Got chiggers? Try this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got chiggers? Try this...

...and then let me know if it worked for you too.

Pardon me while I tell the whole story before I get to the point of this thread.

Two nights ago, my husband and I went for a quiet evening ride on our horses and I decided to cut across a neighbor's property to get to our other pasture. As we walked through the tall grass, a fawn jumped right underneath my mare and sent her spinning around. I think I was airborn longer then I was in the saddle and long story short, ended up getting stepped on as my mare bolted (fortunately I wasn't on her when she did a nose dive down the embankment onto the gravel road). I was a bit disoriented and couldn't use my right leg and had to wait while my husband ran home and got a vehicle to pick me up with. Well, as it turns out, that tall grass must've had a fresh crop of chiggers and while I don't have any broken bones (praise God!), I now have the worst case of chiggers I've ever had. My scalp, face, neck....all the way down to between my toes is covered in chigger bites. I've been sleeping with a hairbrush in my hand just to give you an idea of the fun I've been having. Anyways, while talking to my lil sis on the phone, she suggested I try something that helped her with a jellyfish sting she suffered while in Belize. Apparently the locals told her to put Windex on her stings, and she said it gave her immediate relief, so I tried it on the chigger bites. Now I don't know if I just have an overactive imagination, or if the pain meds I'm on are working, but I am convinced that the Windex really helped. Remember, I'm heavily medicated right now for my smashed leg, but I still think the windex worked.

What I'm asking, is for someone else to try this and see if it really works. I used the blue "original" formula Windex brand window cleaner. If it works, come back here and let me know. If it doesn't, well, I guess I just humiliated myself in front of the entire TBH community (but that wouldn't be the first time). So, before I ramble any longer, please someone, try this!

-Cheryl

Well, I run across chiggers at least once a year....for full and complete input to the windex, I would need you to share the pain meds for an accurate comparison!!

Seriously, I'll give it try the next time me or the kids get into them....willing to try anything. Only thing worse for me is tick bites, cuz they seem to itch a week or two longer. I'll take one tick bite to being attacked by a dozen chiggers any day!!

Comment

I'll give it a try, heck we're at the river all the time.....it's a great place to collect chigger bites.

Comment

I have heard that ammonia is a pretty good killer of the chiggers but also acted as a disinfectant. I haven't tried but I believe ya

Comment

after bite is ammonia

Comment

I just found that LYSOL BATHROOM CLEANER works GREAT FOR THEM! It kills 99.9% of bacteria and it KILLS CHIGGERS! I was soooooooo b ad that I poured half a bottle in HOT water and jumped in for ten minutes and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LIFE WAS SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was that or windex so I guess I could have used the windex !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Was it in My Big Fat Greek Wedding that the old man used Windex to cure everything?

"Put some Windex on it!"
              If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Comment

I had a pharmacist tell me to mix bleach and water 50/50 and put that on chiggers. It seems to work. My guess would be it's the amonia in the windex that's working.

Comment

i will be a guinea pig next time...

hopefully there wont be a next time....

Comment

Yep Rudey. My sister said that's exactly what it was like in Belize. Windex cures everything else, so why not chiggers itch?

Comment

I'll give Windex a try. Now I set in a warm bath with a cup of bleach in it. Does the trick. Of course I dont think I've had em on my neck

Comment

Sorry for your spill, Cheryl. Very blessed girl. Will definitely try the Windex. I'll get a "streak-free shine" even if it doesn't knock the chigger itch.

Comment

Chiggers

Sprayed some on my legs and worked pretty great!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
                            Sprayed some on my legs and worked pretty great!!!
                            Now if only I could get him to spray some on the windows

Comment

Good ole fashion bleach bath will kill 'em

Comment

Working...
                              X