Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come nobody ever asks for a tracking dog for a doe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Been called to track many a doe... If I still had a good trackin' dog, I'd still be goin' out for does too...
    Andy brought Piper out for a pig I shot. Goes along with what I was saying in different thread about thinking an animal ran a certain way. I was tracking down where I thought the pig was. In about 30 seconds piper went a total different way and found it.

Comment

If you shoot it, you owe all efforts to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
        And why don’t people call a dog instead of waiting till the next morning to look? You lose all the meat.
        They typically cost money....sometimes more money than the deer is worth.
        Some folks like to polish up those tracking skills , it becoming a lost art.

Comment

Every deer gets a tracking dog on my place. But, I'm the french fry compared to the big potatoes like Sika and several others on here.

Comment

So far haven't needed one on a doe but wouldnt hesitate if need be.

Comment

#Doelivesmatter

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Don't nobody get doe fever!
                HA! I have had it before!!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  They typically cost money....sometimes more money than the deer is worth.
                  Some folks like to polish up those tracking skills , it becoming a lost art.
                  If you every get a chance to go to Africa and watch those native trackers you will quickly realize it IS a lost art in the states... That's some super natural stuff happening over there... Mind blowing!!! And I'm a pretty decent tracker....
                  Their senses are hightened to unreal levels..

Comment

I have had a few calls over the years for a doe, mostly when it was a kid that shot it.
                    Most guys don't want to spend the money to find a doe.

I was in Brady a few years ago and a guy called me wanting to track a doe. He was an hour away. I told him I would cut him some slack and do it for $100.00.
                    He said that was too much for just a doe.

So he was asking me to give up my afternoon hunt, drive an hour each way burning my diesel then spend however long running through the brush to find his deer but $100.00 was too much ?

I didn't make it over to him

I never charged anything for a kid
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	24593199

Comment

Because a doe is not a trophy it is just another mouth to feed and they are a dime a dozen.

Comment

I've had a few doe calls, but, like all other comments above, no takers since the hunter doesn't desire to take on the fee for the service.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          If you every get a chance to go to Africa and watch those native trackers you will quickly realize it IS a lost art in the states... That's some super natural stuff happening over there... Mind blowing!!! And I'm a pretty decent tracker....
                          I bet thats cool to watch. I never heard of a dog tracker until i got on TBH. My dad was a good tracker and made sure i was as well. I tracked a 6 point last year 200+ yds with no blood. That said, I'm in the hill country and i know its a totally different thing in south and east Tx with the ground cover they have in those areas but it can be done ( tracking effectively)

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                            I've had a few doe calls, but, like all other comments above, no takers since the hunter doesn't desire to take on the fee for the service.
                            Out of curiosity what is the fee? I've used trackers for doe and bucks before and believe the fee has always been between $150 and $300 depending on where I was. Can't recall every paying more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                              Not trying to discredit expert trackers but Paleo people used dogs to recover wounded game for thousands of years. Their weapons were not all that sophisticated. Often times the goal was just to wound something well enough that it could be tracked down and caught with dogs.
                              The practice is neither lazy nor new.
                              Last edited by Sika; 09-30-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alta View Post
                                Out of curiosity what is the fee? I've used trackers for doe and bucks before and believe the fee has always been between $150 and $300 depending on where I was. Can't recall every paying more than that.
                                I ask $150 to show up and $100 when found, so $250 total.

I never charge people I’m guiding (they can tip if they want) and I never charge on wounded warrior or other charity type hunts.

I often tell people I’ll cut them a deal if they will go on social media and post a good word about us. They don’t always follow through but I figure they’ll recommend me to their lease members at least.

Some ranches tip very well. I’ve been told I’m crazy for not charging more but I've found that in my area I get more tracks at that price point and people can always tip more if they are very happy so it all works out.
                                Last edited by Sika; 09-30-2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X