Sonora / Sutton County 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianG View Post
    I've been out there for many years and 120's to 130's is realistic for a mature buck. We've killed a few in the 40's and 50"s

I'm headed out Thursday and staying until Monday for my opener. Ready to unwind.
    Good Luck, Brian! Glad to hear that things are rebounding.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamerendino View Post
      I don't think i have seen a deer break 130 in my area. We are trying to manage our area for the health of the herd. What is the G.S's opinion for full genetic potential in this area on average? Is 140 (5 year old ) to be expected with a good rain season, year round corn and supplemental protein?

I’m sure you will get the few and far between studs! Takes lots of time though for genetics to get where you want them. With all this rain and browse I wouldn’t doubt some bigger deer this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has taken us a long time (30yrs) of management. Pre anthrax we kept the herd at about 1/2 bucks to does and really work on culls and older 8’s. We will typically kill a couple deer a year in the 150 range. I would say our avg trophy kill is 140+. This area can produce but it take time and patience. We are low fenced and surrounded by very large ranches with similar mindsets. We have elected (us, owner and state biologist) to hold off one more year so the big boy gets a pass to breed. Along with the deer from last night I know of prob 5 more that will push 160. Largest we have taken was 172 w 16pts. Lots of properties this way seem to be overrun with deer numbers (normally) and that is why the bucks can’t grow to potential. Another good practice that is hard to get people to do is to take your does EARLY! Does shot late are breed and the bucks have spent lots of energy chasing them around. Plus the big boys can only breed so many and then the culls get them some. Hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by TexHunter12 View Post
          Has taken us a long time (30yrs) of management. Pre anthrax we kept the herd at about 1/2 bucks to does and really work on culls and older 8’s. We will typically kill a couple deer a year in the 150 range. I would say our avg trophy kill is 140+. This area can produce but it take time and patience. We are low fenced and surrounded by very large ranches with similar mindsets. We have elected (us, owner and state biologist) to hold off one more year so the big boy gets a pass to breed. Along with the deer from last night I know of prob 5 more that will push 160. Largest we have taken was 172 w 16pts. Lots of properties this way seem to be overrun with deer numbers (normally) and that is why the bucks can’t grow to potential. Another good practice that is hard to get people to do is to take your does EARLY! Does shot late are breed and the bucks have spent lots of energy chasing them around. Plus the big boys can only breed so many and then the culls get them some. Hahaha.

That’s always my problem I never shoot doe early!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianG View Post
            I've been out there for many years and 120's to 130's is realistic for a mature buck. We've killed a few in the 40's and 50"s

I'm headed out Thursday and staying until Monday for my opener. Ready to unwind.
            Good luck,

Comment

Anyone have any luck this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
                Anyone have any luck this weekend?

We just got back home from our trip. Just a hog and a axis buck for our group. I had a few good camera pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Looks like the remnants from Cyclone Pamela will be dumping a ton of rain on Thursday in the area

Comment

Sonora / Sutton County 2021

I got this guy at my place last Thursday afternoon! He isn’t wide, but he sure makes up for that with tall!!!!!! If his brows would have been long like everything else, he’d be dang near perfect!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 10-11-2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Great buck Bish! Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

I got this guy at my place last Thursday afternoon! He isn’t wide, but he sure makes up for that with tall!!!!!! If his brows would have been long like everything else, he’d be dang near perfect!

Bisch

That’s quite a buck!

Comment

Nice deer Bisch

Comment

Bisch

Great deer! Congrats!

Comment

That’s a great deer Bish. Great time length. Good shooting.

Comment

Bisch

Very nice buck. Congrats!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X