Experienced pro tile guys on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experienced pro tile guys on here?

I'd like to pm somebody on here who has pro-level experience with tile backsplashes, etc. We're having some done in our new house and I'd like to show somebody some pics of it for an opinion.

Post up the pictures and questions you have.

Comment

OK, well... our new house is about 95% built now. The tile/flooring guys have been working on and off for the past month (he'll come in for a couple of days, then disappear for a week). We have never had custom tile work done before, so we don't really have any reference point for evaluating the quality of their work. What we're mostly seeing is tiles that are crooked or evenly spaced. Two tiles will be up against each other, while the next two tiles will be 1/8" apart or more.

The installer just blows it off, says don't worry about it, when it's grouted in, we won't notice it.

My wife is VERY disappointed in how it looks so far, and says after we move in, she's going to pay somebody to just tear it off and do it over.

In the pics below, the maroon tiles are 4"x4", over a fireplace. There are 3 like this, out of about 10.

The small blue graphic tiles are about 2" square, on the backsplash over the kitchen counter.

The brownish-beige tiles are in the master bath next to the tub and shower.

I'd just like to have an opinion on this work from somebody who's has some experience. Thoughts? Are we overreacting? Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

You are not overreacting. That is very poor work. Have him fix it

Comment

Sorry craftsmanship. Your money is all you have to hold over their heads. Don't pay till it is right.

Comment

Just asking, no offense.... what credentials do you guys have for having those opinions?

In any case, the builder has already paid the contractors, and even then, there's not time to tear it all off and do it over. We HAVE to get moved. And frankly, I don't think this guy is even capable of "doing it right." He's just sloppy (IMHO), period. I think we're going to have to just bite the bullet on this one. But I will definitely send these pictures and others to the company owner, a really great guy who will NOT be pleased to see this.

Comment

Negative GhostRider !!!
              Grout doesn’t hide anything.
              This is the problem with builders these days .
              They don’t even check up on the work their subs are doing!
              I wouldn’t pay my builder for that at all !
              It is the General Contractors job to verify and validate all phases of construction .
              Start to finish !
              Last edited by sasqy; 05-05-2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I am no pro, but have laid tile before. I don't think this guy has

Comment

That’s $#!+ work!!!!!

I’m high and tell them that when I bid it... but you won’t stump your toe on kick up tiles... or look at that mess.

Make him fix it. Accidents happen and maybe it was an honest oops. Give them a chance to fix it. Any flax and I’d front his @$$ and withhold payment. I got a 7yo that can do that work

Comment

That nitch in the shower will pool water too. He did frame it which surprise me... just did bottom wrong. Water will get in grout line. And if not red guarded completely below that or other barrier it will take in water

Comment

I've done finish work on homes ranging from $150k spec homes to $30 million customs. I don't think this work would be acceptable in the low end homes I've worked on. Grout may make this look worse unless the color closely matches the tile.

Sorry to see your home is turning out this way. I'd do whatever I could to not have to look at this everyday. It would drive me nuts. Hopefully the builder can help make this right.

Comment

I’m not a pro, just have done tile on my house and for family. Pictures you put up show poor work I can do way better and don’t do it as my day job. Don’t pay any money to anyone until it’s done right otherwise you will live with it forever... It’s quite common to pay contractors and get work like that if you don’t babysit them at all times. It’s annoying especially when you’re paying a contractor I wouldn’t put up with it. Just take a hammer and smash anything that doesn’t look good It’s what I would do and no one would get paid until fixed right. You have to set the bar on what you expect from your builders contractors or else they will give you subpar/sloppy work

Comment

Yep. If you accept that mess, your telling them you will be fine with poor trim work and all other finish work. And they will sub it out according.

Comment

I build cabinets for a living.

Even I can tell you that is sub-par in a big way.

Comment

That is horrible, spacing and gaps not consistent etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X