No announcement yet.

Who makes their own bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done several large batches with and without cure. I prefer dry brine with cure #1, 1/2 cup sugar and salt per 5# of meat. Rinse after 7 days in the bag, flipping every day. I have a strong preference for cold smoked bacon, but if we don't have cold enough weather I smoke to 140' and let it rest overnight. Buying a good slicer made all the difference in the world. Yes, you will become a bacon snob and store bought bacon just won't ring your bell the same any more.

Comment

Originally posted by soap94
      I think it is too expensive. You can buy a high quality bacon in any grocery store, there is no need to do it at home!
      They why hunt or fish or even get you butt out of bed. We do these things because we like too. Take care.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The hogs I get never have enough fat on their bellies for this.

Comment

probably not the best thread to be reading through when the thoughts of lunch are starting to creep into my mind

Comment

Its very very simple.
            I get pork bellies at Costco or Sams.
            Kosher salt, Course ground pepper, Brown sugar, and some Maple syrup (real stuff, not the walmart crap).
            No cure salt in mine...ever. This is the whole reason I make my own.
            In the fridge for 7-9 days. Flip once a day.
            Smoke it.
            Slice it.
            Fry it in a old cast iron skillet and enjoy.

Comment

Well after 7 days in the fridge it was all I could stand. Pulled the slabs out and gave them a good rinse. I am going to let them sit in the fridge tonight the its time to fire up the cold smoker tomorrow evening.

Comment

you'll need to soak them in ice water or it will be salty.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                  you'll need to soak them in ice water or it will be salty.
                  Ok i will let them soak today, how long should i let them sit an soak? Thanks again brother.

Comment

Or you can just buy uncured bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      Or you can just buy uncured bacon.
                      Yea probably way cheaper and you dont have to lift a finger [emoji16]

Comment

We use pink cure as well. Doesn't take much. Easy way to make it the way you want it.

Comment

So after well into a week to cure and a few more days in the fridge to dry it out its time to cold smoke. I looked at the forecast and it looks like today is the coolest day of the weekend so its time to roll smoke.

Comment

ya forgot to add the pepper layer... Looking good though!

Comment

btw..... what you buy in the store is a lot of water weight. You end up with a piece of bacon 1/3 the size you started cooking with. This home made bacon you will have very little shrinkage... maybe 10%. Because of that it needs to be cooked a little lower heat and a little longer too. You can't compare store bought if you've had home cured.

p.s. someone asked how long to soak in ice bath. I used to soak and every 30 minutes cut a piece to fry up and taste. Now I just let it soak for an hour and it comes out to my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                                btw..... what you buy in the store is a lot of water weight. You end up with a piece of bacon 1/3 the size you started cooking with. This home made bacon you will have very little shrinkage... maybe 10%. Because of that it needs to be cooked a little lower heat and a little longer too. You can't compare store bought if you've had home cured.

p.s. someone asked how long to soak in ice bath. I used to soak and every 30 minutes cut a piece to fry up and taste. Now I just let it soak for an hour and it comes out to my liking.
                                My wife and kids are cool.without the pepper so i left that step out. Im pretty sure I let the meat set in the ice bath for just over an hour. Im just going to smoke it untill im ready to go to bed around 10 or 11 tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X