Bow vs Crossbow - hunting from ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow vs Crossbow - hunting from ground.

I'm trying to make a decision on either getting a new bow or a crossbow.

I'm afraid of heights (big time). I'm also very clumsy. I want to be able to hunt from the ground. I don't know how to hunt from the ground. Any suggestions would really help.

They both have there advantages and disadvantages.
    Compound
    - Have to draw back to launch arrow
    -harder to stabilize and aim (more practice is needed with a compound I believe)
    -slower speeds
    Crossbow
    -Already drawn back
    -Dont need to practice as much to perfect
    -faster speeds

The pros definitely go for the Crossbow as it’s more user friendly however the concept is the same as far as shot placement is key with both items. As for myself I love all the cons with the Compound it makes it much more rewarding when everything comes together after so much practice. I enjoy hunting with both as they both have pros and cons but I tend to lend more towards the compound more often.

If you decide to go with a crossbow I have a really high quality package for sale in the classifieds. Whatever you decide to purchase practice and have fun with it!

Comment

If you are clumsy you gotta be more aware with either or you’ll have a broadhead in you or a cut string.

Hunting on the ground is very productive, many diff techniques. I don’t use pop up blinds. I like a small chair or millennium tree seat, sun faded camo curtains or burlap, para cord, and clothes pins. Its real fast and extremely effective. The only drawback especially with guns is they come in so close you can’t move to get a shot or with a gun you get blood splatter on you.

Also, the only scent tip is unscented laundry detergent.

Goodluck weeding through all of the probable forthcoming Supremacist post.
      Last edited by Johnny44; 07-08-2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Be very aware of what's behind your target when hunting from the ground. The ground won't stop your arrow after it blows through or by a deer! Especially if theres rocks where you hunt! I've seen an illuminock go into orbit after it blew through a deer or two!!

Comment

I was all through hunting until I picked up a bow There are so many things that can go wrong while bow hunting but the tremendous lift you receive when
          it goes right is indescribable.

Comment

I get more out of killing with my compound, but crossbow>compound.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
              I get more out of killing with my compound, but crossbow>compound.
              Perfectly stated.

Comment

Yep, if you want the more deadly weapon I would choose a crossbow.
                I don’t own one though. If it weren’t for the challenge of getting drawn back on a mature buck within 20 yds, I might as well be hunting with a 30-30 on a bipod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My suggestion would be get a firearm. If you are clumsy your are going to be more proficient with a rifle, shotgun, or even muzzleloader, plus lookup crossbow finger amputations.
                  Last edited by SC-001; 07-08-2021, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                    My suggestion would be get a firearm. If you are clumsy your are going to be more proficient with a rifle, shotgun, or even muzzleloader.
                    I think the clumsy part was more do to heights. I bet he has firearms...

Comment

If you are dedicated and willing to practice I'd get a compound.. the satisfaction and excitement to me are unmatched. I hunt from a ground blind, tank ect. Have pretty much all of my life.

If you aren't going to practice, and practice more then get a crossbow. It's not worth injuring animals.

I will say though that I am also one who thinks compounds should only be allowed during rifle season.

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post

I will say though that I am also one who thinks compounds should only be allowed during rifle season.
                        You mean crossbows?

Comment

Anything not recurve should be rifle season…

A crossbow can result in many lost animals or misses because folk try to use it like a rifle. Exact yardage knowledge and ballistic dots is a MUST. Too many crossbow users try to stretch the distance too.

Not every deer tries to jump or duck string, it depends on the deer. I have noticed 30 yards is a safe shot. Regardless of 300 fps or 450 fps, the 30 yard distance doesn’t change because there isn’t a significant difference in the speed of sound -vs- the distance the bolt makes it before they flinch.

Its many times easier to use a bow than a crossbow.
                          Last edited by Johnny44; 07-09-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                            You mean crossbows?

He said compounds.

Compounds were rejected when they were first introduced to Texas Archery seasons, just like a lot of folks reject the crossbow. Now, a lot of the wheely bow folks think they are high and mighty by reject-n the crossbow. I wonder where this train is gonna stop next?
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-09-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Op, tell us a little more about your background. Do you have any prior hunting experience? Do you have time to practice and be proficient? Both are great tools to get you outdoors and enjoy food you brought to the table.

Comment

Working...
                              X