Credit card fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit card fraud

My wife and I have 2 American Express cards one for her and one for me, we got them because we had to spend 2 weeks for work in a Hilton and we got the rewards. We actually got them when they were City I believe and AE took it over. We have had them for about 9 years and I have never used mine. Today I got a fraud alert and Assumed it was my wife's card because she only uses that card at the carwash. It was mine and had 2 charges on it one to Kobo (some E book thing) and one to Intuit Canada, the total was about $25. Now since my card was locked in my safe and no one can get to it but me how is this possible? No it wasn't the kids, wife or anyone else.

Some pos living in his mom's basement running random numbers until it hits. They start slow and then progressively get bigger on purchases. I had charges in Maryland and have never been there.in my life!

Comment

Been through it. This should be a hanging offense!

Comment

I have had cards compromised in the past. They fish the waters with a couple of small charges and then bump the charges up quickly. Even with $10K-$20K fraudulent charges in a couple of days the issues were quickly resolved on our part.

Comment

I understand how skimmers work, we are currently dealing with the Oct. 2020 EMV upgrades. If I would have used the card I would understand, but unless they have a random number generator my card has never been exposed. Never Ever no where.

Comment

anything's possible

Comment

They hit one of mine last week for 481.09 in a town and state where I've never ever been. Bastages need hanging. PITA having to void and get new card. Ao fR I far I have been hit a total of 5 different times in the last 3 years. I now check all of my accounts at least once per week whether I use them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                Some pos living in his mom's basement running random numbers until it hits. They start slow and then progressively get bigger on purchases. I had charges in Maryland and have never been there.in my life!
                ^^^ They start really low hoping you won't notice $5-10 for Xbox or some other thing. Then, each cycle they add some more. For me it was Xbox in Mexico City. Easy to dispute and have removed. You get a new card. And yes, get a rope. KAT

Comment

Life Lock is expensive but I'm sure glad we had them when the wife's card got hacked.

Comment

As an extra precaution everyone needs to read up on the 2020 EMV upgrades. If a store has not upgraded to the new chip readers and you get hit it is the stores responsibility not the CC company anymore. As these upgrades are being made it is pushing the skimmers to other locations. You need to be very wary of any outside purchase you make.

Comment

Yep small charges till they clear the they unload it.

Comment

Got a notification of a purchase of a latte in Jakarta, Indonesia one afternoon and in a couple of hours they bought $495 worth of Legos in NYC.
                        We blamed the Legos on our son but it wasn't. Didn't cost us anything but aggravation and inconvenience----but I do feel your pain.

Comment

I had charges from Walmart, online delivery for about $500 a couple of months ago
                          Luckily AMX fraud department handled it but it was a PIA

Comment

In had numerous charges to door dash... twerent me....called my card company and all gone

Comment

Capital one called me as soon as the transactions happened I told them it wasn’t me, they didn’t process them and canceled the card. Bank of America on the other hand never noticed it, luckily I did and called to let them know and they had to reverse the transactions and it took about a week to get my money back.

Comment

Working...
                              X