Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The unthinkable or inevitable happened. IMELDA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The unthinkable or inevitable happened. IMELDA!

Imelda put about 4” in my house. Never flooded before. No flood insurance. There goes my savings. Life will go on but it’s gonna be a tough road ahead. We sure could use some green screen prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you spend your life savings, there should be some gov help you can apply for.

Comment

Prayers up for you and your family I have been there.

Comment

Prayers for ya. Ck every avenue for assistance

Comment

Sorry to hear that man.

Comment

Comment

Prayers up... Psalm 55:22. If you need help pm me. I will drive down to help a fellow brother out.

Comment

I went through that with Harvey, 5' of water in the house with no flood insurance. You need to apply for FEMA assistance. Life is going to suck for a while but dont worry it gets better.

Comment

Prayers for you and your family. You should be able to apply for FEMA assistance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fire is worse for you mentally imo...was in the 3rd grade so didn’t have all the adult responsibilities of the aftermath but the smell / images are forever stamped.

Started a thread right before weather season here on tbh about fema being worth it or not...amazing to me how many down here don’t have it & consider the odds. Doesn’t really take all that much to have a storm sit on you. Just got past my 30 day window for coverage & likely won’t have a claim just like other years I never needed.

Don’t screw around & get it!!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      Before you spend your life savings, there should be some gov help you can apply for.
                      Not to sound cold but National Flood Insurance Program flood insurance policies are government subsidized already. Everyone in SE Texas should have it.

OP I’m sorry this happened. Hopefully the repairs aren’t too costly and can get done soon.
                      Last edited by Etxbuckman; 09-21-2019, 10:28 PM.

Comment

It’s ridiculous that our government allows insurance that doesn’t cover basic stuff like flooding. Same for uninsured motorist. We are a nation ran by corporate interests. Industry sectors like healthcare and insurance and not controlled by market demand but are instead bolstered by lobbyists and value manipulation.

Prayers up.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          Not to sound cold but National Flood Insurance Program flood insurance policies are government subsidized already. Everyone in SE Texas should have it.

OP I’m sorry this happened. Hopefully the repairs aren’t too costly and can get done soon.
                          This is ridiculous. Do you need separate insurance coverage for someone driving a car into your house because your house is at an intersection? Do you need additional lightening coverage because you are located on top of a hill? How is this different?

Comment

Y'all will get through it. Been there.

The tile floors need to go too. It looks like you might be trying to save them.
                            Not a good idea at all. That nasty water is trapped underneath them. They eventually will start to pop and for health reasons get rid of them now while the house is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                              The tile floors need to go too. It looks like you might be trying to save them.
                              Not a good idea at all. That nasty water is trapped underneath them. They eventually will start to pop and for health reasons get rid of them now while the house is a mess.
                              I will go against the grain here on this one as I have been through it myself with Ike, Harvey and another rain event in 2018. Since you don't have flood insurance, you need to leave those floors intact but dry the house well. I have dealt with a lot of flooded homes in my neighborhood and area. I see you have already cut out sheetrock, that tells me that the water was only in there a little while, you will be fine on the floors. Flooring will eat up a lot of whatever money you get. The water was in and out, leave them. I have pulled up tile 2-8 years after flooding and there was no signs of mold, in any house I demoed. Granted, these homes had water in them less than a day or two.

Another note, go ahead and cut 4' out everywhere. Labor will be more on half sheets. Find the seam at 4' and take it out there in those places you only have 2' gone. In the end, it will look a lot better as well.

File for FEMA as soon as it's available.
                              Turn your AC on cold as low as you can get it and let it run.
                              Find some dehumidifiers and get them running along with many box fans, move the air around.
                              Take a lot of pictures.
                              Keep a box of receipts, even hand written on all work done, you will write this off as a casualty loss on your 2019 taxes and should receive a substantial return on your next couple of years taxes.
                              Make sure your Appraisal District knows you flooded, your home will lose at least 50% of it's value on paper, the tax rolls, until you are completed with repairs. This is also a casualty loss and you will take advantage of that on your taxes.

PM for any other info needed.

Prayers Sent, it gets better, trust me. Been there several times, with and without flood insurance.

Comment

Working...
                              X