First Point Bowhunting Rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Point Bowhunting Rut

Who all as hunted the rut at first point, and what tips do you have?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brush your blind in really really well. Don't have ant cut ends of branches sticking out.

You'll hear Bo coming in the Sami about 80mph and he'll fling out 3 crenels of corn in front of you, about 5 min later you start seeing deer.

Make sure your shooting window is small or they will bust you and your hunt is over.

Bo has some nice deer out there, Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
      Brush your blind in really really well. Don't have ant cut ends of branches sticking out.

You'll hear Bo coming in the Sami about 80mph and he'll fling out 3 crenels of corn in front of you, about 5 min later you start seeing deer.

Make sure your shooting window is small or they will bust you and your hunt is over.

Bo has some nice deer out there, Good luck.
      That sums up about 300 threads on First Point really well.

Op-I've never been but have hunted a couple of other popular bow hunting day leases. One ran extremely well and still very hard to hunt. They grow up around bow hunters and we tend to educate them by being somewhat careless around does and young bucks, especially yearlings. They learn and remember.

They're great fun and a real value in deer hunting even if you don't kill as you'll learn so much.

As said above brush brush brush. But, you have to be strategic in making it look natural. Large blobs of brush, black holes, broken limbs, camo netting all will be picked about by a 3 year old buck or most any doe. You could hide behind a ping pong paddle to kill a 2 year old buck but that's not the goal.

Tent blinds seem to not work on that place and I get it. Not enough cover to properly hide one. You need large oaks or the such with heavy undergrowth.

Most people build brush blinds. To further reduce the size of your blind dig a hole for your feet and legs allowing you to sit one the ground. This reduces your overall silhouette by 2 feet. The old stadium bleacher seats are make great chairs at this point.

Corn....Don't pile the corn as that's another tip off. Cast a wide net when hand corning on the first day then reduce it's size to your shooting area. This will catch deer passing by. If hunting off the road, find a place where two or more trails intersect, likely between bedding and feeders or water. Preferably these intersections will typically have some visibility or opening so that when one deer stops to eat, others will see it and come check it out.

Use a bow holder that steaks into the ground. Place it just off your right shoulder if right handed and keep anything required nearby so you minimize movement. Remove anything noisy from your pack, plastic water bottles being one of the worst offenders.

Best of luck to ya.

Comment

Thank you for the input! I have been there before outside of the rut so mainly just looking for information pertaining to the rut on this ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hoggslayer pretty well summed it up. Aint a deer on the ranch that hasn’t dealt with hunters for three months or more each fall. My son has hunted it several times and managed three decent bucks, probably 40/50% success. That’s pretty good odds for a day hunting situation where you have no control over who did what in your area before you got there.

Oh, and there are some **** grown rattlers down there. I killed a six footer that was as big as my calf…….

Comment

Working...
          X