• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got drawn for the 11/5 to 11/9 hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
      The archery draw had 800 permits. 200 permits per hunt. That seems like a lot of hunters down there.
      About 15 years ago they had just two archery hunts. The first one was a week long but allowed 1,200 hunters or something like that in it. You want to talk about crazy. I saw a dude camped out on a road hunting with practice tips. It will still be a bit crazy but if you're willing to get away from the roads, you will be relatively alone (at least those venture that far out with you might have some common sense) and stand a good chance of being successful.

Comment

I got drawn for the second hunt! It will be my first drawn hunt ever!

Comment

I’ll be out there for the first hunt. I’m excited to be down at laguna again. I ended up killing a cow there a couple years ago during a rifle hunt.

Comment

Question for those you who have hunted at Laguna out of a tripod, do you think a 10ft Tripod would work down there or should I look for something a little smaller?

Comment

I got drawn for the last hunt 1/7-11/22.

I must've screwed up looking at the calendar because I can't make those dates. I would have to take 48hrs of PTO one week into the year. Big dummy!
              So having said all that, for all you guys who are pending 2nd draw, YOU'RE WELCOME! Lol

I have hunted it twice before and my advice is this;
              -get off the main roads and trails
              -use google earth ahead of time but don't "trust" google earth, I had a plan to hunt this clearing up in the middle of this really thick area. I made my way through all the thick, thorny, impenetrable brush only to find that my clearing was about as thick as everything else I had just pushed through. Boots on the ground and your eyes are the best way to scout. But GE has it's place.
              -hunt all day
              -get away from the crowded areas, the animals will be trying to do the same
              Last edited by Yakinthebox; 09-02-2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I got drawn for the 11-12 / 11-16 hunt as well. I’ll be there for sure I don’t know much about the NWR. Is there a good population of Nilgai and what about the whitetail? Just started searching threads for info

Comment

Originally posted by BenjiBarr View Post
                  Question for those you who have hunted at Laguna out of a tripod, do you think a 10ft Tripod would work down there or should I look for something a little smaller?
                  A 10ft should work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                    Congrats man. You’re turning into a regular down there. We are pending 2nd yet again. Drew it on 2nd last year so still holding out hope
                    Thanks and good luck to you. I got it on a 2nd draw last year too. This will be my fifth year in a row chasing nilgai in deep south Texas. Second year was at LRGV Teniente but all others were at lanwr. Last year I got drawn for a bow hunt in December and a rifle hunt in January. I connected on both hunts but no recoveries. Hit a big 8pt buck on the archery hunt and a bull nilgai on the rifle hunt. It's become personal now. I have learned alot on my own but have also been taught alot by a couple of generous tbh'rs. I love this place and cant wait to get down there again.

Comment

I got drawn on some other properties this year. I am surprised there are no conversations about them. I’ve been spoiled by LANWR and other hunt locations. People are always talking about them. Crickets on my new places this year. I got drawn on this one as well and can’t go so good luck to those waiting on the second go around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Whoooooohooooo!

Man I’ve had so much bad luck this year on elk and mule deer draws that I thought for sure I’d see “pending second draw” for this, but I managed to pull a tag for myself and 3 buddies for the last hunt of the calendar year (12/17-12/21). All you Pro’s that are going early- please don’t kill everything and try to save a couple nilgai for me! Never been this last in the year. I’m sure they will be wise to the pressure by then but maybe, just maybe, it will be a little cooler down there.

This will be my 3rd straight year on the archery hunt. Man I’m pumped to get back down there again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I will be down there for the first hunt also

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky333 View Post
                            I’ll be out there for the first hunt. I’m excited to be down at laguna again. I ended up killing a cow there a couple years ago during a rifle hunt.

Hey dude, how you been. Congrats on the draw. Hope you can connect again!

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                            Thanks and good luck to you. I got it on a 2nd draw last year too. This will be my fifth year in a row chasing nilgai in deep south Texas. Second year was at LRGV Teniente but all others were at lanwr. Last year I got drawn for a bow hunt in December and a rifle hunt in January. I connected on both hunts but no recoveries. Hit a big 8pt buck on the archery hunt and a bull nilgai on the rifle hunt. It's become personal now. I have learned alot on my own but have also been taught alot by a couple of generous tbh'rs. I love this place and cant wait to get down there again.
                            I can understand that personal part! If we don’t get lucky on 2nd draw, this will end my 5 year run for Laguna and/or LRGV. Bummed but it is what it is. Best of luck on your hunt

Comment

In for first hunt this year, had last hunt last year…hunting Gods are balancing the odds, lol. Really excited to go back, learned a lot last year, fully prepared to get humbled again.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                                Hey dude, how you been. Congrats on the draw. Hope you can connect again!
                                Hey! I’ve been doing well. I’m working in AK again doing 3 weeks on/3 weeks off. I hope you’re doing well and I hope you get drawn for this hunt. I could use some help. Ha ha.

Comment

Working...
                                X