• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to beat the old faithful 30-06

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
      I misspoke. One caliber configuration of the gun I'm looking at comes with 28, but not the 6.5. My fault.

Call me a fanboy, but I'm looking at the weatherby vanguard meateater edition. Link here: MeatEater Edition
      I love weatherby but imo for that price there are better options. If you're set on that gun I'd go with the 6.5-300wby just because. I really like my 6.5, it's cheap to shoot, has no recoil and has killed everything I've used it on but it won't do anything your current mix doesn't cover

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
        Or a 7-08. I know, not on the list. Good luck with your search!
        I second this! 7mm-08 has become my favorite go to cartridge. 400yds and in it will handle anything in TX. I think it is the best of both worlds between the .308 and the .243. Hard hitting and low recoil. What more could you want in a Texas hunting cartridge?

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
          I love weatherby but imo for that price there are better options. If you're set on that gun I'd go with the 6.5-300wby just because. I really like my 6.5, it's cheap to shoot, has no recoil and has killed everything I've used it on but it won't do anything your current mix doesn't cover
          Me too on the Weatherby. I used a .300 exclusively for years. If going with a Weatherby rifle in .300 I would certainly recommend a Mark V action.

Comment

I just checked that rifle out online and it seems that the barrel lengths are 24-26" depending on caliber. Out of what is available i personally would choose 308.

Comment

I currently have in my stable, 22-250, 243, 25-06, 308, 30-06. Every one of them kill deer and hogs. The 22-250 is pretty much retired do to age but we bring it out to let some first timers shoot about once per year, it has far more kills than any of the others and it is fun to shoot it is an old 788 model, all the rest are 700's all have had the triggers replaced and set at 2 pounds or less some have more mods all of them see work every year and have not failed to do their part if we do ours. But to me the 2 that are the most fun to shoot is the 22-250 first and the 25-06 second.

Comment

since i want a 22-250...you should get one....one of us should be happy!

Comment

From the list you provided: 308 gets er done.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    Seems to me you need a good varmint rig...if your .270 & Dad's 300 are good shooters I see no reason for a 308 or wby.

If I were in your shoes, I would get a 22-250 or a 220 swift to round out the calibers...nothing funner than speed demons.
                    I am with Artos here, 270 is so versatile and your covered on the top end with 300 M. Like you I am covered for but still almost pulled the trigger on a 280 A.I.

Comment

well, to be fair 'everybody' who hunts with a long gun needs a 280AI before they die or quit killing deer...been shooting one way before they were cool.

Comment

So did you pick up your meateater super edition yet? What caliber did you choose?
                        I have a regular old vanguard s2 in 30.06 that I like a lot even though its not as cool as the one Steve put together.

Comment

.22-250 is a good rec

with the winny you've got I'd take the mags and the 300 weatherby off your list.

also might consider a 7mm-08 as an alternative to another .30 cal.

Comment

Too bad they dont offer in 7mm-08 or better yet .280ai. Those would be excellent choices.
                            Of the ones listed I would go .308.

Comment

I’d go with a 30-06 in a Remington 700 bdl. It’s a timeless classic

Comment

This thread is a fascinating study in "reading comprehension."

Comment

Working...
                                X