Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
    Coho, Alaska, 2009.
    WooWee! Would love to get one of those on my line someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      Shane, I have a long time friend who recently bought a vacation home in Angel Fire. We went out with them in late January to check out the area. I gave him a 4wt Echo rod, reel, line, net and some wading boots! Told him he needs to get back into fly fishing (he grew up in Colorado Springs and fly fished as a teenager, but hasn't since then). It worked! He called and wants us to go out in late May and fish for 2-3 days while the wives chill.

I PMed NMStickFlinger3, and he recommended Nick and Taylor Streit, who own Taos Fly Shop. Not sure exactly where we will fish, but for sure the Cimarron and maybe the Rio Grande if we old coots can traverse down to it. Generally, it will be in the Angel Fire, Taos area. Eventually, I would like to get out on Eagle's Nest Lake and hook into some Pike!

http://www.streitflyfishing.com/
      Taylor Streit has been guiding there forever. I've heard good things about him, but I've never fished with him. I have a buddy that also lives in Taos and guides, so I fish with him whenever I want a guide in that area. Cimarron is fun. So is the Rio. We usually go behind the mountain at Questa to the Wild Rivers area and go down there. You can get to the Red from there as well, including the confluence of the Red and the Rio. Going down to the river is easy. Coming back up the canyon is the hard part.

Comment

Not an expert but a 30 year student of flyfishing. I can assure you a fly will outfish any other legal forms. It does not take a professional fly rodder to accomplish this either.

Wilk

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Taylor Streit has been guiding there forever. I've heard good things about him, but I've never fished with him. I have a buddy that also lives in Taos and guides, so I fish with him whenever I want a guide in that area. Cimarron is fun. So is the Rio. We usually go behind the mountain at Questa to the Wild Rivers area and go down there. You can get to the Red from there as well, including the confluence of the Red and the Rio. Going down to the river is easy. Coming back up the canyon is the hard part.

Who is the guide you know from Taos? Spencer Seim by chance?

Comment

Another one brother include me on your list

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
              Who is the guide you know from Taos? Spencer Seim by chance?
              No, it's Mark Cowan. He's a real estate appraiser for his main job, but he guides all over the world. He guides occasionally with Van Beacham at the Solitary Angler in Taos as well.

TexasThe very best wadeable flats for redfish and sea trout in the United StatesMore InfoTanzaniaLocated in a private game concession of about 2,000,000

Comment

Tour of Texas; Baffin Bay Speckled Trout
                The Baffin complex, which includes Alazan Bay, Cayo del Grullo and Laguna Salada is the most remote bay system on the Texas Gulf Coast. It reaches west of the Laguna Madre, about midway between Corpus Christi and Port Mansfield, isolated from the open Gulf by Padre Island. This large bay complex is unique in many ways. Due to its lack of any major freshwater drains and any open passes leading to the Gulf of Mexico, Baffin Bay has a higher salinity level then any other bay in the area. Its is believed that the high salinity levels help the trout grow larger because the fish are not stressed by constantly having to adjust to varying salinity levels. It is also believed that since the bay is protected from the Gulf of Mexico that sharks, dolphin and other large predatory fish typically do not move into the bay to prey on the trout. Serpulid reefs are found no where else on the Texas coast and are unique to Baffin. Living and growing serpulid reefs occur in only a few other areas of the world. These reefs are dated from 300 to 3,000 years old. Serpulid worms (after the family of tube-building worms, Serpulidae) and much like coral reef-building animals, making their tube homes out of calcium carbonate. Over time, these tubes build up into very large rock-like reef structures. While there are some living worms still found on these reefs, there are no reports the reefs are building or enlarging at this time.

