Samsung to Taylor Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
    Yep! It’s still allways going to be the “corn fields” to me. I’m going to steak night Friday in Circleville.”
    That place in Circleville is awesome. Better get your chicken fried steak while you can. Say Hi to the good Czech folks in the back room when you're there.

Comment

Taylor, the next Austin, Liberal city!

Comment

I live in Taylor and also not looking forward to this, not the progress we need. I have worked for a semiconductor company for 25 + years and Samsung has a reputation of being very difficult to work for. They have a very high employee turn over rate. We have had multiple people leave to go to Samsung and the majority quite and come back to us or move on to another employer within a few months to a year. I have had several vendors who come out to us and they said the refuse to go on calls out at Samsung Austin. The only people in Taylor who will benefit from this are the landowners. They will hire very few locals these are very educated jobs and as a whole Taylor is not.
        I hope In the end this all works out, but it’s going to change this place forever.
        The land prices have already gone thru the roof. I know of people who have already sold for multiple 10’s of 1,000’s of dollars per acre. Very scary if you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
          They will hire very few locals these are very educated jobs and as a whole Taylor is not.

So the Taylor locals should use this as a fire under their butts to get more education to qualify for these jobs. But I'm sure this plant will need security guards, janitors, cooks and dishwashers for the kitchen, HVAC folks, maintenance for the grounds all types of unskilled positions that can be filled by locals.

Comment

Wow! I have been looking to buy land in and around Granger, etc for a few years and thought they were out of there mind on prices....

Now it's only getting worse

From Taylor as well....

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              So the Taylor locals should use this as a fire under their butts to get more education to qualify for these jobs. But I'm sure this plant will need security guards, janitors, cooks and dishwashers for the kitchen, HVAC folks, maintenance for the grounds all types of unskilled positions that can be filled by locals.
              Yes there may be a few that get hired.,but the jobs you mention are very few of of 1600 to 1800 jobs the facility is supposed to bring. Typically most of the jobs you mention are contracted out in the semiconductor industries, so you would most likely would not be be a Samsung employee.
              Although the HVAC tech may be a Samsung position at a hirer salary.
              This plant will be highly automated, and much less hands on the wafer boats.

Comment

I live in Taylor and also not looking forward to this, not the progress we need. I have worked for a semiconductor company for 25 + years and Samsung has a reputation of being very difficult to work for. They have a very high employee turn over rate. We have had multiple people leave to go to Samsung and the majority quite and come back to us or move on to another employer within a few months to a year. I have had several vendors who come out to us and they said the refuse to go on calls out at Samsung Austin. The only people in Taylor who will benefit from this are the landowners. They will hire very few locals these are very educated jobs and as a whole Taylor is not.
                I hope In the end this all works out, but it’s going to change this place forever.
                The land prices have already gone thru the roof. I know of people who have already sold for multiple 10’s of 1,000’s of dollars per acre. Very scary if you think about it.
                Someone doesn't know how economics works. When you have more new people living in an area you will have to have more businesses supporting them. Means more restaurants, grocery stores, home depot etc. Now you may not like that but all those businesses provide jobs to people. Not only jobs but opportunities for those want to tonstart their own business. I don't see a downside to that. Taylor has been stuck in 1960 since 1960. This is a huge opportunity for the area.....and a much needed one.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                  Someone doesn't know how economics works. When you have more new people living in an area you will have to have more businesses supporting them. Means more restaurants, grocery stores, home depot etc. Now you may not like that but all those businesses provide jobs to people. Not only jobs but opportunities for those want to tonstart their own business. I don't see a downside to that. Taylor has been stuck in 1960 since 1960. This is a huge opportunity for the area.....and a much needed one.
                  Agreed, i totally understand economics, it does open up other opportunities for business to come in, but it’s not going to happen over night. Taxs and rent will go thru the roof and good families that have lived for years are going to have a difficult time adjusting. Point blank the way of life is going to change here.
                  The other thing to consider here is proximity to Austin, most support will come from Austin previously established businesses. There are currently no businesses in Taylor that have anything that Samsung needs, except the occasion meal catering.
                  Last edited by Ungawa; 11-26-2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

HEB for food for the workers.
                    Walmart/HEB for fuel for the workers vehicles…cheapest fuel in the county.
                    Rail line for plants supplies and chemicals.
                    Doctors for the workers and workers families.
                    McCoys/Ace for building and fixin the workers houses.
                    ALine Auto Parts was the only place in WilCo I could find AMS Oil 15w40 on the shelf for several years…that has changed recently.
                    Blackland Guns to supply the workers with firearms and ammunition.

This will cause the proposed new toll road on the east side of the county to be pushed forward with new neighborhood developments.

Ive heard rumor that Ford is formulating building an electric F-150 truck plant in Taylor/Hutto.

There are no pigs at Granger.
                    Last edited by Briar Friar; 11-26-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Great. Another 100k yankees moving here.

Comment

On that Disney rumors they have been building that place all over Tx I have been hearing for the last 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                          HEB for food for the workers.
                          Walmart/HEB for fuel for the workers vehicles…cheapest fuel in the county.
                          Rail line for plants supplies and chemicals.
                          Doctors for the workers and workers families.
                          McCoys/Ace for building and fixin the workers houses.
                          ALine Auto Parts was the only place in WilCo I could find AMS Oil 15w40 on the shelf for several years…that has changed recently.
                          Blackland Guns to supply the workers with firearms and ammunition.

This will cause the proposed new toll road on the east side of the county to be pushed forward with new neighborhood developments.

Ive heard rumor that Ford is formulating building an electric F-150 truck plant in Taylor/Hutto.

There are no pigs at Granger.
                          Good point on the pigs! However they are in the Taylor City Cemetery and beavers are invadeing the hike and bike trail!

Comment

Agreed, i totally understand economics, it does open up other opportunities for business to come in, but it’s not going to happen over night. Taxs and rent will go thru the roof and good families that have lived for years are going to have a difficult time adjusting. Point blank the way of life is going to change here.
                            The other thing to consider here is proximity to Austin, most support will come from Austin previously established businesses. There are currently no businesses in Taylor that have anything that Samsung needs, except the occasion meal catering.

Sounds like gentrification to me.
                            I see nothing wrong with it

Comment

You have tunnel vision. Samsung will need employees. No matter where they come from they will need places to live, eat, sleep, buy clothing, etc. I grew up in Round Rock in the late 70s early 80s. . Taylor hasn't changed since before then. Its a sad town with horrible schools. All this will change in next 5 years and all will be for the better. People don't grow up in Taylor and dream of living there as an adult. This will change that dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                                You have tunnel vision. Samsung will need employees. No matter where they come from they will need places to live, eat, sleep, buy clothing, etc. I grew up in Round Rock in the late 70s early 80s. . Taylor hasn't changed since before then. Its a sad town with horrible schools. All this will change in next 5 years and all will be for the better. People don't grow up in Taylor and dream of living there as an adult. This will change that dynamic.
                                Obviously you have not been to Taylor in the last 5 years, lots of progress. What you say of the 70,s and 80,s is true, hard economic times were tuff on Taylor, especially being an agriculture town. A little overlooked fact is that Taylor was the largest city in Williamson County until the late to early 60’s 70’s. With agriculture on the way out that changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X