4h question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4h question

my daughter is intrested in raising rabbit, but i can't find anything online that's any help. we've never been in 4h and are really considering it this year. anyone been there, done that here?

Well, we made the mistake of getting two at the same time for our kids (way back when), and found out really quick after they got a little bigger, that you cannot put two bucks (males) together.

Two bucks will fight to the death sometimes while trying to establish dominance. I know this first hand because my son's rabbit chewed a hole the size of a golf ball in the back of my daughter's rabbit.

My son really did not have that much intrest in his rabbit, so he (the rabbit....not my son )had to go to another home. My daughter has had Brownie for about 6 or 7 years now.

We don't do 4H but maybe that little tid bit of info will help you to not make the mistake we did. Good luck.

Greg

Comment

Call your local county extension agent. He/she will be able to help. My kids raised 4-h rabbits. Californian are what you want for meat pens.(i.e. 3 rabbits that will make the sale.)

Comment

If you do get a male and female, keep them seperate, or be prepared to have a whole bunch of little ones running around.

Comment

Well first of all do you plan to show breeders or fryers? Look on the Texas extension service website there are pdf worksheets on all kinds of show projects.

Comment

thanks guys, she is/may still be a cheer leader so the rabbits will be for show at the local and maybe, if we're lucky the san antonio stock show.

Comment

As for rabbits, I know nothing. Also, I have never been in 4H but my wife has and loved it. She said it was a great experience for her and she made lifelong friends. She expects our kids to do the same. Based on that I would call the extension agent and get the contact info.

Comment

Working...
              X