Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpaca holy cow

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
    I live here in sock making territory, North Carolina. I buy irregular socks at the local flea market. Dahlgren alpaca wool socks. The best ones I have ever found, and they are $3 a pair. The same socks in a hiking supply store are about 30 bucks.
    Alpaca is warmer than sheep's wool. Alpaca is softer than almost all sheep's wool. Merino can be close, but in order to be soft, it has to be processed in a certain way. ... Another major difference is that Alpaca is classified as "water-resistant", and is close to being "water-proof."

Comment

I have a pair of the alpaca socks, and they are warm. I have a lot of the smart wool that I bought when working in Alaska. The best thing that I have found is to carry a pair of arctic shield covers. Those are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
        I wear a good pair of moisture wicking socks and a pair of regular tube socks with a good pair of cold weather hunting boots. Key is to keep you feet dry and they will stay warm.
        My play as well.

Comment

Alpaca!

"Superwarm" Heavy Extreme Alpaca Socks Made in the USA! Warm, cushioned and durable. An alpaca sock like no other!

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
            Like I said they are pricey but I've tried all kinds of merino, smart wool, ect. For me the possum/merino blend you can find in NZ have been the warmest socks for me.
            Gonna try those New Zealand George Jones (looks nothing like the north AmericanGeorge jones btw) socks.

Not necessarily deep cold hunting socks but I love my foxriver OTC's for everyday winter time socks...
            Last edited by camoclad; 10-31-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

The warrior socks

We used these up in the artic circle ( long read)

If you're looking for the best hunting socks, look no farther. We know hunters want to be comfortable in the woods, not too hot, not cold. We created our Sylvan Camouflage Alpaca Wool Hunting Socks so they keep you warm weather walking through the field, crouching in a blind or sitting in a tree stand. These different types of activities cause the body to heat up or cool down. Our alpaca hunting socks react to your bodies temperature and provide you with the thermal regulation you require. Alpaca wool removes that "clammy" feel in warm weather, yet creates a "cozy" and super comfortable warmth in cold weather.

Alpaca wicks moisture and aids in cooling when exertion is high and when the weather takes a turn and cools down (or gets down right frigid) it insulates and warms, even if it gets wet. We've paired it with the finest microfibers for even better wicking and longevity. Microfibers are extra-fine fibers of acrylic (100X finer than a human hair) which changes the properties of the alpaca yarn giving it increased softness and an even better performance. Combined with baby alpaca wool, the yarn breathes exceptionally well, wicking moisture better than other socks.

Durable and comfortable alpaca wool hunting socks have a thick terry lined footbed with arch and ankle support, a ribbed shaft and a comfort band opening that will not bunch, slip or bind. No need for base layers or having to shed superfluous socks after the sun comes up. You wont want to go out in the field without them. We recommend picking boot that allows these socks to extended above the opening to ensure effective wicking.

Alpaca is naturally flame retardant, repels odor and dries quick, so one pair will last through a weekend in the woods. We know you'll love these alpaca hunting socks with their high quality and unparalleled fit - truly the toughest, most comfortable and best performing socks around.

Anti-microbial & hypoallergenic, its safe for everyone to wear.
              Naturally thermal & flame retardant - itch free.
              Reduces callus build up and eliminates abrasion which can cause blisters.
              Comfort leg band & smooth toe seam.
              Available in sizes for Men and Women
              Heavy weight - Crew height.
              Terry lined foot with arch and ankle support.
              Designed for all-day, multiple day wear.
              As shown - in Camouflage (no white areas)
              Machine wash in cold, air dry recommended.
              Socks will last longer if you keep them out of the tumble dryer, but should they get tumbled it will not destroy them. Do not use heat.

Don't be confused by content! More alpaca isn't always better. The content must fit the use of the socks. Many components have to be weighed in order to compose the finest alpaca socks. We have extensively researched and created the finest blend for the longest wear, best performance & easiest care. For more information read our article "Looking for 100% Pure Alpaca Socks?"

Comment

Ordered some. Gona try them out

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                  Best socks will come New Zealand and be a possum/wool combination. They are pricey and take a while to get here but are worth it as you'll never wear a warmer pair of socks. Google them and find a pair you like.

Possum fur is ranked 3rd warmest fur only behind polar bear and artic fox.
                  Gospel. I've got a pair. Really good investment.

Comment

Like said above Merino wool sock, but us antiperspirant on your feet so they don't sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                      Merino wool
                      Yes this warm even if wet

Comment

I ordered a pair. Got a $5 off coupon for first order. $27.xx shipped. Without a doubt the most expensive pair of socks I’ve bought. Usually get the Smartwool from various online stores.

Comment

These Alpaca look interesting. I currently wear Darn Tough Merino but if I am not moving and sitting they aren't super warm. Do the Alpaca have the same temperature regulation as wool but still keep you warm while at rest?

Comment

Darn Tough merino wool.

Comment

I wear Darn Tough socks year around and love these for hunting:

The Over-the-Calf hunting sock is our heaviest hunting sock. The padded Merino Wool construction add cushion and warmth for those long cold days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I use the Merino wool as well. I also will wear a sock liner underneath them. Keeps the feet from sweating.

Comment

Working...
                                X