No announcement yet.

Would you shoot a mountain lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No desire, but would be neat to see. I’ve killed 2 bobcats with a bow, and I won’t kill them anymore either

Comment

I have shot one and will do so again.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
        I feel like I smell a bunch of bs here. I really doubt so many of y’all wouldn’t shoot one if given the chance
        why would I want to kill one? you seldom see one around here or where I hunt, so killing one cat is not going to make any difference in nature. I assume they are not good to eat?? To me, I love seeing cats and foxes in nature, I prefer to watch them alive. Someone said bragging rights, but I am not the type of person that likes to brag anyway, so that is out. I could care less about mounts, I have one deer shoulder mounted and doubt I will ever do another, they don't appeal to me. Those are my reasons, I know not everyone feels the same. But to each his own, kill them if you like, I just happen not to have any desire to kill one.

Comment

I don't get the trophy or bragging rights aspect of opportunistically killing a ML or anything really. Might as well pick up roadkill and get it mounted. You were not trying to hunt or even see the animal you just randomly saw it and pulled the trigger. If you go hunt with dogs or are trying to call it in with purpose that's a different story.

I personally would not shoot one here; someday hunt with dogs out west maybe. The population in most of TX (excluding parts of west TX) is just not that high. You are not really doing anything for the "game management", and who gives a sh-t if they eat a few, most managers are trying to keep deer numbers below carrying capacity anyways.
          The safety question is a joke IMO, the last person that was killed in TX by a ML was over 100+ years ago.

I like the idea of them being on the landscape. Feels more wild. They get a heard enough time in TX as is, and by the majority of responses here and everyone else I talk to is that anytime one shows their face during the day they get blasted.

Comment

I feel like I smell a bunch of bs here. I really doubt so many of y’all wouldn’t shoot one if given the chance
            so why would we deny it if we really wanted to? I would like to see one, no interest in shooting one. the list of animals I want to hunt is pretty small, not sure why.

Comment

When I was younger, I would in a heartbeat. I have been hunting since I was a little kid and being 34 now, I am not near as trigger happy. I have alot of respect for them. I've watched Bobcats and Foxes and never an itch to kill them. Yotes on the other hand get a dirt nap. I do not like pack hunters and we have way too many on my land.

But like I posted earlier, if it here on my land where I live and my kids play, I would shoot a ML.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                The TC pic of the mountain lion chasing the deer got me to thinking about shooting one. Would you guys shoot a mountain lion if you were deer hunting here in Texas?

I would as our landowner wants all varmints shot on site as he has lots of livestock. But part of me thinks it would be super cool to just see one in person. I’ve only seen one my whole life (50 years).

In a heart beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you serious?

YES!!!!!

Comment

i have never had an interest in killing or hunting predators, and yes, i have seen the video of the deer eating the baby bird.

i guess its because they are meant to hunt, like we are, and prey are meant to be hunted. for some reason i think it would be weird to hunt something that isn't scared of me....some kind of deep spiritual thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                      i have never had an interest in killing or hunting predators, and yes, i have seen the video of the deer eating the baby bird.

i guess its because they are meant to hunt, like we are, and prey are meant to be hunted. for some reason i think it would be weird to hunt something that isn't scared of me....some kind of deep spiritual thing.
                      I view predators as my fellow hunters - kind of like we are on the same level of the food chain.

Disclaimers:
                      1) Yes, I might feel different if I lost livestock to them
                      2) Yes, I understand they kill deer - I don't mind the competition
                      3) Yes, I understand coyote populations need to be controlled in many areas
                      3) Yes, I know it's legal and I don't throw shade at anyone who kills them

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                        Not a rant truth
                        I have folks come packing major heat scared witless about hogs
                        Mountain lion bulls, mad cows, you name it, nothing like walking in the kitchen and
                        Finding some fool pulling out a glock showing it off talking about
                        Why they pack , and me telling them to take it and lock it in their truck , they are far more dangerous than any thing else on the ranch
                        Now my rant is over
                        Yes, for some reason wild hogs put the fear in some grown men as if they were in walking in grizzly country.. They pack heat or they wont go.. Its hilarious..
                        To much TV and YouTube I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                          The TC pic of the mountain lion chasing the deer got me to thinking about shooting one. Would you guys shoot a mountain lion if you were deer hunting here in Texas?

I would as our landowner wants all varmints shot on site as he has lots of livestock. But part of me thinks it would be super cool to just see one in person. I’ve only seen one my whole life (50 years).
                          Without flinching

Comment

Cats out of the bag

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                            I don't get the trophy or bragging rights aspect of opportunistically killing a ML or anything really. Might as well pick up roadkill and get it mounted. You were not trying to hunt or even see the animal you just randomly saw it and pulled the trigger. If you go hunt with dogs or are trying to call it in with purpose that's a different story.

I personally would not shoot one here; someday hunt with dogs out west maybe. The population in most of TX (excluding parts of west TX) is just not that high. You are not really doing anything for the "game management", and who gives a sh-t if they eat a few, most managers are trying to keep deer numbers below carrying capacity anyways.
                            The safety question is a joke IMO, the last person that was killed in TX by a ML was over 100+ years ago.

I like the idea of them being on the landscape. Feels more wild. They get a heard enough time in TX as is, and by the majority of responses here and everyone else I talk to is that anytime one shows their face during the day they get blasted.
                            The different owners of properties I run around on feel the same way and refer to no cats will be harvested in the hunting leases ( think Kennedy foundation, walker ranch’s, eagle mountain, ect)
                            These are different families or trust that have been in Texas since the 1800’s not tree hunger liberals
                            When I read post like this and see some one insisting ML and bobcats are a bucket list and they carry a .40 because they are scared or management minded
                            So please don’t send me pm’s looking for a deer lease
                            You guys stay on your 25 gun 100 acre leases , sit in your box , put some pea gravel in your feeders and fill up them buckets

Comment

Absolutely. As long as it was not a female with a cub or cubs. Otherwise, shame on it.

I would probably be so excited I would miss though...............

Took 7 attempts at bobcats due to wanting one so bad (and being younger and more inexperienced at the time - I am now 49) before getting one. And that is from ranges of 17 yards out to over 300 and shots with bows (missed 3 from 17-42 yards) and guns (all from over 100 to 1 over 300).

I haven't missed anything since leaving the Marines in '96 (other than 4 of the bobcats mentioned above) including a black buck doe at 843 yards. Most rifle shots were 150-275.

That is the reason I have been bow only since '07. The challenge is what I love now.

Comment

Absolutely

Comment

Working...
                                X