.45-70 Lever Action Recoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=RifleBowPistol;15444577
    If you really want to experience some heavy 45-70 recoil. Try a Ruger Number 3, in 45-70, with some really hot 500 gr. solids. You will think the 45-70 lever gun seems like a 223. In guns like the Ruger Number 1 and Number 3, you can load a 45-70 up pretty hot, to the point, it's close ballistically to a 458 Win. Mag.[/QUOTE]

I have a #3 and shooting 300gr speers at 2400fps after about 10 or so it gets s bit uncomfortable. That little lever will also break you dang fingers if you don’t grab it firm!

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
      I have a #3 and shooting 300gr speers at 2400fps after about 10 or so it gets s bit uncomfortable. That little lever will also break you dang fingers if you don’t grab it firm!

That’s approaching 375 H&H level. I always wanted one of the limited run Lipsey’s Ruger #1’s in 45-70 with the 26” barrel just for high velocity testing, but was too cheap to spring for one when I had the chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Marlin SBL in 45-70 and love it. One thing I always wondered though is why more people don't use them in Africa.
        I think that cartridge with the right load would be excellent on Cape Buffalo etc..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Daughter shoots one since she was 17 may wiegh in at 110

Comment

Trapdoor level loads are nothing. Lever gun level loads are serious business. Ruger and Siamese Mauser level loads are brutal.

Comment

300-405 grain 45-70 loads are obnoxious and the 18” barreled or shorter rifles are loud and obnoxious. That is all.
              Last edited by LouietheLurker; 02-04-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Friend brought a lever rifle out years ago at the range and don't know what kind of load was shot but one little fella dropped it after He shot it. Almost turned Him around. I shot it after and really didn't kick worse than my 12 gauges.

Comment

Did an accuracy load workup for a customer with the Marlin. Ended up with 300-gr hollow-cavity Barnes bullets and it shot very well. But--after the first bench session I had to go to the dentist--my lower bridge was broken! Told the customer I wouldn't shoot it again unless he let me put on a recoil pad, and he agreed. That made it tolerable, but still a stiff kicker. The load? Well, the rifle got the name "Ham Slammer" and it was a hog killer for sure.

Comment

Just shoot a 3" magnum .410 slug from a single barrel 410 shotgun and you will know

Comment

My Marlin, 22” barrel shoots great. Not much recoil, reloads May be a different story though.

Comment

All depends on model you get but a 45-70 is a lot of recoil in any weapon. Especially without a muzzle brake.

Comment

Yep- push not a kick! I had a .450 bushmaster no comparison! That bushmaster will try to dislocate your shoulder and neck- no problem with the 45-70- I can shoot it all day long!

Comment

My experience is that it's unnoticeable in a hunting situation. I've ripped off 5 rounds standing freehand at running pigs without noticing the recoil, shot from rest in blind at deer with no negative reaction to recoil, but shooting for groups from a bench is punishing.

Comment

Henry single shot 45-70 not worth it. Much more happy with my pre 64 Winchester 30-30.

Comment

With Remington factor about like a 410 shotgun.

Comment

Working...
                                X