Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hog problem this close to opening. What's my best solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog problem this close to opening. What's my best solution?

I've got a big mature 8 at the ranch that i was planning on going after as soon as the season opened up. Just pulled cards yesterday and the last two weeks we've had a big sounder move in almost nightly ( as early as 4pm) and deer activity has dropped significantly since then at this feeder, including only seeing that buck once in the last two weeks and my neighbor now has him more frequently at his feeder.

What's the best option this close to season? Typically if we shoot the pigs they'll leave the area for a long while, at least the specific sounder being shot at will, But we'll get more from a different sounder eventually. Or should i put up hog panels now and hope the deer get used to it quick?

I've put up hog panels and had deer in the pen within 2 hours of me driving off.

Comment

Hog panels asap and shoot all the pigs you can!

Comment

deer will be used to it by season start.

Comment

Hog panels work wonders. Make it larger - 2 panels per side. I've seen way more deer in larger pens.

Comment

Hog panels will be fine. I have found if you can locate the sounder when they are bedded and shoot some they will go a long way. If I shoot them at the feeder they tend to come back quickly. May be anecdotal, but it seems to work. Kind of like shooting turkey off the roost. :-)

Comment

My pigs do exactly like you mentioned at the end.

Shoot one and they bug out for a good bit or at least go nocturnal.

Comment

Good enough for me. I'm hooking up the gooseneck and grabbing some panels.

Comment

Tannerite will solve that in one shot. The deer will come back. The sounder will be dead.

Comment

Ended up doing both. My dad shot a +200lb hog as i was pulling up with the panels/posts. Got the feeder pen all set up. 16 panels around.

Comment

Good call. My bucks will sometimes keep eating in the pen as the hogs circle the round pen.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                        Ended up doing both. My dad shot a +200lb hog as i was pulling up with the panels/posts. Got the feeder pen all set up. 16 panels around.
                        That is a really big pen, well done. The deer are going to love all the protected space from those pigs. Im guessing your feeder will not even throw corn out of the pen so the pigs will not have a reason to be near it. Here's hoping the target buck relocates back to your set up.

Comment

Working...
                        X