No announcement yet.

Muddy under feeders: Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x4 cattle panel and layer sack Crete on top. Bust it with a shovel pour water on it and it will setup and be solid for years.

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
      This for your best long term solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We did this mixing them in and also leaving whole on a couple of spots. The ones raked in still turned into mud pit and as slab basically works but areas just outside of it gets deep and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
        4x4 cattle panel and layer sack Crete on top. Bust it with a shovel pour water on it and it will setup and be solid for years.
        Just scatter closed/busted bags here and there or pretty much cover. Sounds potentially very effective with panel underneath

Comment

A friend obtained some used conveyor belt and used spikes to anchor it. It worked really well.

Comment

I put almost 20 bags of concrete under one of my feeders last year. You cant even tell

I fence the feeder off this year, but need to go in and put more concrete now that the piggies are no longer breaking it back out.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
              I put almost 20 bags of concrete under one of my feeders last year. You cant even tell

I fence the feeder off this year, but need to go in and put more concrete now that the piggies are no longer breaking it back out.
              You say you can’t even tell as in the pigs tore it up so badly or can’t even tell because grass grew over nicely?

Comment

Originally posted by Bow Daddy View Post
                We hunt in very wet/muddy area. Feeder pens help some but aren’t always possible and aren’t always effective as long as we allow pigs which we want to shoot with bows. Any out of the box ideas to keeping area under feeder from turning into a mud hole? Any suggestion we got which we are considering is putting down thin gauge cattle panel so they can’t root and putting old carpet or rug on top of it weighted down in the corners. Any thoughts or ideas other than feedpen, concrete floor (have tried and it has other issues with runoff). Thanks.
                I cut two regular cattle panels in halve the long way and made a small pen. I made a circle out of the panels with the cut ends up and a T post every 8 foot or so. Then I set my feeder to one side of the pen to throw some corn outside of the pen and most inside. I have hogs eating what falls out side and the deer get what is in side. Been doing this about 7 years and never had a hog in my pen.

Comment

Steve, with only 24” high, cattle stay out as well?

Comment

Concrete & Panels. Another thing that has helped us is going to the Lamco low feeders. They spread the corn out so the pigs don't root as much. When we had winch ups or feeders with cages the pigs always rooted up everything ,because there was a lot of corn in a small area. With the type of feeders with the plates for keeping varmints out it throws it into a bigger area & not a lot under feeder.
                    Last edited by DUKFVR; 10-14-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

We have had good success with pouring concrete on top of the dirt. It works best if you do this before there is a mud hole.

Comment

Concrete

Are you putting the bags under and wetting or spreading like piles or slab?

Comment

Could you build the pen, place the feeder closer to one side so it throws inside and out of the pen.

Still keeps your hogs around without the rooting in the pen.

Comment

spread out some hay or mulch, then get a 12 volt feeder and turn the rpms up so it slings it further away from the feeder.

Comment

I have a corral style hog trap with a feeder in it... under the feeder, the hogs have wallowed out about a 8x8 area that holds water when it rains, probably 6-8" deep. I've been planning on waiting until we get a good rain, when it is holding water, and putting down unopened bags of sakrete in the hole... if I added cattle panels as well, would I put those over top of the concrete?

Comment

I was running 19 feeders and had lots of hogs. The giant holes the hogs made were so big I couldn't even get my truck within 6 feet of the feeder with my back tires in the hole. I tried 2, 3 and 4 cattle panels and the ones with 2 and 3 cattle panels still ended up a muddy mess. 4 Cattle panels tied together worked good. You need to use long stakes on all corners and in between the corners or the hogs will bend them up and start rooting under. 4 Cattle panels will cover about 16' X 16'. I had no issue with hogs and deer walking over the cattle panels and eventually most of the cattle panel will sink a little into the dirt/mud so they are not even walking on it. Most of my feeder are on skids so I would also tie the cattle panels to the skids. Please note that after the cattle panels are there for a long time and sink into the dirt/mud, they can be a real pain to get back out especially if the ground dries up.

Comment

Working...
                                X