AR Going Full-Auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR Going Full-Auto

Bought the Ruger AR some months ago and the 8+ lb trigger had to go. Bought a Velocity Trigger at 2.5 lb weight and installed it. It has doubled on me at least 3 or 4 times, all off the bench. Contacted the company and they said to be sure it was torqued down tightly, which I thought I did, but didn't fix it. They said "send it back to us" which I did Friday and talked to them today---a case of "unable to duplicate the problem" which I only thought happened with car/truck problems and the dealer. They are sending it back with new screws and a base plate so we'll see. If the problem continues they are going to replace it.

I don't like the situation as the hogs are begging to parade in front of my thermal, but I do appreciate their quick response and willingness to accept it back if necessary. I should have it back this week, so back to the bench to install, then to the range to zero. If it is fixed, then hogs, here I come.

Had a buddy who had a trigger double up on him. Couldn't figure it out. finally realized a cheap primer had blown a chunk under the seat, into that tiny little spring, and caused just enough havoc to cause it to double.

Comment

My step dad bought the same trigger and it doubles every time we go to the range...sounds like a common problem

Comment

What’s wrong with going full auto on hogs?

Comment

Sounds like pure fun to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
            My step dad bought the same trigger and it doubles every time we go to the range...sounds like a common problem
            I will keep this in mind--they also told me that the non-metal uppers are so flexible that it often causes this problem. The Ruger is metal, so that shouldn't be part of the problem.

And, while it might be fun to go full auto on hogs, I don't have the license for a full-auto and don't want the po-po to come get me and take me away if they hear it rip off a burst.

Comment

Ive seen this issue with several drop in style AR triggers. Not really brand specific.

Comment

Are you shooting Hog Hammer ammo?
                I threw all of mine away as they were causing double taps from bench. Went back to normal ammo and I couldn't replicate.

Comment

It’s definitely a common problem with drop in triggers in ARs. I personally don’t run anything lighter than 3 lbs in my ARs. I’ve had this issue multiple times and it’s usually because of the light single stage triggers.

Comment

I have one of those triggers. Never a double tap, but have had ftf on 7.62x39 and 5.56 military ammo. I moved that lower to one that is a wildcat round and only uses commercial primers in my reloads.

Comment

Have a velocity in a 6.8, lightest trigger they offer. Never had one double tap.

Comment

I’ve had a Geissle do the same thing. Went through the trigger and bolt carrier group multiple times. Thought it might be the disconnector, but the rifle was brand new. Tried dry firing and racking the bcg while holding the trigger to see if the hammer was riding the bolt home, but I could not replicate it. Ended up being user error. This was their super light 3 gun trigger, and I tried to treat it like a bolt action. I was palming the pistol grip, and gently pressing the trigger like I would a precision bolt rifle. There was a short enough reset on that trigger, and just enough recoil to get the firing sequence caught in a loop. I had such light pressure on the trigger face and no support on the rear of the pistol grip, so when the shot broke the recoil was able to reset the trigger, and the forward momentum of the bcg slamming home sent the trigger right back into my finger. All in fractions of a second. It only happened once, and was only three rounds, but that was enough. Now AR’s get shot like AR’s, and I save benchrest techniques for the bolt guns.

Comment

Like cblackall Had a les baer with a jewell that would do it but only on the bench when shooting for groups as I was free recoiling & easing into the trigger set under a pound for groups. Not really uncommon since the reset couldn't catch.

Next time you shoot check to see if the reset is working properly by making sure you hold the trigger & release to hear / feel the reset click. Just curious if yours isn't catching while doubling vs what I experienced.
                          Last edited by Artos; 08-14-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craw3773 View Post
                            Had a buddy who had a trigger double up on him. Couldn't figure it out. finally realized a cheap primer had blown a chunk under the seat, into that tiny little spring, and caused just enough havoc to cause it to double.
                            x2 had the same problem once

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X