Deep East Tx Deer Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    I’m am not inquiring about bucks or antlers quality. I’m talking about overall numbers … the reality is despite my area numbers seemingly being down, the antler quality and the buck opportunities going into this fall are exciting. That being said I can’t remember the last time I actually saw a deer on my land that wasn’t on a game camera. And places where it was not uncommon to see a deer in and around the area are pretty barren at the moment. It’s perplexing I have over 200 acres, habitat is excellent, one part of it borders for Carter Pasture (lots of land), overall good neighbors and the hog situation is not too bad now (was a few years ago).
    I have been on a little less than 200 acres in Houston County for the last 6 years and seeing deer similar to you. Couple good options this year, similar property setup, ours being very wooded (actually logged a couple years ago) and pasture on 40%-50% of the perimeter, with hogs down in numbers. I put a lot of hunt time in to help with that.

I put a huge amount of work in trying to get just to where it is now and keep feed out all year long. Just this year I actually have one buck that looks like the big "East Texas deer" I have been hearing about. But he is not a regular, of course

Do not see deer numbers while in the ladder stand like other guys have shown in pictures. I don't even see large groups on camera.

I think it is definitely one of, if not the hardest areas to hunt.

Still have not got a buck.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      The place I hunt near Groveton has been MLD for years. There is no shortage of deer. And dang sure ain’t no shortage of hogs !

Same. And i’m only on a 40 acre private place. I hear yalls MLD opening mornings from my set [emoji23]. Never a shortage of shots but i tend to see plenty of deer (if there is such a thing).

Numbers are a few less this year than last, at least at my set. At this point last year I had 5-6 does and 4 young bucks plus two sure enough shooters. This year just 4-5 does so far and one yearling buck. It will all change in a couple weeks.

Pigs have been pretty nonexistent. Im bordered by a huge lease and DCNF just beyond that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Seems numbers in my part of Sabine county are on the rise.

Rwc

Comment

I would say our numbers are on the rise also in San Augustine/ Sabine county

Comment

I was hoping to hear what others said. Maybe drags this thread up to the top after season?

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
              yep piney creek is out south border and the neches is our north. we end to the east where piney dumps into the river
              Old Papermill Pasture ?

Comment

Enjoying a TG Michalada, I figured it was time to drag this thread back up. It’s Nov 25 and the “early part” of the deer hunting is over. Lots of posts on Tbh and other places stating they are not seeing deer. I am curious to hear folks observations specifically in regards to numbers (not big bucks). I have heard some wild theories… rut is late, acorns, too green, too hot, last winters freeze. My numbers are down and have been down. Saw vert few does. I called does off limits on my place prior to the bow season. Just did not see any deer this summer at all (except bachelor groups on camera).

Kinda curios to hear thoughts. And no, this is not me crying. I took a spike with my bow (live thread) and a nice 8 on the opener. My brother took a 140 on Monday of the opener. It was literally one of the few deer he saw all that weekend. So on paper the season looks good, but man, we just did not see (and have not seen lately) does.

Comment

My lease is 600ish on the newton/Jasper line. I think this season will make my 10th year and I bet we haven't killed 10 doe in that time frame. Over the last few years our doe numbers have slowly dwindled down to about an average east Texas beer lease numbers. 2 seasons ago the lease next to us decided to declare war on them but it started declining before that. Maybe they had better food sources and pulled our does there for all I know then tried to balance the herd ratio. This year we have the best buck here since I've been on this place though. We hardly ever see fawns so I'm sure our fawn recruitment is below average.

Comment

We are having our best season in many years as far as deer numbers. I've seen more deer this season than the past 4 combined. A few years of taking very few does is paying off for us and our neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                      We are having our best season in many years as far as deer numbers. I've seen more deer this season than the past 4 combined. A few years of taking very few does is paying off for us and our neighbors.
                      We never went hard on the does, but in the last two years we decided to put them completely off limits. It will be interesting to see if the numbers increase in the next couple years. That being said I have no complaints on what we saw in regards to bucks.

Comment

My deer numbers are still good. I think my slowest sit this year was 7 does and 2 bucks. Normally 10-12 does and up to 10 bucks. Feeding year round CONSISTANTLY has helped me a lot.

Comment

In southern Angelina county I’m seeing more deer than I ever have although now that I think about it I’m seeing way more bucks than does.

I don’t hunt feeders. I’ll hand toss a small amount of corn out the night before a hunt. I’m my experience, the feeders spook bucks and draw in hogs and the deer here avoid hogs.

I would not be surprised if MLDs and excessive dove harvest has an impact on populations in some areas. Also keep in mind the timber is managed under the current TIMO / REIT structure far more aggressively than Temple Inland did and even more than neighboring piney woods states. Shorter rotations, higher planting densities, etc impact habitat.

The freeze may have hurt as well

Comment

Excessive MLD permits I’m sure have had an impact, but so has doe season lengths, bag limits, and land fragmentation.

I realize it’s **** near impossible to put limits on property size, so the only other option as far as I see is lowering bag limits, or shortening the doe season. A few years ago they went from a four day doe season the 4 days following Thanksgiving, to the first 16 days of the season, and I know full well that’s hurt.

Comment

I hunt in southern Polk close to Dallardsville and have been on the same lease for 26 years. Going back as far as when the 13” rule went into affect the doe numbers are down. My lease is only 950 acres, but it is in three sections basically. Connected but just shaped strange.
                              Bucks don’t live on my lease year round. They show up in September and leave when they shed antlers. Three years ago the timber company strip cut about a third in November and sprayed herbicide in the summer. Deer numbers were way down the past two seasons. This season is a little better overall, but I see three bucks to every doe. Very few does are taken on my lease. I’m the only person that bow hunted this year. It’s normally three of us. I saw deer most of my hunts in October. In November when I hunt a narrow right of way and can see 1000 yards two directions, I have seen above average deer numbers but still more bucks than does.

Comment

Seems like the “more bucks than does” thing is real. Thankfully fawns do not come from does or in a few years we might really be in a jam….. oh wait….

Comment

Working...
                                X