No announcement yet.

What are the chances of survival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your on his right side and down wind I would say he's dead.

Comment

He usually is a camera hog...but I haven't got any of him. If he doesn't show, presumed dead?

That would be at least 3 or 4, 3 year olds that didn't make it. 2 of them had some serious potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        I have a buck named DeadEye, that is 3 years older since we noticed his right eye was gouged out. He’s now 6.5. I wouldn’t think another second about survival. If they can survive a gun or broadhead shot, an eye poke is trivial.

Dang that's a hoss!

Comment

Thanx for the replies. If he shows I will post pics.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
            Pretty slim if he makes 13 inches
            If that's ET it won't matter if 13 or not

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

This old gal made it, had pics of her for a few years after this with a big scar on her side. We are pretty sure it was a panther that got her.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty sure

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                This old gal made it, had pics of her for a few years after this with a big scar on her side. We are pretty sure it was a panther that got her.

It was a Rage to the cage or a Swacker! WOW.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post

A black one too! [emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                    When you get a chance to watch bucks fighting and sparring up close, it’s hard to believe any of them have any eyeballs left. I think he’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    X2

Somewhat common to antlered hoofed ruminant mammals, and known to Game Biologists as the “Rooster Cogburn” injury.

Sorry, none of that is true, I just like invoking one of my favorite John Wayne movies when I get a chance. What is true is that whitetail bucks are as tough as any character the Duke ever played.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                      A black one too! [emoji4]

Of course, we have a few pass through every year but they skirt the cameras!

Comment

There have been a bunch of deer on our place that are blind in one eye. We had a doe with two fawns that were all blind in one eye. Then there were some other deer that were blind in one eye. Very odd deal. My bet, is someone is shooting them with a shotgun, with bird shot, in the area. I think I counted five deer that were blind in one eye, two years ago.

I think the biggest problem is causes for them, is with cars, when crossing roads. But it could increase the possibility that a predator could get them. The doe that was blind in one eye, that had the two fawns, I think she got hit by a car, last spring. Her fawns have disappeared also. I watched them for two years, they had no issues. Then about the time a doe got hit by a car out in front of our property, I noticed I was not seeing the doe that was blind in one eye anymore.

The other two doe, seemed to have disappeared also, at some point last year, I think during the season. I still think someone shot them with a shotgun with bird shot, I thought just to be cruel or scare them off. Either way numerous of them wound up blind in one eye. But then slowly after a couple years all of those doe and the two fawns have disappeared. I am starting to think whoever shot them and blinded them, started using a rifle to shoot the deer.

For two years we had around five deer blind in one eye, but the last time I had the cameras working, I got zero pictures of deer, that were blind in one eye. For two years, you could not tell which deer were blind in one eye, other than in the night time pictures. They seemed completely normal, expect for night pictures where only one eye would glow. Then when watching them while in the blind, I could tell which deer were blind in one eye, because other deer could walk up to them on their blind side and they would not know the other deer was there, till it was very close. Than and when they went to look at something, they would always use the same side eye to look at something they heard.

A gouged out eye, would be more likely to get infected, than one that was blinded by bird shot. But most likely would happen within a month or two of the injury.

Comment

We have several mature bucks running around that’s missing an eye and they seem to do just fine. When 2 big long tined mature bucks go to war it’s pretty miraculous their all not blind. We did loose a 170” deer last year in Oklahoma to an antler to the rib cage but a missing eye they seem to do just fine with. We watched 2 bucks beat the snot out of each other at around 500 yards late one afternoon last year and the next morning the buzzards were on the same spot so we went to investigate and we found him and he had an eye poked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            I have a buck named DeadEye, that is 3 years older since we noticed his right eye was gouged out. He’s now 6.5. I wouldn’t think another second about survival. If they can survive a gun or broadhead shot, an eye poke is trivial.

Is he on the hit list this year?

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              Is he on the hit list this year?

Want to see him in person, but there's a good chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X