No announcement yet.

Sonora County Turkey??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are West of Sonora south of the caverns and we're covered up in Turkeys! They had a very good hatch last year. Our whitetail population took a hit but the turkey population exploded. I had 20+ Tom's in one picture from my Cell Camera this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      We have a creek running through the middle of our place with lots of big pecan trees and oaks for roosting. Always lots of turkeys around. Every now and then we have literal hoards of them. Last month, for a couple weeks there were several hundred. Just ridiculous. At a minimum, we see several dozen.

For some reason, I just don't get excited about turkey. I've hunted a couple places in the past that had huge numbers of them, similar to where we're at now with a creek and lots of roosting trees, etc.... When there are that many of them, they get to be annoying pretty fast.

We have/had a lot as well.....generally anyway... ClayW's Dad, PoPo hunted with us and his DSD dekes were violated/assaulted by a pod of 22 gobblers two years ago. Said it was the coolest thing he had every seen in his turkey hunting days. I had a bout with that same pod later in the weekend but it was only 17. Those were excellent years but we generally have solid numbers anyway. I love every bit of spring turkey season over decoys and now even more so with a bow over these better decoys. During deer season, I understand your disdain. I mean I still like to see the gobblers but I like saving them for spring and adding to my beard spur displays. They can stay away from my corn though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        We are West of Sonora south of the caverns and we're covered up in Turkeys! They had a very good hatch last year. Our whitetail population took a hit but the turkey population exploded. I had 20+ Tom's in one picture from my Cell Camera this week.

Man yall are killin' me.. Hopefully our neighboring properties' birds are gonna spring break vacation with us

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          We have/had a lot as well.....generally anyway... ClayW's Dad, PoPo hunted with us and his DSD dekes were violated/assaulted by a pod of 22 gobblers two years ago. Said it was the coolest thing he had every seen in his turkey hunting days. I had a bout with that same pod later in the weekend but it was only 17. Those were excellent years but we generally have solid numbers anyway. I love every bit of spring turkey season over decoys and now even more so with a bow over these better decoys. During deer season, I understand your disdain. I mean I still like to see the gobblers but I like saving them for spring and adding to my beard spur displays. They can stay away from my corn though.
          Spring (and summer and fall and winter) is axis season for us, so turkeys are just in the way for me then too.

I generally like other calling/decoying types of hunting (varmints, ducks, elk, etc.). And I've enjoyed calling and killing turkey when I've done it. They just don't trip my trigger for some reason. I don't really know why. They're cool birds, and I would much rather eat a wild turkey than a grocery store turkey. But I just never have been fired up about hunting them. It's weird, 'cause I like to hunt just about anything.

Comment

We typically don’t have too many birds, but for some reason this fall we were seeing them a very regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
              Ahhh yes that's why you have a lot. Ok sounds like we need to make a spring time work trip to your place. Will work for turkey huntin!!
              If you could kill all the turkeys and hogs in a weekend, it would be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                If you could kill all the turkeys and hogs in a weekend, it would be awesome!
                I can give it my best shot lol

Comment

If anyone, in any part of the state, needs help thinning out their turkeys this spring, I'd be more than happy to oblige!

Comment

And I humbly ask to be second in line

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                      And I humbly ask to be second in line
                      I axed first lol, even offered up my labor

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                        I axed first lol, even offered up my labor
                        My apologies 3rd id even offer my next born to go back to Sonora lol
                        Last edited by Jcjohnson; 02-14-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Cameras aren’t showing much at my place either. Historically start getting groups of birds on camera this month. Maybe the warm weather this weekend will get them going a little.

Comment

Working...
                          X