Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on Chartplotters

Howdy!

I am reading mixed reviews online regarding GPS units. I am going to be running the bays 90% of the time and I want a reliable unit I can use to navigate with. Mostly because I am new to the bay fishing world, and unfamiliar with most areas.

Trying to keep it under $1300 for the unit, and would like for it to be 8-9". I am expecting to have to purchase Navionics as well.

I only need one for the center console. Do not need to run multiple.

Any input is gladly welcomed. Make, model, etc.

Thanks y'all!

I have humming bird and Garmin not even close on the accuracy. Garmin wins now for side image humming bird.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

if you have a motor guide go with Lowrance, if you have a MinnKota go with hummingbird. start there.

I do more bass fishing than anything (have had 2 back surgeries so the Skeeter SX2250 was the boat I bought vs a bass boat for the depth, comfort, and weight of the boat - plus still wanted all stainless so I could still go to the saltwater) and run two carbon hds units. 12 on console and 9 on dash and use Navionics. mine are set up to "talk" to each other. I cant plug my 9 to the trolling motor due to the unit being a saltwater version OR due to the year if they do that now.

start with the type of trolling motor to know what unit to use if they will be connected. if not, then it doesn't matter. between the Navionics and the chartplotter, if you never hit anything, don't ever erase that path. if you are saltwater, doing it at low tide is best due to the fluctuation of the water levels.

if you do hit or bump something, use your icons to mark that spot as a hazard. also too, I follow my tracks with the screen zoomed in to as close as 50, no further out than 100. that way I can keep it pretty true to the actual path. so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryAddict View Post
        if you have a motor guide go with Lowrance, if you have a MinnKota go with hummingbird. start there...
        Thank you for all your input!

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        I have humming bird and Garmin not even close on the accuracy. Garmin wins now for side image humming bird.

Thanks man. What model Garmin are you running?

The boat came with an old Lowrance. But it is a 4" screen, too small for me to look at quickly. Also, it seemed like the GPS was moving smoothly, then would skip a little bit, and try to catch back up or something.

I dont know if that's common or not.

Comment

I have a Lowrance Hook2 9. It was cheap, I want to say around $500. It does all I need it to do. I don’t use it very much though. Mainly if I’m exploring some new water and want to lay a track down.

Comment

Garmin is what i have always used after the old Lowrance C.

Good units especially with CHIRP.

Comment

Any opinions on this Garmin, in the 9"?

The ECHOMAP™ Plus 94sv is a chartplotter with a 9” keyed-assist touchscreen with features including ClearVü, SideVü, and CHIRP sonar with a transducer.

Comment

Originally posted by GigEmAgs07 View Post

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/59...-01902-05#maps
                You will like that one. I have the new 12 ultra for my panoptix and I believe it is the 1042 for my GPS.

Comment

I run through timber in the dark from Lowrance HDS with navionics and trails marked on the graphs. Have had gen 2 gen3 and carbons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a good price with the transducer...same price as the GPS store. Mine is a7" but a 9 would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by GigEmAgs07 View Post

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/59...-01902-05#maps
                      I have the inland lakes version of this one, the 93sv plus. I really like it but I just added a heading sensor and external gps puck to increase my accuracy so I can make waypoints and find them much easier at slow speeds. I do wish for the money I spent I didnt have to add the extra features but idk if this is standard addition on all brands of units

Comment

I use a Simrad NSS Evo 3 with the Texas coast card from Standard Maps. I has excellent imagery and makes it easy to determine deep from shallow, as well as marking rocks and such.
                        I think the chart plotter is above your budget, but they make one called a Go9 that may fit. Whichever way you go, I love the Standard Maps card. I have both it and Navionics Platinum and rarely look at the Navionics (it has better contour lines in deep water, and covers inland lakes that the Standard Map card does not.)

Comment

Appreciate all the help fellas!

Comment

I had a humminbird helix 5 and the GPS maps was not even close.

My next one will be Garmin with the built in Navionics. I runs bays 95% of the time. I do not like the lowrance interface.

Comment

I have a 9" HDS gen 2 with the built in maps and a navionics card. While I leave the unit running off the navionics I don't find it that useful in the saltwater. But like pandhandle I don't really rely on the unit unless Im in new water and even then with the tidal movement, hurricanes etc theyre not as accurate as they are in freshwater

I have Lowrance cause that's what came on a boat we bought years ago and I was familiar with them. If I was buying new and had an entire system to learn it would be Lowrance or bird. If you can wait till after deer season there are decent deals to be had at the fishing show

Comment

Working...
                              X