Is the 6.5 PRC much better than 6.5 CM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the 6.5 PRC much better than 6.5 CM?

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but I’m just not a big gun guy. With that said I’m wanting to get a good all around hunting caliber. I want enough knock down without overkill? Mostly WT of coarse, but if someone said hey let’s go shoot a muley at 400 yards I don’t want to be afraid to. I’m looking at the Bergara Ridge and it comes in several popular rounds the 6.5 PRC has caught my eye.

You can’t go wrong with either one. Prc has more powder and slightly better velocity. Creedmoor prob has better ammo choices at your local academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Id take that 400 yd shot on a mule deer or an elk with a prc but I'd do it with the heaviest bullet I could get, such as the 156 Berger that copper creek loads in their ammo.

Comment

Depends, do you hand load? Are you looking at a short action setup? What are you wanting to accomplish/hunt with it?

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
            Id take that 400 yd shot on a mule deer or an elk with a prc but I'd do it with the heaviest bullet I could get, such as the 156 Berger that copper creek loads in their ammo.
            That is nothing a well built 140gr won't handle with monotonous regularity.

The hair splitting and fake specialization BS from all the Johnny come lately sniper rifle gurus that goes on every day has gotten ridiculous. Everyone has to have a specific rifle, load, and optic for every critter they go after, anymore. I can't count how many times in the last couple years I've read something to the effect of "well I finally booked my _____ hunt, I need a 6.8lb rifle that will shoot ___ projectile at ____ fps, and a scope at least ___ power, with tricked out ____".

The truth is you will probably never benefit from whatever difference there is between the creedmor, and the PRC, because there almost isn't any. People like to pretend it's like going from a .243 to a .270....it's not. They are both basic *** calibers, and as has been said many times here before, neither will do anything the .260 or .264Mag weren't already (more) capable of.

What I'm saying is, find a rifle you like, in a caliber you think is capable, buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

The hair splitting and fake specialization BS from all the Johnny come lately sniper rifle gurus that goes on every day has gotten ridiculous. Everyone has to have a specific rifle, load, and optic for every critter they go after, anymore. I can't count how many times in the last couple years I've read something to the effect of "well I finally booked my _____ hunt, I need a 6.8lb rifle that will shoot ___ projectile at ____ fps, and a scope at least ___ power, with tricked out ____".

The truth is you will probably never benefit from whatever difference there is between the creedmor, and the PRC, because there almost isn't any. People like to pretend it's like going from a .243 to a .270....it's not. They are both basic *** calibers, and as has been said many times here before, neither will do anything the .260 or .264Mag weren't already (more) capable of.

What I'm saying is, find a rifle you like, in a caliber you think is capable, buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.
              Amen!

Comment

yes

Comment

This is so true... but where’s the fun in that!!!
                  I need more guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                    This is so true... but where’s the fun in that!!!
                    I need more guns!!

Buy all the guns you want, I want you to buy more guns! But save the excuses for your wife!

Comment

Save them for your wife. I don’t need an excuse to buy a gun.

Comment

I will agree and disagree with you Dale. That’s why I asked the questions that I did. If you can run the PRC in a long action and hand load then there is absolutely a difference between them. I shot a PRC that I built the load for all the way out to 1877 yards with 140gr Bergers consistently not just a random impact. You can’t do that with a Creedmoor, but if you’re shooting factory loads then you’re correct, there really isn’t that much difference. Sometimes intentions matter and jacking someone’s thread to get on a soapbox isn’t appropriate either. Reactions like this make people not want to ask questions on forums and make them feel unwelcome, which is absolutely untrue. These forums are supposed to be inviting for questions not make people feel belittled for asking a question.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch1886 View Post
                          Depends, do you hand load? Are you looking at a short action setup? What are you wanting to accomplish/hunt with it?
                          I do not handload. I am wanting a good rifle for mostly deer hunting, but can be used for just about anything else I decide to go after. I want a good balance of knock down power without blowing a shoulder off a deer or myself! I am not a target shooter, I want to be able to shoot a deer at 50 yards but also have the confidence in the round to do so at 400 yards.

Comment

This is what I am trying to do. I have killed many deer with a .270, but my old .270 is just that is getting old and rough and I am wanting to replace it with a single gun. I am not a gun freak. Other than family guns I do not own a gun that doesn't serve a purpose for me. I don't buy guns to set in the safe for years without use.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                              I do not handload. I am wanting a good rifle for mostly deer hunting, but can be used for just about anything else I decide to go after. I want a good balance of knock down power without blowing a shoulder off a deer or myself! I am not a target shooter, I want to be able to shoot a deer at 50 yards but also have the confidence in the round to do so at 400 yards.
                              Justin, get a 270 Winchester and be done. Neither one of those 6.5 cartridges(especially a 6.5CM) have an advantage over a 270 in typical hunting situations under 700 yards. Ammo price and selection is much better for a 270.

That old argument about a short action being better for hunting is a fable as well. It wont make hill of beans difference when it comes time to cycle the bolt for a follow up shot, the adrenaline rush will keep it out your mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X