No announcement yet.

"the pasture"....long read and pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just remember on a smaller place cover is key. Dont go thinning it too much just because a biologist recommended it.

Comment

yeah, i plan on keeping the sanctuary as thick as possible and really just plan on targeting the cedars that are underneath and around the oaks. the black locust can all die for all i care...lol, and there are only about 15-20 of them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
        Just remember on a smaller place cover is key. Dont go thinning it too much just because a biologist recommended it.
        Exactly, what does a biologist know about wildlife anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
          Exactly, what does a biologist know about wildlife anyway
          A biologist may or may not have your goals for the property in mind......

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            A biologist may or may not have your goals for the property in mind......
            So are you saying it might go like this......you call the biologist out to your property and tell he/she "I want to make my place a deer hunting/ wildlife heaven, how would I go about doing so?" Then the said biologist may purposely lead you in the wrong direction?

Comment

Theres no need for those kind of comments...

All im saying is every biologist has their style, and some may not be in line with your plans and goals.

That is why you bring them out to consult, not hire them to manage your ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                Theres no need for those kind of comments...

All im saying is every biologist has their style, and some may not be in line with your plans and goals.

That is why you bring them out to consult, not hire them to manage your ranch.
                So if you can't trust a biologist whom's profession is to provide the public with accurate and site specific advice when given a clear goal or intent, who then can you rely on?

Comment

So if you can't trust a biologist whom's profession is to provide the public with accurate and site specific advice when given a clear goal or intent, who then can you rely on?

You can trust them, but all have different opinions. Some say to kill all spikes, others leave them alone. One might invision clearing all the cedars, another might invision planting sawtooth oaks.

I am only a year out from becoming a certified wildlife biologist, and the numbers of opinions on things between my peers is vast.

Take it for what it is worth but obviously (since im in the process of becoming one) i am not saying not to listen to them. Absorb what they say and apply it to fit your vision.

Comment

So are you saying it might go like this......you call the biologist out to your property and tell he/she "I want to make my place a deer hunting/ wildlife heaven, how would I go about doing so?" Then the said biologist may purposely lead you in the wrong direction?
                    I'm saying that a biologist may have differing opinions on how to achieve their view of a "deer hunting / wildlife heaven". Don't blindly follow him just because he has "biologist" in his title.

For example I had a biologist come to my place when I was trying to convert to a wildlife exemption. He told me I needed to clear out lots of mesquites and honey locust in one area. I wanted that area as thick as possible because I wanted to make it a deer bedding area. He said my place was too small to make an effective bedding area.

So of course I did not take his advice and thickened it up by hinge cutting the crap out of that area. It is thick as heck in there and now it is a fantastic bedding area. Lots of deer pour out of that bedding area in the evenings. They never did before I hinged it!!

jshouse I apologize if we are highjacking your thread.
                    Last edited by unclefish; 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM.

Comment

no highjacking here sir, this is a discussion forum and stuff like this benefits everyone.

i agree with unclefish and sippy, the biologists' intent is to make your placea "WILDLIFE heaven," not necessarily a DEER heaven. the management plan is broken into 7 parts and to qualify you have to be doing at least 3 of the parts in a manner that suit TPWD to qualify for the exemption.

part of my plan that is providing bird houses and owl boxes around the property, another part is using a bucket on a tractor and enlarging several small low spots i have that hold water, he advised making them up to a foot deeper and 10-20ft longer to make them more attractive for small animals and amphibians/reptiles.

he also suggested easy things to do to improve my habitat for rabbits, squirrels, etc.

so it was obvious that he/they (TWPD) is more concerned with the overall wildlife appeal of the place and not JUST the appeal for whitetails, which is fine and in the long run will make my place even more enjoyable, but i will still be implementing whitetail specific improvements i have picked up as well that he may not have been totally on board with.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                        no highjacking here sir, this is a discussion forum and stuff like this benefits everyone.

i agree with unclefish and sippy, the biologists' intent is to make your placea "WILDLIFE heaven," not necessarily a DEER heaven. the management plan is broken into 7 parts and to qualify you have to be doing at least 3 of the parts in a manner that suit TPWD to qualify for the exemption.

part of my plan that is providing bird houses and owl boxes around the property, another part is using a bucket on a tractor and enlarging several small low spots i have that hold water, he advised making them up to a foot deeper and 10-20ft longer to make them more attractive for small animals and amphibians/reptiles.

he also suggested easy things to do to improve my habitat for rabbits, squirrels, etc.

so it was obvious that he/they (TWPD) is more concerned with the overall wildlife appeal of the place and not JUST the appeal for whitetails, which is fine and in the long run will make my place even more enjoyable, but i will still be implementing whitetail specific improvements i have picked up as well that he may not have been totally on board with.
                        Thank you, this is the response I was looking for to make sense of it. I was going off the premise that you had contacted the biologist for advice on primarily improving your property for deer hunting not just for the wildlife exemption standpoint.

Just to give a little background on why I was so concerned with the thought process that was being shown here-

I actually worked with the Ag extension agency for more than 3 years across the state of TX while I was at TAMU getting my degree in Rangeland Ecology and Management (wildlife forage emphasis) as well as Agronomy. Although I dealt more with research and development of new wildlife and livestock forage strategies I interacted with extension biologists nearly daily. Most if not all the ones I dealt with we're big hunters and loved setting management plans in place for fellow hunters in need of direction.

But again I digress I appreciate the response and can now understand why some of the comments were made.
                        Last edited by Moose; 04-04-2013, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Lots of Nice Deer

Comment

Thank you, this is the response I was looking for to make sense of it. I was going off the premise that you had contacted the biologist for advice on primarily improving your property for deer hunting not just for the wildlife exemption standpoint.

Just to give a little background on why I was so concerned with the thought process that was being shown here-

I actually worked with the Ag extension agency for more than 3 years across the state of TX while I was at TAMU getting my degree in Rangeland Ecology and Management (wildlife forage emphasis) as well as Agronomy. Although I dealt more with research and development of new wildlife and livestock forage strategies I interacted with extension biologists nearly daily. Most if not all the ones I dealt with we're big hunters and loved setting management plans in place for fellow hunters in need of direction.

But again I digress I appreciate the response and can now understand why some of the comments were made.
                            no prob man, it is all helpful info for people in this boat.

Comment

Nice deer! Pm sent

Comment

thanks, pms returned...

Comment

Working...
                                X