No announcement yet.

Are suppressors with the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is the trust the way to go or the regular stamp?

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
      But how do you know who will or won't stay in business. I like the Rugged Razor for price, weight and unconditional warranty but I thought Craftsman/Sears would be around forever many years ago. How about Griffin? I like the sportsman ultralight also.
      You don't, necessarily; you can just make educated bet based on longevity (Surefire) or reputation (SiCo, DeadAir, Rugged, etc). AAC used to be king of the mountain years ago, with SDN-6 being one of the most popular cans, and that company has had a sharp fall (but my SPR-M4 is still going after 10yrs). Pappas was a founder of SilencerCo and spun up Dead Air after that; if you appreciate SiCo engineering, you can't help but appreciate Dead Air (and their mount systems are solid). Henry started Rugged, but was originally with SWR before SiCo bought them out.

Rifle cans for most folks will last a lifetime, save for lots of full-auto fire and incredibly short barrels that torch the baffles that would be cause expected baffle erosion and make it slightly louder. Pretty much every pistol can is able to be disassembled for cleaning now, so no need to send back to the manufacturer for cleaning. You won't get your $200 back and there's not much of a resell market for used cans...buy once, cry once.

Ounce of Prevention for the long term:
      -On new hosts, make sure the threads are cut concentric to the bore to avoid baffle strikes; there are alignment rods to check for this (example link below).

-Make sure your barrel will stabilize the projectile properly to avoid baffle strikes
      -Don't exceed the firing schedule for design materials (repeated mag dumps with Titanium cans, for instance)
      -Mind the barrel length restrictions suggested by manufacturers, if specified. Some have no barrel length restrictions, and others are overly conservative, but remember it will be YOU with a can out of commission while you get a new serialized can approved through the Form4 process, even if warranty covers it.

Personal experience:
      I've had welds fail on a Sico Omega from 300wm, so I've been a case that benefited from a warranty replacement; they gave me an extra can of my choice for the hassle of having to wait another 10mo for a new serialized Omega. SiCo upgraded my old SWR Warlock to Warlock II (removable baffles) for free as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
        So is the trust the way to go or the regular stamp?
        You'll have a stamp either way. The trust route used to avoid CLEO signoff, passport photo, and fingerprints, but that is no longer the case with 41F.

The trust route is still useful to allow you to have additional responsible persons for shared possession (i.e. your sibling/kid/whomever could have use of it on their own). If you get the stamp as an individual, you can't just let someone borrow when you're not with them. The trust is also helpful for estate planning if you acquire a considerable investment worth of NFA items.

Comment

Originally posted by yardsale View Post
          You'll have a stamp either way. The trust route used to avoid CLEO signoff, passport photo, and fingerprints, but that is no longer the case with 41F.

The trust route is still useful to allow you to have additional responsible persons for shared possession (i.e. your sibling/kid/whomever could have use of it on their own). If you get the stamp as an individual, you can't just let someone borrow when you're not with them. The trust is also helpful for estate planning if you acquire a considerable investment worth of NFA items.
          Nailed it.

If something happens to me, my items are easily transferred to my wife, brother, daughter. And my wife and brother can legally possess them without me being there.

Comment

Worth every last penny

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
              Seeing the post about suggestions for a can got me to thinking about one again and I have a few questions about suppressors...does a can make the gun perform better? Do most folks get one simply for the sound dampening or because the performance is that much better. I don’t mean to come across as a smart arse at all, I truly would like to know the benefits. I have buddies with them, some with multiple cans in fact, and they say it’s all about the sound. For a grand or better I’m not sure it’s with it.

Are they worth the trouble of getting the stamp, having to wait a year, getting rifles threaded that aren’t already threaded? I have multiple calibers that I’d like to suppress so do you get multiple or just get one and switch it around? That scenario seems like a lot of work to me and now your several grand deep.

I’m not questioning why people have them by any means. I have gone back and for on getting one and I have had a hard time convincing myself they are worth the money and trouble. I still want one but just can’t make myself pull the trigger on one.

This one will probably get me blasted here but does anyone worry about having the stamp with your name out there if the new party actually does make it in office next month? I know that’s conspiracy theory at its best but I had to ask it.

I’m think ready to be chastised from the masses now. Again, no judgment or smart aleck intentions just want to know from some folks on the GS that have valuable input. I have read many of y’all’s post and know there is a wealth of knowledge on here and I’m hoping to hear from some of you.

Thanks
              Are they worth the trouble? Suppose that depends on your shooting and hunting habits. For people that are on the same box of 20 after hunting for a decade, perhaps not. For those putting a lot of rounds downrange and in the field, perhaps so.

Sound: With supersonic ammo, center fire rifle cans are in most every case not technically hearing safe according to OSHA standards, but it takes a very considerable bite out of it. If you're hunting with other people, perhaps group hunting for pigs, its much more enjoyable to not eat the concussion and sound of the brake/muzzle from the guy firing next to you. It also makes it difficult for the animal to vector in on where the shot came from, sometimes translating to more opportunities on target if they run in a favorable direction or just freeze from confusion.

