Lisa-MiMi's buttermilk pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lovely "lucky"" saint of a wife has made some slight adjustments/improvements on my grandmothers already great recipe over the years to make it a little more consistent filling and after several requests I figured, I'd just add it here for the world to see. In looking at other recipes through the years the ingredients are pretty much the same but the ratios are a little different here and there. Lisa and I like the buttermilk pie filling to be flavorful, creamy not clear, and solid throughout the pie with no holes or pckets. Some add nutmeg.....some don't. We like the nutmeg as does my family.

Probably should have done this before the holidays but oh well...it will be here for Easter, family reunions and Sunday potluck lunches until the next holiday season. Enjoy

Lisa’s Homemade Buttermilk Pie

*makes two pies

•3.5 cups sugar
    •6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    •6 eggs
    •2 cups buttermilk (real preferred but low fat is OK)
    •2 sticks of real butter, melted
    •4 teaspoons vanilla extract
    •2 unbaked deep dish 9-inch pie shells

*Nutmeg after 30 minutes at 375 (optional)

*18” HD aluminum foil for tenting

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Mix very well with Kitchenaid or hand mixer. Pour into 2 unbaked deep dish pie shells.

Set on cookie sheet (no airbake stuff). Bake 30 minutes at 375°F.

Check…sprinkle nutmeg lightly on the top (optional)….

Tent with foil to protect crust and top. HD foil folded over twice and tented. Do not let it touch pie filling. Bake for another 20 minutes.
    190-200 deg in center. Pull and let cool. Filling will settle as the pie cools.

Give one slice to your guests and save the second pie for yourself

Last edited by Smart; 01-09-2018, 09:55 AM.

Is this fat free?

Comment

OOOooo yeah!!! Droooooollll !!

Comment

Man, I had a piece with coffee for breakfast. We we're on the same page.

Comment

Dangit forgot the pics. The nutmeg/sugar combo gives it a nice brown chewy top.

Comment

Ooooof! Now I'm gonna have to make 2 this weekend. I need 2 because I'm trying to convert my California neighbors into something remotely close to Texans. She brought us some kind of weird berry pie the other day that I ain't real sure what was in it. One of these might help point them in the right direction on making pies.

Comment

Never heard of buttermilk pie but that looks tasty

Comment

Gunny you gotta eat you one of these pies. Buttermilk is the best pie ever.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

@smart is there a specific brand of pie crust? Also contemplating a homemade crust...got a recipe for a homemade crust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                      @smart is there a specific brand of pie crust? Also contemplating a homemade crust...got a recipe for a homemade crust?

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Dangit forgot the pics. The nutmeg/sugar combo gives it a nice brown chewy top.

I am over thinking things

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post

I've bought her everything room from Walmart brand to Pillsbury from Kroger. Not much difference in them imo. We do not have a homemade crust recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          I've bought her everything room from Walmart brand to Pillsbury from Kroger. Not much difference in them imo. We do not have a homemade crust recipe.

Thanks.

Comment

I made 6 of these over the holidays and they were a HIT! Thanks again for the recipe!

Comment

I love buttermilk pie! I'll mark this for next occasion!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X