No announcement yet.

Looking for East Texas Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We hunt 3000 acres in Red River County and our ranch manager swears he saw one crossing a road on the property last year. FYI...it was very close to my stand. I have not seen any signs though.

Comment

awesome pics!!

Comment

Casey, you dont have far to look if you are in the Naples area. We have seen tracks and other sign on our property just outside of Bryan's Mill on the Sulphur River. I have a pic of a track somewhere, I will try to find it. We first started seeing sign about 3 or 4 years ago. We have never had one come to a feeder there but we have not had a feeder running in a couple years. I believe they are there, just havent seen one for sure yet.

Comment

We used to have a lease right out of Karnes City. One night we saw what I said then was a bear crossing the highway while we were going to a cafe.

The next week, news was a bear had been seen in the area by a couple of locals.

I was hunting in New Mexico back in the 80' and we were seeing a lot of fresh bear sign. It di ad an extra element to the hunt..

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
            Why do you want bears in Texas?
            I hope all of the people saying they want to see bears in Texas remember that when they are tearing up your feeders, stands, camps, ect... and its illegal to shoot them because they are protected.

what is a bear good for, if you cant hunt them? They will be able to tear stuff up, kill other animals and probably a person or two...and we cant hunt them?

What is the UP side of having bears in the woods?

Look at the flip side of what you are saying. If we erradicate everything that we can't hunt that causes us some kind of aggravation or irritation what would we have then?

I am more scared of stepping on a snake than I am of running into a bear. I do understand what you are saying about them tearing things up. i doubt they will be killing many people though, only the stupid ones that try to get close for pictures or start feeding them.

Comment

Bears sighted on my lease between Martinsville and Aiken on Hwy 7 East of Nac. . Game Warden has told everyone, NO BEARS!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                Look at the flip side of what you are saying. If we erradicate everything that we can't hunt that causes us some kind of aggravation or irritation what would we have then?
                Thats just it...we ARE.
                We kill every coon, hog, coyote, Mtn lion, stray dog, black panther, ect.... that we see.
                Why would anyone WANT to bring in something that is/can be dangerous to us, our pets, or destructive to our homes (trash cans, storage sheds, that taco Bell wrapper left in the back seat of your car) campsites, hunting set ups, ect...

AND we are NOT allowed to hunt them!

Someone shot them all out of Texas a long time ago for a reason. (most of Texas anyway)

Comment

If they do start a comeback there I dont think that they will be able to be hunted. This is because they are the Lousiana Black Bear which is a subspecies of the American Black Bear and I believe that the LA Black Bear is protected. I may be wrong.

Comment

Thats just it...we ARE.
                    We kill every coon, hog, coyote, Mtn lion, stray dog, black panther, ect.... that we see.
                    Why would anyone WANT to bring in something that is/can be dangerous to us, our pets, or destructive to our homes (trash cans, storage sheds, that taco Bell wrapper left in the back seat of your car) campsites, hunting set ups, ect...

Someone shot them all out of Texas a long time ago for a reason. (most of Texas anyway)
                    And the reason was??? Ignorance for the most part. The " there's a bear let's go shoot it" mentality.

Comment

If a bear can eat a pig I am all in. The pigs here in Wood county have to be worse than a bear could ever be about tearing things up. The pigs need a natural preditor, and hell we might actually get to hunt bears here in Texas again, instead of having to travel to Canada. Oklahoma has a bear season now, along with Arkansas and I think Lousiana.

Comment

Thats just it...we ARE.
                        No offense, but speak for yourself.

It's really not all about us. They were here before us and deserve to be restored to their native territory where the habitat exist to support them.

Most due to over-hunting, poaching, and a healthy dose of ignorance of how to live with them...a more informed relationship with the bears could lead to huntable populations in Texas again.
                        Last edited by tinman; 08-09-2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Thank you tinman!!

Comment

They say to wear a bell and carry pepper spray whenever you are in bear country. You also should know the difference in black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is small and contains small berries and flowers. Grizzly bear poop jingles and smells like pepper spray!!

I say, bring them back, maybe they will kill or run off the @#$%&^ pigs!

Comment

anyone think about why they were all killed out years ago? i personally have mixed feelings about them,, but have very deep roots going way back in se texas, my guess is they will disppear again and for the same reasons as before

Comment

Most due to over-hunting, poaching, and a healthy dose of ignorance of how to live with them...a more informed relationship with the bears could lead to huntable populations in Texas again. [/QUOTE]

so we should learn to live with terroists too?

Comment

Working...
                                X