No announcement yet.

How many 22-250 hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a 22-250 anymore, wish I still had the two we used to have. I have used two different 22-250s to kill deer and hogs. They were very deadly. I only shot deer in the neck and pigs in the head. None shot with either 22-250 moved, other than straight down.

Now I had a buddy who we let borrow one of the 22-250s to kill his first deer, pretty sure he lung shot a doe with it. We told him repeatedly, to where and how to neck shoot the deer, he made a center mass, body shot. We know he shot a doe, from all the info we got, it seemed he shot her through the lungs. We looked for at least two hours, never found her. That was the only time I ever was around when someone shot a deer with a 22-250, that was never recovered, and the only time, one ever ran, after being shot with a 22-250. We were very picky about where and when to shoot deer with the 22-250s.
    A heart shot deer with a 22-250 will die quickly, but most likely close to no blood externally. So you are just following tracks, if it's truly a heart shot, the deer should be dead, inside of 50 yards. Lung or liver shots, they may cover a lot more ground, before dying.

I used to love neck shooting deer with either 22-250 we had, would love to have another 22-250. The idea of giving 22-250 to a person who has never hunted or killed anything or very little, hunting experience, in my opinion is a bad idea. You really need to be very picky about where you hit them with those little bullets. Those little bullets will act like a explosive device when they hit, but you don't get much of any blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      I wouldn’t even think about it for anything bigger than earholed hogs or vermin. My son killed a buck in Runnels Co. one year that was limping. He thought the buck’s leg was broken. Turned out it was an old injury but the buck wouldn’t put that foot on the ground. When we skinned him we found almost no meat on that shoulder. It was barely a half inch covering his scapula. What we did find was a bullet from a centerfire .22 of some description embedded in that scapula. If I wanted to take the chance on wounding deer I’d have no problem using a .22, but I’d rather not chance that. I know a bunch are gonna say how many train loads of deer that they have killed with a 22-250 butI wonder how many would elk hunt with a .243, or moose hunt with a 25-06 ? It’s the same thing !
      Guess it comes down to confidence. I wouldn't expect my young one to make the same shot I would.

Comment

my 9 year old and I got one for Christmas (Ruger American) I changed the stock and did a few little odds and ends but its a shooter....

he hunts deer, i chase predators with it.... ever once in awhile headshoot a doe

Comment

I use 60gr Nosler partitions in mine and they work very well. Shoot almost all my does and lots of pigs with it. Great little caliber when used right and shot placement is right.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            bullet placement.
            And hoping your $19.99 Amazon scope rings didn’t move your zero

Comment

I've taken several with mine as well. As others have said, that little bullet packs a wallop and does some unreal damage. Have othe calibers I use more frequently but the 22-250 still gets called upon here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastechred View Post
                Shoot in the neck and your good with any Caliber.

Comment

55 gr Rem PSP. Technically not a Core Lokt. Green and Yellow box. Shoot them like you would with a bow, never fails.

Comment

Federal Blue Box 55gr PSP will do the job too. Bigger exit holes. Remington bullet stays together better.
                    Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 10-27-2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                      55 gr Rem PSP. Technically not a Core Lokt. Green and Yellow box. Shoot them like you would with a bow, never fails.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002025866
                      I stand corrected, you are right. Not a defined core lokt bullet but the results are quite the same.

Comment

On big bodied bucks.....I'd rather have something bigger, but if you put these rounds out of a 22-250 right in the lungs, they will die, and die fast.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          And hoping your $19.99 Amazon scope rings didn’t move your zero
                          they're $10.99, and I love 'em ... get it right!
                          Plus, a .22-250 isn't going to move anything.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            they're $10.99, and I love 'em ... get it right!
                            Plus, a .22-250 isn't going to move anything.
                            Dang. They prime shipping too?!

Comment

I built a fast twist 22-250 Ackley and shoot 75 grain Swift Scirocco bullets in it at just under 3600fps.

I’ve never seen animals drop so fast when shot through the shoulders. All 4 legs just fold up and they drop right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My wife shoots a Ruger Hawkeye in 22-250. I load her up the 50 grain Barnes TSX over a max charge of IMR 4895 and at about 3750 fps ain't nothing going far. Several nice deer and a bunch of bus sized hogs have all fallen to that round.

It's all about bullet placement.

Comment

Working...
                                X