Food plot questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot questions

I have about a half acre I would like to plant for a fall plot. The soil is really good sandy loam next to a pond. We have lots of clover in the Pecan Orchard. However my set up is not close to it. If it where your plot what would you plant as an attractant that is hearty? Also when should I plant it? I am a complete nubby to food plots.
    Last edited by bowaddict40; 02-03-2019, 05:26 PM.

Hard to beat a mix of oats, wheat and turnip or mustard greens

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      Hard to beat a mix of oats, wheat and turnip or mustard greens
      When should I plant them? Late March?

Comment

Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
          When should I plant them? Late March?
          For a fall plot plant in September or October. For summer plot of something like iron or clay peas you can plant in March

Comment

To get them comng to a Fall plot, plant a Spring plot. Beans, peas any legume that they will eat. The key is to get them coming to your plot before Fall. Plant your Spring plot on the last week of April thru May.

Plant your Fall plot in September. Experiment with brassicas and see what they like. Rape, Sugar Beets are some good ones. Winter Wheat, clovers, oats are all good. Plant a blend of seeds to cover Fall and Winter. When you plant your Fall plot, you do not have to plow your Spring Plot under, just broadcast your seed into the existing plot.

Get your soil tested. Lime and fetilize accordingly.

Comment

Working...
            X