No announcement yet.

2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve got a big pile of hay and cow manure. I turned it over yesterday with the tractor and it’s steaming/breaking down fairly good. Would y’all recommend using that to build some soil?

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
      I’ve got a big pile of hay and cow manure. I turned it over yesterday with the tractor and it’s steaming/breaking down fairly good. Would y’all recommend using that to build some soil?

Not this year, depending on how old it is... Also, hay is grass... how does grass propagate itself? SEEDS!! Be careful using hay as mulch, cover or anything else... I did that, and it took me 2 years to get the Bermuda grass and Johnson grass under control again... OBVIOUSLY, I didn't let my compost break down enough!! You can also burn the hay, then mix it with the barnyard stuff and it works pretty good... speeds up the process and kills those pesky seeds...

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
        Ya'll been workin hard...Got mine tilled up few days ago after a couple seasons nothing ..Due to both Knee replacements...and then tiller motor expired..on my Ancient Troy Horse..Few weeks ago Harbor freight had sale on 6.5 Predator motors..99bucks was easy swap and runs like a champ...

Oh Yea thx for WOW garden pic. Scotty
        I had the same thing happen to my Craftsman tiller motor and got the same deal from hf. Just added the pully from the old one and bolt on. Good deal on a good engine.

Comment

Well I got duped majorly. I have been busting my butt the past couple months with the carrots I had return from letting some go to seed last season. Got them all aligned in rows, watered and maintained etc .. only to find out Saterday when I went to harvest that I have been growing wild carrots aka Queen Anne's lace. That was a lot of garden space that could have gone to something beneficial. Little peice of crap democrat carrots.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            Well I got duped majorly. I have been busting my butt the past couple months with the carrots I had return from letting some go to seed last season. Got them all aligned in rows, watered and maintained etc .. only to find out Saterday when I went to harvest that I have been growing wild carrots aka Queen Anne's lace. That was a lot of garden space that could have gone to something beneficial. Little peice of crap democrat carrots.
            Dang, thats no bueno. I've been pulling carrots for a couple of weeks now. First time I've grown them in a long time. Forgot how dang good they were. A lot sweeter and more flavor than from the store. You can also use the tops to make vegetable stock, etc

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Not this year, depending on how old it is... Also, hay is grass... how does grass propagate itself? SEEDS!! Be careful using hay as mulch, cover or anything else... I did that, and it took me 2 years to get the Bermuda grass and Johnson grass under control again... OBVIOUSLY, I didn't let my compost break down enough!! You can also burn the hay, then mix it with the barnyard stuff and it works pretty good... speeds up the process and kills those pesky seeds...
              You have to know where the hay is coming from and it's not fresh from a grass field. If so, let it sit and rot for a season.
              I use hay for my mulch (Ruth Stout Garden style) with no problems once I understood this. First year I used hay, I too had grass growing amongst it once i put it on the garden.
              I use a lot of hay that has been used for friend's goats (already fertilized) and let it sit for a bit. I've got a pile about 20 ft. long x 4 feet wide and 4 ft. high ready to go on the garden once I get the soil prepped.
              I started a YouTube channel to keep up with my progress of my garden and deer food plots. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ2...zS6v1kvJwE180A

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                Moved I to a new house so starting over. Have the ground tilled several times, removed all the grass I could and added in 7 yards of mushroom compost. Will till a few more times and plant the end of this month. Here's a picture with my happy helper.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                That's some nice inground soil. Mine is all black clay so I have to use raised beds.

Comment

Picked the last of the broccoli this morning, pulled them up, weeded, and added compost. Beds are ready for spring planting.
                  Tomato seedlings are growing like crazy. I’m surprised that all the reapers germinated.
                  Anyone close that wants to pick a couple up, I’ll share, because I sure don’t need that many!

Comment

weather. whether or not. Weather. Man tired of HEB who offers some good stuff. Tired of moving plants in and out. Anyone wants to contribute labor and material and property and everything involved, I'm in. Meanwhile carefully planning my next disaster. All Jokes. If near me in Georgetown once my expert idiotic ability kicks in, I will share what God gives as he would have it. All fun. Tips ?

Comment

Need to get my tomato seeds out.
                      Last year I had no trouble with grape tomatoes, but my beef steaks would not fruit. Just flower. Partially from lack of pollinators that I've seen. Any varieties yall recommend for houston heat and black gumbo soil lol

Comment

I just built my boxes today for asparagus. I bought some crowns that are 2 yrs old. and hope to have asparagus in a couple yrs. ready for spring.

Comment

Pulled the last of the Collard greens, Red Russian and Toscana Kale. Bagged it up and amended beds with compost in preparation for spring and summer garden. Dont want to plant anything quite yet in event of the last minute freeze.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Tomato and pepper seedlings are coming along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Planted potatoes, onions and leeks this weekend on some new ground in Burleson county. Weeds will be a problem but it’s expected on new garden ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone grow cilantro?

Comment

Working...
                                X