to a yellow jacket but they are smaller than a honey bee and have a surprisingly painful sting for being so small. I've been popped by them several times recently while working on gutters
        John, I think you are talking about Guinea wasps. Mean little devils and were what we called yellow jackets before I became edumacated. Yellow Jackets are ground dwelling while Guineas are just like Reds, making a paper nest errrywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
          John, I think you are talking about Guinea wasps. Mean little devils and were what we called yellow jackets before I became edumacated. Yellow Jackets are ground dwelling while Guineas are just like Reds, making a paper nest errrywhere!
          I Googled pics of Guinea Wasps and I think you are right. They are only about 1/2" long but very aggressive - you don't even have to disturb their nest - just get anywhere close and here they come!

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
            Been calling these suckers out here in West Texas yellow jackets for years but I think they are actually Guineas. Thanks for the tid bit.

Comment

A few years ago I was on the very top of a 6 ft ladder (super safe I know) and I was topping my wife's Will Fleming trees with an set of hedge trimmers held above my head (again super safe) and I all of a sudden started getting lit up hard! Basically I tossed the hedge trimmers one way I jumped off the ladder the other way, shed my shirt while running to the other side of the house. Found something like 14 stings I received in a matter of seconds.
              Yellow Jackets or Guinea Wasps - As far as I am concerned they are called @#%(^#&@#(@#&% ***** Heads!

I did get payback by mixing up a bucket of dish soap and water and took out the whole nest later that evening when they all returned close to dark.

Comment

Last fall I opened up a pasture gate and the suckers came after me and stung my coat but couldn't get me. I got lucky. I killed them all with vengeance!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  Any anything else that stings

Took a hit to the eyelid by a red wasp this afternoon, demons were hiding down in a 6" pipe that the gate is chained to

Didn't swell completely shut but it hurt BAD

I got even though. After the Ibuprofen kicked in I killed them and 3 more nests I happened to find
                  I feel your pain. Was mowing on a zeroturn 2 weeks ago and hit ground hornets. Got me on the right temple, right ear, left eyelid, above left ear, and on the arm. I felt sick for 2 full days.

Comment

Was mowing in my backyard and came to the corner where my pool equipment is sitting. I turned the mower and brushed my rear end against the filter and ZAP! I didn’t know what happened, thought I got an electric shock till I saw them swarming. They had a hive behind the metal fence post in the corner. Right on my arse cheek it got me.

Comment

Had a red one hit my bottom lip. Full on Bubba Gump swelling.

Comment

I got nailed right below the eye. That SUCKED! Worst one I’ve ever had. Raised up a big old welp and hurt big time

Comment

Remember those Brush Popper shirts Wrangler made? Those work great at stopping stings. I still have a couple of those shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            Remember those Brush Popper shirts Wrangler made? Those work great at stopping stings. I still have a couple of those shirts.
                            Wish my head had been wrapped in one.

Face is not as sore as yesterday but eye still has swelling

Should start itching today, that will be fun I am sure

Curious what wasp Jerp mentioned. What I know as guinea wasp is smaller than red wasp but not 1/2" long. They have yellow and brown bands on them and about as ill tempered as a red wasp

Comment

Dawn dish soap and water. Thrown from a cup or sprayed from a pump sprayer ends them instantly.

Comment

Working...
                              X