New or Used Travel Trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New or Used Travel Trailer?

I am thinking about getting a travel trailer to live in for about six months (job assignment). Of course if more of this type of work comes up, I might continue to use it for that. The trailer would also be used for family getaways eventually.

My question is new or used? What say you? With vehicles I go used. I've only ever purchased one new vehicle and will not do it again cause of depreciation.

Bought one new and 3 used. My experiences, you will loose a lot of money on a new one if you do not keep it long. With that being said, the 3 used I have bought were not good experiences, to much went wrong after i got them and set them up.
    If I buy another it will be new, but not a very big one just for my deer lease and small trips! Just my opinion!

Comment

I've purchase two used and have not been burned, yet. I did search long and hard for the right one and wouldn't settle. Your going to have minor issues with any used, and sometimes new ones. They're all made cheap imo, and held together with tack nails and wood glue lol. If you expect some minor issues with a used one, and search hard, you can find a good one.

Comment

New,= warranty

Comment

Used, but look it over very good. Look for any sign of water damage. Make sure the floor all is solid and everything works. Looking at the roof wood be a good idea also.

Comment

Buy at least 4 years old, depreciation curve slows down a ton. Sell prior to 8 years old.

Look for solid floor and good roof.
            Ensure hitch structure has no cracks.

Comment

crankyape.com

We bought a boat and travel trailer through them...at severe discounts. Both quality...with some minor deferred maintenance hitches that were easily repaired.

I balked on several TTs (the wiff wanted) that were obviously from northen or coastal areas due to under carriage corrosion from climate or road salt.
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-21-2020, 08:58 PM. Reason: CorrosionSpake

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Got a lot of studying to do.

Comment

Based on your description of living in it full time, I would buy new.

I think the warranties are not worth the depreciation.

And I think they all will have some issues. I bought new cause it was worth not working on a used one. My 1st used one (and it was a bad buy from a widow who I felt sympathy for) was a POS and in the end I was having to do something to it every time I went.

Comment

Working...
                  X