Performance: Sometimes silencers can wind up finding that perfect harmonic resonance for your barrel and tighten your groups. If the can gets too hot, that group can open back up again; POI shift can be observed and accounted for. It can absolutely function like a brake and dampen recoil as others on this thread have stated and keep more timid shooters from anticipating the recoil and flinching, especially with magnum calibers. If you're calling your own shots and watching your vapor trail, the silencer can help you stay on scope easier.

Universality: For efficiency of stamp approval time for people with many calibers to suppress and only the ability to only buy one at a time, it's normally best to start with the most universal silencer and work your way into more specific use cases. If you have a 300wm bolt gun and 5.56/300BLK ARs, get something that's rated 300wm and down and can handle the most aggressive firing schedule you anticipate. The industry has come a long was in the last 10yrs for all-purpose cans: Nomad, Sandman, Omega, etc. are all great all-purpose cans for magnum bolt guns down to most AR platform cartridges. Over time as you acquire them, you may wind up marrying a silencer to a single gun (i.e. hunting bolt gun has its own, 5.56 AR has it's own, 308 AR10 has its own, etc.). I don't know that most people will find exact caliber matching to be financially worth while (i.e. a 6.8 specific silencer versus just using a .30 cal one)

As far as the wait, submit your paperwork and forget about it; it'll pass quicker than you think. Additionally, everyone froze purchases anticipating the Hearing Protection Act might pass and they wouldn't have to register or pony up the $200, but that has died many times. Without diverting too deep into politics, I haven't observed any real political appetite in DC to actually remove silencers from the NFA registry requirements through legislation that would have to be defended against the predictable narratives.
              Last edited by yardsale; 12-22-2020, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Put me in the no suppressor camp. If they were a couple of hundred i might buy one but for 700-1000, no way, and add in the cost of threading a bunch of guns. I also don't care for the added length and weight on the guns. And if you use one suppressor on multiple guns then you have shifting points of impact to deal with. So you either need multiple suppressors, or if you go from gun A to gun B then you have to swap the suppressor to keep your POA the same. I can use a 3 dollar set of earplugs and be happy. Anyway that is my opinion, some people love them though and you might too. Good Luck

Comment

I like both but don't have a suppressor. Maybe someday. I can hear a bullet connect without a suppressor on that's no problem. But it'd be nice not to have to wear hearing aids someday.

Comment

I have 2. I have a 7.62 can and an integrally suppressed 44 mag. Here is what I like and don't like. Shooting super sonic rounds through my bolt action 308 tamed it down enough to not hurt my ears. My 223 AR-15 SBR not so much. If you want whisper quiet, they are less than stellar for hunting because of the greatly reduced energy. I also hated the extra 9" added to the end of my rifle. It will work as a blind gun but not great as a truck gun. Point of impact will change some when its on or off.

This was my take on the 308 suppressor. Next I got a integrally suppressed 44 mag because I wanted to shoot a true suppressed round and be able to hunt with it. I have been pleased with it a lot more than my 308 can. It is the same length as a standard rifle. Additionally, a 300 grain 44 slug at about 1050 fps performs better than a much lighter 308 bullet traveling the same speed. It is good for about 80 yards maybe you could push it to 100 yards and that is about it.

I know some will disagree with me, but personally, I would have rather saved my money and just bought the 44 mag in the first place. A lot more fun in my opinion.

Comment

On the looong wait. look for a gun range that sells them. most will let you shoot the suppressor at the range once its paid for, but you cant take it home till the stamp arrives. That helped me decide to buy. I could get conjugal visits.

Comment

Price hearing aids and consider how many pair you'll need in your lifetime to get to a level of hearing that doesn't come close to what most of us were born with. Yes, they are worth it.

Comment

all day long and twice on Sundays!

After you buy yours, you too will start to stick your nose up to the unsuppressed rifles of your friends.

They make shooting better! And Like was mentioned about above , when you bite the bullet, go ahead and buy 2. The wait is long, but you will be overjoyed when you get them installed.

Comment

I dont regret the 1k I spent on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by chaseh View Post
                              all day long and twice on Sundays!

After you buy yours, you too will start to stick your nose up to the unsuppressed rifles of your friends.

They make shooting better! And Like was mentioned about above , when you bite the bullet, go ahead and buy 2. The wait is long, but you will be overjoyed when you get them installed.
                              I only go hunting with other buddies that have cans. I’ll invite buddies that don’t to go with me, but they’re told they’re shooting one of my rifles if so. I’ve got spare rifles with spare cans that I lend them. I’m not shooting with barbarians.

Comment

A buddy on here just sent me a video of him shooting a nice N TX deer they rattled up. This was right after they shot 2 pigs in the same bottom. Couldnt of done that without suppressed.

Comment

Working...
                                X