No announcement yet.

2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading through this thread everyone seems to be targeting mid-March to put the spring garden in the ground.

Wanting to put in some tomatoes and peppers this year. Would the 14th or 21st of March be better?

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
      Reading through this thread everyone seems to be targeting mid-March to put the spring garden in the ground.

Wanting to put in some tomatoes and peppers this year. Would the 14th or 21st of March be better?
      Remember Texas is a big state. I am close to the coast and always shoot for March 1st depending on weather patterns.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

Look up when the average low temps are above freezing, I think here in DFW area it is late March.

Comment

Looking at finishing up a garden this weekend. Getting the bed done at least. Curious if any of you add earth worms to your garden beds to help with the soil nutrition.

Comment

Lost about 8 tomato plants and quite a few potato plants when it dipped into 32 degrees Tuesday night Always a gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
              Anyone grow cilantro?
              Yep. Bought one cilantro plant years ago. It's all over the garden now.

Comment

Testing this little guy out this year, mostly herbs with a few heirloom veggies on top.
                Attached Files

Comment

I hope it warms early. My starter tomato plant is now a foot tall and wide in a small pot wanting to be let out of jail. I grow Only Early Girl. Tried em all. One plant goes for months and taste great. Wife can no longer eat tomatoes so me and my neighbors can not eat what the one plant gives. I also love Sun Gold, sweetest little guy I ever grew. Goes crazy in Williamson County area (east black clay's) and gets stupid big. But one ugly bug gets em later in the year. Got fish guts still decaying in soils so need a few more weeks to turn the dirt. Can hardly wait but no choice. and it will freeze at least once more so be patient folks. (and I always start squash too soon. Wisely Have not even started seedlings yet. I try to learn but too hard headed most the time)

Comment

I stepped up a bunch of seedlings into 4” pots this week. Tomatoes and peppers are doing good. I plan to put them in the ground at the end of March due to spring break and the farmers almanac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                        Anyone grow cilantro?
                        Yes, it's great until it gets too hot then it shrivel and dies. Best to plant in a pot then move it inside during summer.

Tomato plants. Everyone give some recommendations, please. I can grow cherry tomatoes but I have zero luck with big tomatoes. I've tried a bunch and every year they flower but don't yield fruit. Beefsteak, zero luck. Heirloom, no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lnester View Post
                          Yes, it's great until it gets too hot then it shrivel and dies. Best to plant in a pot then move it inside during summer.

Tomato plants. Everyone give some recommendations, please. I can grow cherry tomatoes but I have zero luck with big tomatoes. I've tried a bunch and every year they flower but don't yield fruit. Beefsteak, zero luck. Heirloom, no luck.

I spray my tomatoes with a solution of Epsom salts. Seems to help them put fruit on.

Comment

Fertilize with calcium nitrate at the first bloom set the every 3 to 4 weeks after that.
                            Do you have plenty of pollinators?

Comment

Starting the project of joining my two gardens into one. One has been established for years. It is a raised bed. The other one I got going 2 years ago as an in-ground bed. Unfortunately with the clay soil here, it puddles too much rain water and drowns or stunts the plants. So I started with a trailer load (1 1/2 yards because that's all it will hold) of garden soil to build up that second bed. Didn't out much of a dent in it. Going to get after it tomorrow morning to see how many loads I can do before the soil yard closes at noon.
                              I'm a month away from planting around here, but if I don't get on this project now I'll run put of time.

Comment

I use Epsom as well with ok results. I tried many recommended variety of tomato and now will plant one and one only for a medium size delicious fruit. Early Girl by Bonnie. That is why I have one waiting inside for planting time. They are sold everywhere but sell out often so grabbed one early. Not sure if seeds can be obtained for those needing lots of plants. I am Georgetown, black clay, great home built soil slightly raised beds. Almost organic methods.
                                And I am typical Still loaded with maturing fruit in the fall so end up with plenty of fried green ones when that first freeze is on us.

Comment

Working...
                                X