1911 knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STI, Dan Wesson
    I would buy a Sig over a colt or springfield.
    Go buy a Rock Island or a Taurus to shoot and play around with to get the feel. Then get a good one to know the difference.

Comment

They're not cheap, but check out MG Arms...www.mgarmsinc.com.

Kerry O'Day is an artist. Made in Houston, TX.

His 1911 is called the Wraithe. Its the lightest 1911 I've held.

Comment

Buy the latest guns & gun parts online! Find quality weapons & accessories with fast shipping. Safe & secure purchases with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Shop now!

Spec out exactly what you want, guy owned Dan Wesson at one time. He knows his business and builds quality 1911's.

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
          Nighthawk.

I love my Alchemy, but also love diversity. So, If I ever get another semi-custom 1911 it will be a Nighthawk. One Smith handles the gun all the way through and they use no MIM. Not that there is anything wrong with quality MIM, I just don't think it should be in a $3K plus gun.

Comment

Really depends on your budget. The Nighthawks, Wilson, etc are great but high dollar. For a good mid price range gun look at Kimber. There has been some less than good comments about new ones but I haven't had any issues and I shoot them a lot. No experience with Springfield but they have a good reputation.

Comment

Buy the TBH STI that is in the classifieds and be happy you got it. Honestly STI is a great gun. If you want super high end then yea a Ed Brown or Nighthawk.

Comment

Love my Rock Island 9mm.

I've put 600 rds or through it. No issues yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                  I have always been into the 1911, and will be purchasing one soon.

Please chime in and give some recommendations.

I will not be concealing this pistol.
                  I want a 45, not a compact

From what I have been told, stick with a Springfield or a colt.

I’m wanting a high quality 1911, not a 600-800 dollar 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  You have a lot of options... I have a "few" 1911s and have owned dozens. My personal favorite is still my Springfield stainless TRP. I replaced a few parts with EGW and have a very, very crisp 3.5ish lb trigger that has no creep, grit, etc. The upper and lower slide feel like the are riding on bearings. It is extremely accurate. With the EGW parts, I'm probably $1300 all-in.

Please note that there can be bad units, defects, etc. with any manufacturer. I've not had any issues with any of my springfields but I like "shoot the dot" instead of 6 o'clock hold. I've sent every springfield back and they replaced the front sight to my liking free of charge and paid shipping both ways every time. Their customer service has always been top notch.

I bought ONE colt to experience "the real thing". Not only would they not correct the sight picture (it was low left) for free, they wouldn't pay shipping. It would have cost me at least $150 to address the front sight which I felt ridiculous for a >$1000 pistol that was brand new. I sold that colt and it was my last.

I believe Ruger will also stand behind their products in a similar manner. I've had an issue with a ruger pistol and received the same customer service I have with springfield but ruger doesn't officially state their warranty.

As a last note... IF you are willing to spend $2300 or so, the springfield professional is a pinnacle in the industry.

Edit: extra last note. I hate rails on a 1911.
                  Last edited by ken800; 01-27-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Another vote here for Dan Wesson, Les Baer or Wilson; absolutely love my Dan Wesson V-Bob

Comment

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post
                      Another vote here for Dan Wesson, Les Baer or Wilson; absolutely love my Dan Wesson V-Bob
                      Great weapons, indeed. Gonna pay for it, though, lol. I sold my Wilson and "downgraded" to the TRP and had a LOT of cash leftover, lol. Fantastic pistol, though. I still contend that the Springfield Professional which was around $2500 last I checked is the best product you can get in that price range. People are religious about their 1911s, though, and you can't go wrong with any of the quality makers. Just check that warranty/customer service...

Comment

I've had quite a few 1911 45's over the years. Kimber, Springfield, Sig and the best one I've owned so far is my RIA. It's the most accurate and flawless function of them all including the Sig which is #2. The RIA is strong enough to convert to 45 super (which I did) and also to 460 Rowland. Best part is when I bought it I only paid $325 NIB. The least accurate 1911 was the Kimber. Springfield was not much better. I put the Rock Island Arms pistols in the same category as Savage. They may be ugly but they shoot when you need them to.
                        My favorite carry pistol is my Sig 1911 C3 .45. Next favorite is my Sig P320 M18 9mm

Comment

Thinking now about cutting some small primer .308 Starline brass down and loading up some .450 SMC. All I need is a double recoil spring from Rowland and a ported barrel. Imagine 230 gr pills at 1400 fps and 1100 lbs energy

Comment

I want a wilson combat. Nighthawk and cabot 1911’s are very nice guns as well.

Comment

I like my Springfield Armory EMP4. 1911 style/action in 9mm. Very accurate and seems well made.

Comment

My buddy has a Ruger sr1911 in .45, I haven't shot it much just a couple of boxes , but I can't really gripe anything on it.
                                My next purchase will be the ruger in 10mm.
                                I would not get rid of my gold cup for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X