Omega suppressor issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omega suppressor issue

I took my son hunting over the weekend and threaded the omega on the end of the ruger American Grendel as I always do but when I tried removing it the whole sleeve/body of the suppressor started spinning whiteout the rear adapter unthreading off the muzzle. Basically it felt as if the body spun without anything else spinning. I understand the rear and front caps can be removed but I’m certain that the sleeve itself may have spun or is that not a possibility?

I guess anything is possible I’d give SICO a call.

Comment

Is it not just the rear cap unscrewing from the suppressor body? Try threading it all the way off to check. Once the suppressor body is removed you can get the rear cap off with a wrench. The inside of the cap has flats to take it off with a wrench.

Comment

It’s a known issue with the Omegas. The welds from the tube to the body failed. Call SiCo. They’ll get you taken care of.

Comment

I'm not even sure they are welded to begin with? When mine seperated and I called, they indicated that they use rockset for the repair. When I took the sleeve off mine you could see the powdery residue that indeed looked a lot like rockset. Haha. Knowing that, I just cleaned everything real well and applied more rockset. It has not given me any more trouble since.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
            I'm not even sure they are welded to begin with? When mine seperated and I called, they indicated that they use rockset for the repair. When I took the sleeve off mine you could see the powdery residue that indeed looked a lot like rockset. Haha. Knowing that, I just cleaned everything real well and applied more rockset. It has not given me any more trouble since.
            You may be correct. I was thinking they had a few small tack welds in there as well as rocksett. The tack welds may have been the “fix” though. The issue first started piping up 5-6 years ago at least, and was pretty common with certain batches.

Comment

That rear adapter just screws into the body. You can get different rear adapters as well as front caps. This happens to mine all the time. I just screw it back down really hard and it usually frees up the threads on the barrel and unscrews.

Comment

Thank-you guys for all the input. I’ll see this evening if I can disassemble it completely.

Comment

Post pics if you think about it. I have an omega as well but it's not moving from rifle to rifle much

Comment

Working...
                  X