The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
    The guy I buy my LO tags from called me yesterday and said, The state has cut the LO tags in half. They are now wanting $8500 for a tag. I am done with elk hunting in NM.
    Man I saw that coming. A lot of whining about the unit wide tag, which suxs because it opens up a lot of public ranches for hunting.

Makes you feel any better I’m on a 13 year dry elk draw in NM also. I draw Mulie every year, but elk tag is a purple squirrel

Comment

Looks like i'm still elk hunting in NM. I found me a unit 15 tag. It might be my last year, unless I get lucky and draw a tag.

Comment

I’ve got Elk on the brain big time today!! Montana is calling.

Comment

Wondering what this little one will turn out to be?
          They use the meadows til early fall.
          Attached Files

Comment

Cute little thing! Momma looks healthy too.

Comment

A buddy of mine and I committed about 6 weeks ago to do an over the counter elk hunt in Colorado this September. We are new to archery elk. We are working on getting into shape and getting gear together. We are struggling with how to narrow down a couple of units to focus on. There is so much information out there that it is very overwhelming. We are looking on OnX and debating on a GoHunt membership to try to help us narrow down our choices. We are planning on a truck camp type hunt for several logistical reasons. Since we are so new to this, we are not expecting trophies, we would just love to see some elk. Does anyone out there have any pointers or recommendations?

Comment

I got invited to go hunt with my buddy and the Born and Raised guys for a few days early September.. It will all depend on how my job hunt is going after school. If I dont have a job yet I will be spending a lot of time in Colorado this year. If I do I probably wont be able to make it

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
                  A buddy of mine and I committed about 6 weeks ago to do an over the counter elk hunt in Colorado this September. We are new to archery elk. We are working on getting into shape and getting gear together. We are struggling with how to narrow down a couple of units to focus on. There is so much information out there that it is very overwhelming. We are looking on OnX and debating on a GoHunt membership to try to help us narrow down our choices. We are planning on a truck camp type hunt for several logistical reasons. Since we are so new to this, we are not expecting trophies, we would just love to see some elk. Does anyone out there have any pointers or recommendations?
                  No doubt it's hard to narrow down, this is why people don't easily give up location information. It takes hard work and countless hours finding a spot. It often ends up being a few years of trial and error. But you have to start somewhere.

Since you plan to go OTC, a Gohunt membership is a little less valuable. If you were working draw odds, gohunt is very nice. If you have the money to spare, it still has tons of information and filtering to help you narrow down.

As for units, they all have elk. Don't waste to much time deciding between units right now, you want to spend the majority of your time narrowing down to a specific area in a unit.

Driving distance - some units are a days drive, some two. Start narrowing by max distance you want to drive. Getting further away can help.

% public land available to hunt - find a few with good numbers, 50% or more

Then get inside a unit. Randy Newberg has good videos on this.
                  Use the Colorado atlas to find elk summer and winter concentration areas. They will travel between these areas. This gets you roughly in the area of elk.
                  Find roads and trails to get you close to these areas. Pick a few of these trailheads and create plans for each one.
                  The plan will use all the information you learn from reading, videos, and boots on the ground to find the highest chance areas to be in the area of elk.

Without experience it is hard to understand the realities of the terrain. What looks easy on a map can be impossible on the ground. Keep in mind elk are killed hundreds of yards to several miles from the truck.
                  I would stay away from wilderness areas, they are typically thick and steep. You can definitely find elk there, but may not be fun for the first trip.

If you have specific questions, PM me. I'm no expert, but know how difficult it is and i am willing to help.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                    I got invited to go hunt with my buddy and the Born and Raised guys for a few days early September.. It will all depend on how my job hunt is going after school. If I dont have a job yet I will be spending a lot of time in Colorado this year. If I do I probably wont be able to make it
                    What a cool opportunity. How does that even happen?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post

Since you arent trying to figure draw points and only currently look at one state, I wouldn’t buy the go hunt membership this year. You can find unit ratios on CO website. I would just pick an OTC unit and go.

Elk are where you find them, sometimes going high isn’t the best answer.
                      If you haven’t found them in 2-3 days bail to a new spot

Comment

Man I'd have to put off a job search if I had the chance to hunt with those guys.. i hope you get to go and also find a the job you want..

I'll be hunting alone this year . My buddy didn't put in for the same unit I drew..

Comment

Make it happen man. Take your cameras LFG and B&R should be able to help you blow up your channel and then you dont have to keep looking for a new boss. I keep hearing that the most common thing folks say on their deathbed isn't "I wish I focused more on work." Colorado is truly God's country and I take every excuse I can to spend time there. I'll be up in SW co Sept 8-16 chasing bulls myself.

Comment

Originally posted by MRWHITE87 View Post
                            Make it happen man. Take your cameras LFG and B&R should be able to help you blow up your channel and then you dont have to keep looking for a new boss. I keep hearing that the most common thing folks say on their deathbed isn't "I wish I focused more on work." Colorado is truly God's country and I take every excuse I can to spend time there. I'll be up in SW co Sept 8-16 chasing bulls myself.

It will definitely be awesome if I can pull it off. Graduate lineman school August 14. Would be amazing if I could do interviews and all that good stuff between then and September and get hired on with a start date of like September 15-20 or even October 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the help to those that responded. PM sent Wits End.

Comment

This will be my first year back to bow hunting elk. My hunting buddies and I got into the long range game 4 years ago. It’s been good to us. This year we changed gears. I’ve got 2 1/2 weeks in Montana. Tags are in. We have permission to hunt a private ranch in Dillon from Friday through Sunday of both weeks I’m there. During the week we will hunt public land in their hometown. All 3 of us are in the big bull or nothing boat this year. We all killed 290-310 bulls over the last few years. With their knowledge on public land we’ve never been skunked. I’m counting my blessings and busting my butt to get in better shape this year. Hope everyone has a great year on the mountain.

Comment

Working...
                                X