Alaskan Cruise - Who's done it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaskan Cruise - Who's done it

My daughter wants me to go on an Alaskan Cruise, but not the frilly kind.
    She wants to go on an Expedition Cruise, smaller ship, less frills, 60-100 guests and more expensive.

Has anyone gone on one of these? Thoughts and comments.

No but it is on my list to do one day. Frilly or regular so interested in the responses here.

Comment

I have not but seen them when we did the land sea cruise. From what I seen they get in closer to shore and see more wildlife both at sea and on land. I would like it but my wife gets sea sick on the Bolivar Ferry so I would have to go alone.

Comment

Just got back from ruby princess cruise out of Seattle. We flew out of Austin to Seattle for a day and onto Juneau, Skagway Ketchikan, glacier bay and Victoria British Columbia. Haven't done the smaller ships but wonder why she wants to be on a smaller ship especially if it costs more. Take the cheapest cruise and spend your money on excursions. Imo

Comment

I did one in 2008 on a bigger ship. I believe we went on Princess. It was awesome. My wife wants to go again once the kids are older. I'd imagine that we will. We did a train on one stop, a deadliest catch boat one one stop, and a glacier on one stop. We spent 2 days among the glaciers on the ship and also did an excursion between Whittier and Anchorage on the way to the Airport. I'd go again in a heartbeat. My parents and brother got on a train at the end and went for another week or so on the train and saw a lot more of the state. My wife and I didn't have the time off to accommodate that addition tot he trip, but it sounded like it's worth it.

Comment

Did you go through the tunnel at Whittier ??

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              Just got back from ruby princess cruise out of Seattle. We flew out of Austin to Seattle for a day and onto Juneau, Skagway Ketchikan, glacier bay and Victoria British Columbia. Haven't done the smaller ships but wonder why she wants to be on a smaller ship especially if it costs more. Take the cheapest cruise and spend your money on excursions. Imo
              X2!
              Originally posted by aggie182 View Post
              I did one in 2008 on a bigger ship. I believe we went on Princess. It was awesome. My wife wants to go again once the kids are older. I'd imagine that we will. We did a train on one stop, a deadliest catch boat one one stop, and a glacier on one stop. We spent 2 days among the glaciers on the ship and also did an excursion between Whittier and Anchorage on the way to the Airport. I'd go again in a heartbeat. My parents and brother got on a train at the end and went for another week or so on the train and saw a lot more of the state. My wife and I didn't have the time off to accommodate that addition tot he trip, but it sounded like it's worth it.
              Same here^^^

Never heard of the smaller boat situation but we did a Alaskan sea-land cruise combo for our 30th wedding anniversary through Princess cruise lines last June. Even the land portion was on Princess properties. It was a great experience.

We flew into Seattle and spent a couple of days doing some sightseeing there before heading up to Vancouver where we boarded the ship.

I recommend paying the extra funds for a balcony room. We’ve taken many cruises in the past and I wouldn’t say a balcony view was a deal breaker on most of them....but not Alaska! There’s just so many breathtaken views that you don’t want to miss, trust me.

We were on the Coral Princess with stops and excursions in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord and Whittier before starting the land portion throughout Denali NP. The tour through Denali and the train ride from Whittier to Denali were spectacular.

Comment

Haven’t been on an Alaskan cruise yet, but I think I’d take the cheaper more pampered way.
                But, I chimed in because everyone is mentioning Seattle. We did Seattle, La Push on the coast, and a little cabin in a town near Seattle called Index. That cabin in Index is probably one of my very favorite places I’ve visited. Tiny town in the mountains on the river, nothing going on, but beautiful, and it’s one of those rare times on vacation you actually get to relax and take it all in. If you go through Seattle, it’s worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

She wants no frills? Try the Alaska Marine Highway. It’s just a ferry from Bellingham,WA to Haines, AK. It’s been about 12 years since I was on it. It had a cafeteria that was only open during the standard meal times and really expensive. The bar that was open for about six hours in the evening. They also had a movie room and showed a movie once a day.

They had cabins you could rent or you could pitch a tent out on the deck and freeze your buns off. The ferry stopped at all of the same cities along the inside passage (southeast AK) that the cruise liners stop at.
                  Last edited by AlaskaFlyerFan; 08-14-2019, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Went last August out of Vancouver. Spent 3 days on Vancouver island, caught the ship, got off and rented a car for 10 days of land travel. Enjoyed the cruise(Princess), loved the land part even more.

Comment

Lindblad is the ticket.
                      expeditions.com

Comment

We went on a big ship but we had 10 days on land and then 7 days on the boat coming back. Great experience

Comment

Fly to Anchorage, rent an RV, see Alaska. The end.

Comment

Bucket list for sure.

Comment

Going on an 8 day cruise to Alaska next month. We are more than excited....gonna eat some salmon, climb some glaciers, and ride a helicopter.

Comment

Working...
                              X