Continue Reading Here

Comment

I trout fished a bit when I was stationed at Carlisle Barracks, PA, but now it is just bass, crappie, and panfish in Tx tanks and the Guadalupe River. Here's one I caught several years back--

Comment

Whats normally called a pond is called a tank in Texas. Your average cow will drink roughly 25 gallons of water a day during our scorching summers. To provide water for their livestock ranchers started building tanks by bull dozing a dirt dam across a gully to collect runoff. Today many of these tanks are supplemented by wells that pump cool fresh ground water keeping these tanks full of water. They started getting stocked by sportsman and ranchers with bass and other game fish and frankly some just got fish in them from unknown sources. These tanks can be located in some of the most water barren parts of the state, but somehow they hold fish and other amphibians like bullfrogs and red ear sliders. They are a great fishing opportunity that shouldn't be over looked. The fishing is normally pretty easy due to the lack of fishing pressure and the small size of these water impediments. No matter what the conditions are like, (high pressure, cold front or clear windless days) you can almost always find a few fish that are willing to add a smile to your day.

Full Report Here

2.5lb crappie

Comment

anyone here have any experience fishing the clearwater for stealheads?

Comment

Fly sticks

Left: MHX Custom self build - Galvan reel - Rio Outbound short 1.5 sec sink on the upper 10ft

Middle: TFO BVK - Ross reel - Scientific Anglers Mastery redfish float

Right: Scientific Anglers

Little Deadlies with weed guards for the Laguna Madre grassy flats

Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

The sunfish family is probably the single most species of fish responsible for getting new anglers started in fishing. Sunfish, bream or panfish is a common collective name to refer to the many species that make up the sunfish family. Sunfish refers to a whole group of small fish that are pretty, plentiful and pugnacious. They aren’t the biggest fish but as they say it’s not the size of the fish in the fight that counts; it’s the size of the fight in the fish. Fishing for these guys is a ball on a slow fly rod like a TFO 3wt Finesse or your favorite glass rod. Sunfish are deep-bodied, which gives them a lot of surface area to leverage against the water during a fight and with their flat, slender bodies and fins they can accelerate and change direction quickly. The best thing about fishing for sunfish is you only need the most basic equipment. A 2, 3 or 4 weight fly rod is ideal, a click pawl reel and a standard weight forward floating line. Fly rods can be 6-9 foot because rarely will you be casting pass a few rod lengths. A medium to slow rod will be the most sporting and will allow these feisty fish to put a good bend into the cork of the rod. A very basic eight foot leader in 4x tipped with the most popular fly in the world a wooly bugger. Olive, black or brown wooly buggers in size 10-14 will catch gills all day long. Very rarely are these fish picky on flies and when you find a few dozen of them on their classic honey comb beds; it’s a rear occasion to not get a hit after two or three strips. Sunfish are found everywhere, from small creeks, neighborhood ponds, lakes, rivers and don’t pass up some of the small landscaping ponds found around shopping malls, banks and other suburban areas. Spawning from late spring to early fall these fish will populate any body of water they live in rather quickly. The best time to find the biggest females is the days leading up to the full moon. This is when they move up to spawn and can be target quiet easily on a fly rod. Typically these bigger fish will only be up in the shallows at night and at grey light. You’ll catch fish all day long on the beds but if you are looking for Bullgills, it is best to come back during the night to target these fish. Bullgills are the biggest of the bluegills and will break 10” and weigh over a pond. The current Texas state record bluegill is just over 2lbs and was caught in the Lampasas River in 1999. There are many private bass ponds where these fish are fed high protein pellets several times a day and for the private water record in Texas the current record is over 3lbs. I’m sure many have been caught even bigger but the bluegill in these ponds are meant to grow big bass and probably don’t get much consideration for anything else.

Continue Reading Here

Comment

Where do you guys order your flies online??? Wondering what else is out there other than cabelas

Comment

95%

95% of all my fishing now is with a fly. I will be fly fishing the Devil's River next Thur-Monday. Can't wait for some of those smallmouths on the fly.

Comment

95%

95% of all my fishing now is with a fly. I will be fly fishing the Devil's River next Thur-Monday. Can't wait for some of those smallmouths on the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X