SW Colorado OTC archery elk changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
    The study I read was there was too many people pressuring the elk during the rut and it was occurring later in the season.. which caused the calves to be born too late and not survive the following season. This is all about calf mortality to increase the herd.
    Maybe elk breed different than whitetail but i don’t think you could pressure deer anymore during the rut and they still breed at night. I have heard quite a few bull elk bugle at night in sw Colorado so I know they breed at night also. I can see the heavy snow affecting winter survival but do we really think hunting pressure in some of the roughest country in North America changes free range elk breeding habits! That is hard for me to swallow. I would bet someone one on Colorado board doesn’t like bow hunting!
    Last edited by Killer; 01-22-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

This ruined my day

Comment

the worst part of the deal is loss of the either sex archery tag. So you will be forced to apply by draw for cow only or bull only. Grrrrrrrrr!

I also wonder how many hunters will now forgo the archery hunt and just buy an OTC tag for 2 or 3 rifle hunt. Those hunts potentially might get real crowded.

Comment

Texas needs to help free up hunting land for Texas residents. Maybe implement a limited draw for non-resident hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
            So they change the otc bow hunts to draw only and do nothing to the gun hunts? Why would they do this? I
            I don’t understand this if they are trying to lower the harvest numbers. Isn’t archery success around 9% statewide on archery and around 22% gun success statewide. I would assume a lot more gun hunters than bow hunters also, so I don’t really see why the gun hunts didn’t change too.
            Passed in the newest 5 year plan. 2nd and 3rd season are pushed back a week later. And 3rd season is shortened 7 day season. Most of the tags are bull only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Now my plans change. Looks like I will burn points in a different part of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                Texas needs to help free up hunting land for Texas residents. Maybe implement a limited draw for non-resident hunters.
                Is there actually any demand for Texas public land hunting from out of state other than bighorn?

Comment

Some of you guys don't understand the west! Colorado has turned into combat hunting, and this is long overdue.

I'm sure the state will be 100% draw or at the least all caps in the next few years.

We have a terrible time managing predators out here. Bears alone are a big part of it, then factor in developments affecting migration routes or wintering grounds and its simply not sustainable to OTC hunting.

Then factor in the nonstop pressure from nonhunters (bikers, climbers, backpackers) which adds stress to calving areas in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    Sure calf mortality has nothing to do with the 30 year Record High Blk bear recruitment
                    Exactly. Not to mention Colorado will likely have forced wolf reintroduction on the ballot this fall.

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                    Spring bear for a $100 would be cool as hail!
                    Tree huggers banned spring bear hunting. As well as hunting with dogs.

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                    So they change the otc bow hunts to draw only and do nothing to the gun hunts? Why would they do this? I
                    I don’t understand this if they are trying to lower the harvest numbers. Isn’t archery success around 9% statewide on archery and around 22% gun success statewide. I would assume a lot more gun hunters than bow hunters also, so I don’t really see why the gun hunts didn’t change too.
                    Because gun hunts are where the state makes its money, and elk are hardest to shoot. More people hunt with rifle than bow. Last fall, we hunted bow. Never saw another party in the mountains, and saw plenty of elk. The first year, we hunted rifle. We saw people every day, shooting like it was opening day in Wisconsin. Also, those success numbers can't be right, 22% is way too high. Idaho has one of the highest success rates, and last year I think was 19%.

Comment

I’ve now hunted in one of the units listed 2 years in a row and never saw anyone until we went back to the truck .

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                        Is there actually any demand for Texas public land hunting from out of state other than bighorn?
                        I'm talking about Public and Private. Tons of Texas residents looking for hunting land. Residents should have priority over non-residents.

Comment

If they are worried about numbers why does this only effect Archery season and not Gun season? Gun hunters kill way more that Archery hunters.

Comment

I'm sure Elk Calf mortality in these units has NOTHING to do with the release of all the nuisance bears from populated areas such as Durango

They open up increased Bear Tags with CAPS in these areas at reduced rates, yet don't encourage additional population control of predators like Coyotes and Mt. Lions. CO has a great resource, but its run by Left-Wing idiots who mandate based on Disney Movies.

Comment

There was a big thread on this on Rokslide and Hunttalk. Also the upcoming changes to gun season dates and how it was shortened.

I've hunted units there were completely over run with people and two other times there were very few if any other hunters. I enjoy elk hunting and was hoping to do bow this year due to crazies during gun season, but that may change now.

Comment

Clearly anti-bowhunting! I read thru several pages of meeting minutes....limiting non-residents was high on the priority list.

Comment

Working...
                                X