Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Gardening thread

Well, it’s that time again.
    I have broccoli, Brussels sprouts, onions and garlic growing that I planted in the fall.
    I plan on getting the tomatoes started at the end of the month. ( I hope the weather cooperates better this year)
    Asparagus will be ready to harvest at will this year (third year of growth).

Oh, does anyone know what I have here? It was supposed to be broccoli!

Good luck with all your gardens this year!

Let me see your asparagus? Mine is just 2nd year

Comment

Anyone ever grow purple hull peas in their home gardens? I love them and am looking for a summer planting for down here.

Comment

Scotty, those are some mighty healthy looking plants!!

I agree also that I hope the weather cooperates better this year... Right now, it is a "negative ghost rider" for me though...

El General, we always plant purple hull peas! But in normal garden rows about 100-150 feet long... Last year, they just drowned, but year before we had 3 rows and got probably 12 bushels or more peas off them... Had some last night for supper!

Comment

Hopefully we get something going this year. Really enjoy these threads

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
            Well, it’s that time again.
            I have broccoli, Brussels sprouts, onions and garlic growing that I planted in the fall.
            I plan on getting the tomatoes started at the end of the month. ( I hope the weather cooperates better this year)
            Asparagus will be ready to harvest at will this year (third year of growth).

Oh, does anyone know what I have here? It was supposed to be broccoli!

Good luck with all your gardens this year!
            I'm having trouble with my broccoli getting that big. It wants to flower out first. You got any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Scotty, those are some mighty healthy looking plants!!

I agree also that I hope the weather cooperates better this year... Right now, it is a "negative ghost rider" for me though...

El General, we always plant purple hull peas! But in normal garden rows about 100-150 feet long... Last year, they just drowned, but year before we had 3 rows and got probably 12 bushels or more peas off them... Had some last night for supper!
              When do you plant?

I have a couple of 5x5 beds in the back yard and a 5'x20' plot in a community garden. Would 2 or 3 of the bush varieties produce enough peas to make it worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                Let me see your asparagus? Mine is just 2nd year

Nothing to see right now. After it freezes off, I cut the dead ferns back to ground level.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                  I'm having trouble with my broccoli getting that big. It wants to flower out first. You got any tips?

I planted it in October this year. Last year I planted in February and it got too hot too fast to get big.

Comment

When do you plant?

I have a couple of 5x5 beds in the back yard and a 5'x20' plot in a community garden. Would 2 or 3 of the bush varieties produce enough peas to make it worth it?
                    You would be better of using the space for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      I planted it in October this year. Last year I planted in February and it got too hot too fast to get big.
                      We did too. We have gotten a couple of full size heads out of 8 plants, but the others have been small.

Comment

Brussels sprouts!

Comment

We did too. We have gotten a couple of full size heads out of 8 plants, but the others have been small.

I add a bunch of compost each spring and spray the plants with has-ta-gro every couple of weeks.

Comment

I’m going to plant green beans this spring rather than cucumbers. That was about all I got a bumper crop out of. I still have about 50 quarts of pickles. [emoji1787]

I have to rebuild those boxes though. The wood rotted after six years.
                            Going to rebuild the asparagus beds too. I’ll have to be CAREFUL when I do those so as not to disturb the root ball.

Comment

2020 fall garden.

Georgia's Collard Greens
                              Red Russian Kale
                              Brussel Sprouts
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X