Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats Derrik!

Comment

Tuff day yesterday evening. My grandson called and wanted to go fishing, so we high tailed it to EMB. Got on some pretty good trout for a short time and out of nowhere the wind decided to blow 25 mph out of the south. We ended up with (2) good trout and a beating. I'd do it all over again to spend the time with that young man again though. We'll get em next time.

Comment

Good stuff! Little man had his saltwater tackle bag strung out all over the shop floor the other day! I need to make a plan to go catch some ocean perch somewhere!

Comment

Yesterday morning the Matagorda surf was about as good as it gets. We didn't get out until late due to the weather. I guess we left the dock a little after 7. We started catching fish right away and it just got better and better. We caught 4 limits and released a ton more. As the morning went on the quality of the fish got better and better. My folks were soaking mullet for redfish after catching all their trout and c&r'ing a bunch more trout. I kept throwing a topwater and was catching 20-24" trout one after another. Fantastic morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
            Yesterday morning the Matagorda surf was about as good as it gets. We didn't get out until late due to the weather. I guess we left the dock a little after 7. We started catching fish right away and it just got better and better. We caught 4 limits and released a ton more. As the morning went on the quality of the fish got better and better. My folks were soaking mullet for redfish after catching all their trout and c&r'ing a bunch more trout. I kept throwing a topwater and was catching 20-24" trout one after another. Fantastic morning.

Yep. I go to Surfside now cuz I can keep 10 over there. Lol. I got all mine on a jerk bait in about 15 minutes at first light. Played around with different lures all morning, spoons, topwater, Lele’s. Didn’t seem to matter. We never did get any real size. My biggest was around 20 or so. Started getting cut off and a couple shark hook ups around 8:30 and headed back to Sweeny.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              Good stuff!
              Nice catch

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                Yep. I go to Surfside now cuz I can keep 10 over there. Lol. I got all mine on a jerk bait in about 15 minutes at first light. Played around with different lures all morning, spoons, topwater, Lele’s. Didn’t seem to matter. We never did get any real size. My biggest was around 20 or so. Started getting cut off and a couple shark hook ups around 8:30 and headed back to Sweeny.
                I sure do miss fishing back home. Especially that limit. Wish I could make a trip back that way to hit the surf.

Comment

We made the long trek down from the panhandle to do some saltwater fishing. Saturday we went out on a 12 hour party boat trip and got our limit of snapper . Yesterday we went wade fishing with Collin Gee out of POC and had our limit of trout early then picked up a few reds and a Spanish mackerel. It was a blast though I dont think I'll go wade fishing by myself after that experience. I wasn't as brave as I thought especially when I was in chest deep water at one point and something kept bumping my legs pretty good. Other than that it was a great experience and I hope to do it again sometime.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice catches!! Don't worry about those little bumps... was probably just your fish on the stringer bumping you... Been wade fishing for over 50 years, and only 2 things will put me back in the boat, LOTS of stingrays and dirty water and dang man-o-wars when they're thick certain times of the year... Never worry about sharks, but also never wade fish in shorts for that bumping reason.... don't want 'em to "feel" something that seems edible.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                      I have never really fished the surf. Probably 2 times in the last 20 years. Both of those times have been from a boat, backing in and anchoring.

When you are looking to fish the surf, how to you decide where is "right"? Are you looking for bait sign or is the game catching them running up and down the bars? I have heard a lot of differing strategy on surf fishing and it got me pretty confused. We fish out of POC so walking in and wading is pretty hard unless its flat and you can take the boat in shallow enough to hop out. I am thinking I would like to try the iPilot in the surf when its calm enough and see what its all about.

Comment

Part 2-2019 Saltwater Thread

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                        I have never really fished the surf. Probably 2 times in the last 20 years. Both of those times have been from a boat, backing in and anchoring.

When you are looking to fish the surf, how to you decide where is "right"? Are you looking for bait sign or is the game catching them running up and down the bars? I have heard a lot of differing strategy on surf fishing and it got me pretty confused. We fish out of POC so walking in and wading is pretty hard unless its flat and you can take the boat in shallow enough to hop out. I am thinking I would like to try the iPilot in the surf when its calm enough and see what its all about.

I’m looking for clean water when I fish the surf, then bait.

Comment

Planning on hitting the surf bright an early on Mustang Island. Hoping to get in and out tomorrow before the crowds hit, but that may be a losing battle. Anyone else going to give it a try mañana?

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Tarleton Jake View Post
                            Planning on hitting the surf bright an early on Mustang Island. Hoping to get in and out tomorrow before the crowds hit, but that may be a losing battle. Anyone else going to give it a try mañana?

Jake

It’s a little too rough for my liking.

Comment

Topwater bite was strong early in PI. A couple of us picked up limits pretty quickly. Our second boat came in a little later but it kind of shut off about that time. We picked up a few more keepers and several dinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Late report... Fished down in Corpus last week for a tourney that was out of Rockport. Caught some reds in the 5lb range that we release as we was only going to keep 7+ lbers. Unfortunately those was hard to come by.

Comment

Working...
                                X