Camera Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Recommendation

I know ZERO about photography or equipment other than what was posted in the above thread and what I've read in my bit of googling. With a vacation quickly approaching, I decided to bite the bullet. I really admire some of the photography posted on here and I could see it potentially becoming a hobby. I would like to heed SnakeLover's advice and buy a decent camera and eventually splurge on nice lenses. Just looking to get my foot in the door for now, though.

So to you pros and those more experienced than I (not saying much), please recommend a beginner-friendly camera and first lens in the 350-500 price range just to get me started. Not sure if that's even reasonable.

SLR
    - Canon EOS Rebel T6 seems to have pretty good reviews. Though, there were contradictory viewpoints regarding the model on the other thread.
    - Sony Alpha A5000L

Mirrorless
    What about mirrorless cams? What are the advantages? From my research, I've gathered that the Lumix is decent. Just seems that the mirrorless cams in my price range have pretty low resolution.
    - Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
    - Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
    - Sony Alpha A6000

Are there any other models I should consider? Any gear besides backup battery that is absolutely essential? Any other tips for a beginner? I look forward to getting started!

TIA,

Tim
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 02-22-2019, 08:02 AM.

Ttt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I started out with the canon T-series cameras and I have no complaints. They have enough features that you'll likely be under utilizing it unless you really dive in, and if you do, you'll want to upgrade again before too long.

Out of curiosity, what types of photos do you see yourself shooting? That will determine what types of lenses you should target in a big way.

Comment

If you can find a used Canon 7D for around 300-400, that might be a good route to go too. Then you can grab a lens or two depending on what you think you'll be shooting. I'd probably try to track down a 55-250mm lens and then see if someone is getting rid of their kit lens (usually 18-55mm or 18-135mm) for pretty cheap.

Comment

Out of all those cameras I'd pick a used A6000 body and a decent used lens. You can usually score them for around $200 or so and drop the rest of the cash on a decent 50mm 1.8 prime or their 18-150 (i think thats the range) zoome and you will be good to go

Comment

Thanks for the input, fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
              Out of curiosity, what types of photos do you see yourself shooting? That will determine what types of lenses you should target in a big way.
              Apart from the usual vacation pics, it'll most likely be utilized for wildlife/landscape pics. I realize those may require diff lenses.

Comment

I was in your boat a month or so back. I wanted a good camera and was trying to decide between Mirrorless or DSLR. I ended up getting a used Canon 7D for 350.00 in excellent condition. I was looking for something with a fairly high FPS for shooting moving things like wildlife and my 18month old. I’ve been really happy with it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                  I was in your boat a month or so back. I wanted a good camera and was trying to decide between Mirrorless or DSLR. I ended up getting a used Canon 7D for 350.00 in excellent condition. I was looking for something with a fairly high FPS for shooting moving things like wildlife and my 18month old. I’ve been really happy with it so far.

Those seem to be good cameras!

The A6000 shoots 11FPS for what it's worth... I captured some pretty good action shots with mine! It'll fill up a memory card shooting raw QUICK lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post

The A6000 shoots 11FPS for what it's worth... I captured some pretty good action shots with mine! It'll fill up a memory card shooting raw QUICK lol

Yeah I know they will. I just already had a couple Canon lenses so I bought the 7D body only

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post

Yeah I know they will. I just already had a couple Canon lenses so I bought the 7D body only

Comment

I'm a noob so take it for what its worth but I have the a6000 with kit lens and the
                        55-210.
                        so far I love it and have zero complaints, my wife has a high dollar cannon DSLR but I like the size of my mirrorless for better to carry around and use.

I'm learning as I go so I don't see the need for better lenses until I get better than what I have now. I've seen some pretty amazing shots done with a kit lens thanks to good composition and post processing.

There's videos on YouTube that are "cheap camera challenge" by Jessica Kobeissi where her and a couple of pros take extremely cheap toy cameras and each shoot the same model with the same camera, the photos they get from those cheap cameras actually turn out pretty good because they have all the other basics covered. I believe if you suck your still going to suck with high dollar gear, like bad form and technique with a high dollar quality bow

Like I said I'm a noob and am nowhere near the photographer these other guys are so this is just my opinion on it all

Comment

Originally posted by Spoken0313 View Post
                          I'm a noob so take it for what its worth but I have the a6000 with kit lens and the
                          55-210.
                          so far I love it and have zero complaints, my wife has a high dollar cannon DSLR but I like the size of my mirrorless for better to carry around and use.

I'm learning as I go so I don't see the need for better lenses until I get better than what I have now. I've seen some pretty amazing shots done with a kit lens thanks to good composition and post processing.

Like I said I'm a noob and am nowhere near the photographer these other guys are so this is just my opinion on it all
                          Hey, man... This is exactly what I was looking for. Real-world experience from someone in the same boat as me... or was recently.

I've been looking pretty seriously at a lightly-used A6000.

I appreciate the input.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                            Hey, man... This is exactly what I was looking for. Real-world experience from someone in the same boat as me... or was recently.

I've been looking pretty seriously at a lightly-used A6000.

I appreciate the input.

No problem, here’s one of my daughter I shot with the 55-210 lens...my mom was sitting in front of me holding her and she was not happy that grandma said no more cookies (I know it could be better but I’m pleased with it)

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X