No announcement yet.

2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am the gardener in my home be it good or bad. Mostly good and feed the neighbors often with fresh goods. Not 100% organic but close. My soils are self built with an occasional bagged good. Scotty, I see you are close to me so our black clays you likely have are not very friendly.
    My compost is done off season burying fish heads, and all the regulars goodies and turning the dirt. Never did the normal compost container methods. My garden does well.Nothing in it except a few volunteer potatoes right now. My problem is raccoons and possums dig up anything I bury even with large rocks or logs on top. If not for the laws i Georgetown, they would not be a problem. Living with it but stinks my stinky stuff is gone before it rots and feeds the dirt. Need a dog. Mine is gone RIP. Love fresh vegis. Glad to see this thread as some goodies are not happy and some thrive. Weird easy green beans hate my two plots. Great peppers and Tomatoes but the type is critical. Sorry, I will listen for a while before acting like I know anything. Good stuff.

Comment

Come on spring! Crappie spawn and staring the new garden can’t wait!

Comment

Started my tomato seeds a couple of days ago. A few have already started peaking through the soil.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
          My compost is done off season burying fish heads, and all the regulars goodies and turning the dirt.te my two plots. Great peppers and Tomatoes but the type is critical.
          I have watched a couple video's on the fishheads. Seems like an old Indian method that got carried down. Thought about doing this as well. Just seems like if it works as well as some people say it would be WAY more common? Lotta invasive's like carp, tilapia and plecos in my area that I could easily catch and bury. Might try this

Comment

Is everyone planting already or waiting another month or two.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
              Is everyone planting already or waiting another month or two.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m waiting. Probably early March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll get everything in the ground in March before we leave for spring break.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  I have watched a couple video's on the fishheads. Seems like an old Indian method that got carried down. Thought about doing this as well. Just seems like if it works as well as some people say it would be WAY more common? Lotta invasive's like carp, tilapia and plecos in my area that I could easily catch and bury. Might try this
                  It works. Bury the bones, etc. The main reason people dont do it as often here is they dont know, or if you look up composting it says not to use meat by products even though yes they can be composted. The reason it just commonly says not to is the possibility of bugs, scavengers, etc. Bones break down and provide calcium, etc.

Comment

Picked some radish microgreens when we thinned, planted some more. Planted a few more spinach as well, have 6 sprouted so far.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      Started my tomato seeds a couple of days ago. A few have already started peaking through the soil.

Scotty, you got these in a greenhouse or just in like a garage or other room where you can control the temp/lighting? I've never started anything from seeds before like maters, cukes, squash and such... Always bought mater plants, and squash/zucchini and such... bout the only thing we plant from seed is peas n corn...

Comment

I plan on planting radishes tomorrow

Comment

We had to pull up our garden beds to make room for my shed. The kids love strawberries so I’m looking at vertical PVC planters. Anybody have experience with them?

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                            I’m going to plant green beans this spring rather than cucumbers. That was about all I got a bumper crop out of. I still have about 50 quarts of pickles. [emoji1787]

I have to rebuild those boxes though. The wood rotted after six years.
                            Going to rebuild the asparagus beds too. I’ll have to be CAREFUL when I do those so as not to disturb the root ball.

Might I suggest.... You use concrete blocks, instead of
                            lumber.... It will last longer... And less chance of any chemicals
                            leaching into the garden soil...….just a suggestion...….

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Scotty, you got these in a greenhouse or just in like a garage or other room where you can control the temp/lighting? I've never started anything from seeds before like maters, cukes, squash and such... Always bought mater plants, and squash/zucchini and such... bout the only thing we plant from seed is peas n corn...
                              Don’t know what Scotty does, but I start all my peppers, tomatoes, and tomatillos from seeds. A grow light and a warm place is all you need other than the pots. Everything else in my garden except for onions is seeded in the soil. I only buy plants in the event I get a batch of bad seed.

Comment

Looks like everyone’s stuff is doing great! Keep up the good work. My winter stuff in our high tunnel is doing good. We are eating lettuce and radishes and should have broccoli soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X